Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:47:31 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Did someone get a new HIGHLEAD?

Started by RocketmanMH1, August 01, 2012, 04:26:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lc

Not quite the Arctic ha ha but yes it gets cold only 4 hrs north of Toronto   

...we get pretty warm muggy days too and one trick is to wet a towel in cold water to put around your neck and run cold water over your wrists for a bit..it seems to help a bit. better yet keep an ice bucket near by although customers will think we're losing it bobbing for ice cubes ..LOL
Working when its hot makes for a long and aggravating day when your sweating over your work and I'm pretty up beat but it can sure wear you down when its hot.

gscmarine

I have had my GC0618-1SC for 7 years and love it.Sewn evrything from light covers to heavy gauge enclosures.Gonna get a zig zag next to replace my old singer.

gene

Hey lc,

Algonquin Provincial Park is one of my favorite places. I'm tentatively planning a canoe trip this October. I've gotten into going in early May or early October - no people and no bugs. I did have snow for 5 days the last time I went in October, though.

Wilderness Outfitters on the West side of the park is who I usually rent my canoe from.

With all the immigration, Toronto may one day expand to be on the edge of the park?!?

gene

PS: I'm here in SW OH10.

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

fragged8

hiya

If only you could ship to the Uk cheaply i'd buy a long arm from you Gregg, they are about £5k here or $7 to £8K

Rich

lc

Gene Algoquin park is the best get away ever !!

Nothing but peace and solitude. you sure come a ways to get it, but it's certainly tranquil and it is a massively huge land of wilderness. Good place for you upholserers to go to get away from everything.

June did you try your new baby yet ??

Mojo

If she doesn't get that machine set up and use it soon I am going to drive over there and do it myself. :)

Chris

JuneC

Quote from: Mojo on August 14, 2012, 06:46:46 am
If she doesn't get that machine set up and use it soon I am going to drive over there and do it myself. :)

Chris

C'mon down!  I've got a sunbed that needs to be constructed - board cut and routed/foam cut/hardware attached/covers sewn.  Love the custom stuff where invention is required.  I'll get to it in a day or so.  I brought it to my home sewing room since my un-AC'd shop is rusting out my tools at an alarming rate.  I'm going to be doing less sewing at the shop and more at home in this heat/humidity. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

baileyuph

speaking of rust, i noticed a pair of channel locks  (cheap imported) were surface rusting, I had left them in the bed of pickup.  It can happen here in the summer also.

Haven't noticed it to be a problem, fingers crossed, in the shop.  If I catch it early, steel wool will take it off, but sometimes we just get busy and don't have time to primp.  Gotta make a living, we all know.

I have never seen it so dry and hot here.  I used to live in the South, maybe 500 miles from here and tools rusting was an issue, unless you were a mechanic.   ;)  That is one advantage of being a grease monkey.  Most of the time our work is free of grease/oil, which is fine with me.

Doyle

sofadoc

I don't know how MANY, MANY stitchers do it. But I could NEVER work in a shop with no A/C.
I wouldn't even want to attempt it. I really admire (feel sorry for) you boat enclosure guys. I don't mind the occasional outdoor job, but if I'm indoors, my electric meter is turning like a fan. I like to be able to hang meat in my shop. In the winter, there are only a few days in Texas where I really have to fire up a heater. Most of the time, all I need is a light jacket while I work.
June, keep that Highlead at the house ;D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

My current shop is located on the back of the house so it gets AC from the house itself. I just leave the door open and it stays cool and dry.

No way could I handle sewing out in the heat anymore. Been there and done that.

June, it all depends on whats for dinner if I come down there. :)

Chris

JuneC

Quote from: Mojo on August 16, 2012, 07:25:08 am
June, it all depends on whats for dinner if I come down there. :)

Chris

"Bugs"... aka Florida Spiny Lobster.  Turns out the small marina where my shop is located is also home to 2 local lobster fishing boats.  Fresh lobster (and I'm talking still crawling  :o) every afternoon around 4 p.m.   ;D Wholesale pricing - gotta love it.  Surf and turf tomorrow night for dinner. 

Got the sewing room cleaned up last night.  It's been a while since I went through all my old scraps.   Funny how your perspective changes over the years.  When I got started, I saved almost every scrap over 6 x 6.  Finally realized they'll never be used (for the most part), so out they went.  Soon to be productive space  8) ... air conditioned.... maybe 30 feet from the pool  :-\

June

W. C. Fields

Mike

I still havnt tried Florida "lobsta".
Sith no claws weres the meat? At least ya got tails.
Dunn you mention rust I never thought about it but my old singer had bare metal where the  lack pait has worn over the years on the through and post that withrust if not seeing for a day or two   I never noticed it so much in new England. Must be the humidity here ugh 
Even with ac it's off when I'm not sewing

fragged8

hey Mike

I had a guy come into my shop today with an accent , hehe  turns out his winter
home is only about 60 miles south of you.

He was telling me how good the fishing is where you are,

As for lobster, i hate to eat food that is still looking at me :-)

Rich

JuneC

Quote from: fragged8 on August 17, 2012, 02:49:47 pm
I had a guy come into my shop today with an accent
Rich

LOL, WE don't have accents, you Brits do  :-X

Oh, and Florida lobst'a don't have claws - you eat the tail only, so there's no need to serve a whole critter.  Better than Maine lobster IMHO. 

And Mike, I have to wipe down my machine at the shop almost every morning due to surface rust where the paint has worn off.   Don't like it a bit.  And my hole puncher and pliers get all rusty just sitting in the case.  Time to add AC or I'm going to give up the shop and move back home, in spite of the cramped space.

Still trying to get the machine all set up and adjusted.  On deck for tomorrow morning is to get the table height adjusted.  I tried it today with a GIANT ratchet and socket, but couldn't get the bolts to budge.  I need my Wheaties and try again.  It's set about 2 inches too high for me right now, so bolts have to come out and drop to lower holes in the table legs.  Stay tuned  :D

June

W. C. Fields

sofadoc

Quote from: JuneC on August 17, 2012, 07:18:38 pm
It's set about 2 inches too high for me right now, so bolts have to come out and drop to lower holes in the table legs.
It always seemed like it was the other way around for me. Seems like every machine that ever came into my possession I had to stick a 2 X 4 under each side (too lazy to whup out the big wrench).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban