Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:51:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Bendarc/Crownarc

Started by JuneC, October 01, 2010, 09:10:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

October 06, 2010, 06:51:24 pm #30 Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:58:37 pm by JuneC
That's what I was wondering.  Is the shape really so complex that I can't reproduce it with a good 20" x 30" piece of wood?   Seriously....  ???  I could even buy a new router bit for the pipe depression and still come out ahead.  I'll have to watch the video.  That block still needs something on the back side to hold the leg in place.  What do you call that part anyway?  

Mike, as I understand it, distributors for the "Arc" company have to sell at suggested retail - or maybe I've been fed a line.  On the internet, the only company selling for less than list is that KingRichardCo website that sells everything but baby booties (and maybe they sell those as well).  I haven't called them to see what the "real" price is - their T's and C's state that the web prices may not be current.  Yeah, right... 

BTW, your Jax facility continues to ship right on schedule.  I only have to order and it shows up the next day via UPS by Ground.  Kudos to the guys in the warehouse  :D

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Darren Henry

QuoteThat block still needs something on the back side to hold the leg in place

Check the vid June. They have a 2X4 screwed to the table for that purpose. What I found cool with that set up was that you can use it as a vice to keep both leg's pointed the same direction ---unlike mammoth rug an UGH.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

scarab29

I'm no carpenter. If I was to try to copy that block of wood , it would take me all day. I tell my customers I'll close the shop for the day and work for them for 1500. $250 to me ain't bad for a tool I'll make a lot of money with and will most likely last me the life of my business.
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Mike8560

I bought mine about 18 years ago and it's still going string June. The thing I like is it's easy and fast just clamp your pipe on the proper width  mark and pu the arm. Spin it reclamp and bend agsinn. Thenover to the crowners  and 5 cranks or so and your done bada bing bada boom

Peppy

June- My wheel is no where near as fancy as that one. Plywood cut with a jig saw and sanded. It's bent thousands of bars. My brother's a carpenter and I'm sure for $100 he'd make you one you could eat dinner off. I'm sure it works, probably better than mine, but at $60 an hour shop rate I think I could make something comparable in 3 hours. And sheesh, the most important part (the brake) is the one part they don't give you!  And instead of the teardrop shape, I just give a tug every 3". I have a line drawn on the table to tug to.

If your building one; subtract from your radius the width of your tube. IE- my 9" bends are made on a wheel with an actual diameter of about 15 1/2"ish. (Thats a 7 3/4"ish radius) Thats accounting for the thickness of the tube + a little bit cause you have to bend past the point your looking for for it to spring back to it's resting place.

>Darren- screw 2 blocks to a table an inch or two apart and give'r the 'custom kink'. Which used to be provided to dissasisfied customers with puddling tops with the bosses forehead while the customer went out for coffee. Hence why we build tops premade with the 'custom kink'

>Mike- The less Bayliner Capri's the better! I made a top on one a couple years ago, and it almost pulled the window off the boat!
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

Peppy

Quote from: Mike8560 on October 07, 2010, 04:47:49 pm
I bought mine about 18 years ago and it's still going string June. The thing I like is it's easy and fast just clamp your pipe on the proper width  mark and pu the arm. Spin it reclamp and bend agsinn. Thenover to the crowners  and 5 cranks or so and your done bada bing bada boom

I must say Mike, it does sound good. And what Darren said about the force applied where it counts, my legs do get a slight bow from pulling them. If you grab the bar always in the same spot it's not the end of the world.

The bendarc is on my wish list. After another drill, more gromets, if you don't have a good foam saw get one of them, a good router would be nice......
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering