Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 06:49:15 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How's everyone liking their servo-motor?

Started by sofadoc, August 02, 2010, 02:54:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

I have been VERY happy with mine. But last week I was delivering a job in Dallas, when I took a wrong turn, and stumbled up on an industrial sewing machine service center. My sewing needs are all set right now, but I just had to mosey in and take a gander at what they had. As I looked at their walking foot machines, the following conversation took place:
Salesman: All of our machines come with a new stand, and an UPGRADED motor.
Me: You mean a servo-motor?
Salesman: NO!! I mean a 1/2 hp clutch motor upgraded to a 3/4 hp. We don't mess with servo-motors, they're too unreliable.
Me: Really? I've been very happy with my servo-motor.
Salesman: How long have you had it?
Me; Almost a year.
Salesman (throwing his head back laughing): Well, you just wait, you'll be lucky if it lasts more than a year.
He went on to say that a "true" servo-motor is about $900. He added that these $150-$175 servo-motors are what he calls "rheostat" motors, and aren't any good.
I've read a lot of threads on this forum about servo-motors, and can't remember ANYONE saying anything negative.
So, how'bout it America? Anybody had one crap out on you? Or did I just happen to run up on a salesman that had some clutch motors to unload?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

I remember a thread where Gregg from Keystone said the early servo motors were not big enough, or efficient enough, or something for industrial machines, and that they are have gotten better.

I made a note in my sewing machine notes to make sure I address this issue when I get a new sewing machine.

Other than that, my clutch is running well enough to not require me to replace it with a servo. But, from what I have read, I will do so if needed.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I can say that now today that there is no reason at all for anybody to go with a standard clutch motor over a sub $200.00 motor.  Just as long as you choose the one of the better ones. 

I could go on and write paragraphs about this, but I would find myself coming back to what I just said. 

I'll say this; on same model machines, nobody walks out with a clutch motor any more, even sewers with lots of experience.

And...what makes people think that a new and no so improved clutch motor is any more reliable than a sub $200 one? 

lamx

My servomotor is one of the early ones, I have had it about 5-6 years.  It is only 1/4 hp but it powers my 111W155 and my Pfaff 138 just fine.  It is not my only motor, I have 4 power stands and only one servomotor, so it is only used part time but I have had no trouble with it yet.
    I like the fact that the servomotor does not run constantly and that I don't have to think when I operate the foot pedal, just press 'n' go.  Newer models might have overcome this, but my motor has five definite steps rather than a smooth transition from zero to sixty.  Usually that's okay, but occasionally I would like to sew at a speed between those steps and can't.
    My other three power stands all have clutch motors and I have no problem sewing with a clutch motor or switching between servomotor and clutch motor.  I contend that if your sewing head and clutch motor are both in tip-top shape, you can have just as much control with a clutch motor.  It's much like slipping the clutch in a car with a manual transmission.  Those of you young enough to have never driven anything but an automatic might not be familiar with that concept but I grew up in the days before automatic transmissions became commonplace and slipped my share of clutches.
    When/if my clutch motors crap out, it won't be a cut and dry decision to replace with a servomotor, I might or I might replace with another clutch motor. Price will undoubtedly be the deciding factor.

Ed

Mojo

I LOVE my servo motor.

They will have to pry my dead fingers from my servo motor if they want to take it from me. :)

I personally think the salesman is full of S#!*.

Chris

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: Mojo on August 03, 2010, 05:18:57 am
I LOVE my servo motor.

They will have to pry my dead fingers from my servo motor if they want to take it from me. :)

I personally think the salesman is full of S#!*.

Chris

More or less.  I personally put any motor people want onto their machines, be it the Sew Green, Consew CSM550, or a Reliable 4000 Sewquiet, or a clutch motor.  Either the 'salesman' is behind the times, or for logistical reasons does not want to be bothered with switching motors.  In many cases, they are being drop shopped machines, and don't have much choice in the matter.

baileyuph

Someone new, is an easy sell for a servo, but anyone who is thoroughly experienced will be quick to say it isn't a necessity.

I can get a stitch at a time, work my machines everyday, and never sit an moan over not having the servo.  It simply isn't needed for someone with experience.  

So, if you need it, buy it.  I don't even want one for free!

Doyle

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: DB on August 03, 2010, 06:14:44 am
Someone new, is an easy sell for a servo, but anyone who is thoroughly experienced will be quick to say it isn't a necessity.

I can get a stitch at a time, work my machines everyday, and never sit an moan over not having the servo.  It simply isn't needed for someone with experience.  

So, if you need it, buy it.  I don't even want one for free!

Doyle

Have you ever sewn with a quailty servo motor?  Just wondering?   :-X

Saddleman

Quote from: DB on August 03, 2010, 06:14:44 am
 It simply isn't needed for someone with experience.  

Sure and we don't need cell phones, laptop computers, the internet....the list goes on and on, but if they are here to use why not use them????

bobbin

There was an earlier thread about slowing down clutch motor machines and I suggested changeing out the pulley size, adjusting the treadle, the "putting in the miles" that allow you to gain experience.  With time and practice you can move your clutch motor machine one stitch at a time with the treadle. 

That said, I have two Jukis, both with Servo motors and I love them.  For me, it's not so much about speed control; rather, it's about how quiet they are... no steady hum in the background, no "barking" clutches, just the sound of the machine doing what it's supposed to do.  And I love that they're so energy efficient; that really appeals to me.   I have 4 other industrial machines, 2 of which are really too old to be of much more than sentimental or curiosity value, though one is the best machine I've used for really lightweight fabrics.  The other two (a 5 thread overlock and a blindstitch) I will definitely convert to Servos as funds become available. 

I believe they are the wave of the future, esp. in light of energy efficiency.  I like Saddleman's analogy.  I work for someone who shows little professional curiosity and the shop reflects it... .  Not every innovation is a good fit for every person or every business, but to dismiss new things out of hand for lack of knowledge doesn't make much sense to me, either. 

fragged8

hiya

Russ at northcoast training center has about 10 machines in his place with Dc motors and most of them are for trainees
to bang away on so they get a lot of use, he still swears by them so they can't be bad.

added to this the silence is fantastic, like my Efka drive they only make a noise when they are sewing
and are not consuming electrickery when resting, unlike a clutch motor that is chomping through your electric
bill all the time they are switched on.

I would be very surprised if a DC motor didn't save you $200 a year in electricity alone ?? care to answer that Gregg ?

Rich

sofadoc

August 03, 2010, 04:13:24 pm #11 Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:30:03 pm by sofadoc
My main reasons for liking the servo- motor over the clutch motor are the quietness,energy efficiency, and lack of noise/vibration. I could sew slowly on my clutch motor when I wanted to, so it has NOTHING to do with lack of experience. But what I like is being able to govern the maximum speed on tedious jobs.
My guess is that the salesman I talked to was either speaking from a bad experience with the early models, or as Gregg said, just trying to sell what took the least amount of effort.
I know that clutch motors typically last more than 20 years. So, if my servo crapped out in 5 years, most people would consider it a bad investment. Not me, even if it only lasted 5 years, I would STILL buy another servo.

penguin

I have had one servo for 3 years & bought another last year for one of my other machines-my ears buzz all by themselves so I love the quiet motor!  I too would buy another if one failed in 5 years-I tried to sell my clutch motor but no one wanted it-so I guess I'll hang on to it for a spare.

sofadoc

Quote from: penguin on August 04, 2010, 05:31:42 am
I tried to sell my clutch motor but no one wanted it-so I guess I'll hang on to it for a spare.
Same here. I tried to get $50 for my clutch motor on Craigslist. No takers. Think I'll rig it to my chair, and make some sort of back scratcher out of it. :D

regalman190

The servo motor on my Highlead is great. Thanks Greg!

Regal Canvas