Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 05:56:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Too bad we've been left in the dust

Started by Rich, December 24, 2011, 07:29:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

byhammerandhand

I've used these before with good results.   I trust the factory edge of a piece of plywood more than a 1x4 for being straight though.  In a pinch, I've just used the plywood, sometimes from the second sheet of plywood.

One caveat is to avoid sawdust pile-up at the edge of your fence piece.  If your saw has a fairly square corner on its base plate, you should rabbet or chamfer the bottom edge of the fence.

Quote from: fingers on January 02, 2012, 02:07:48 am
Speaking of jigs....I'll get a run of cornice boards every so often but never mastered cutting a straight line w/ a circular saw. Clamping rip guides are available but the cheapest I was able to find was $150. Hard for me to justify the cost for limited use. After a little web research I came up with a sensible DIY alternative: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497. A couple bucks for materials, a four pack of quick clamps for under $20 and even splurged on a new 40tpi saw blade. Not a miracle worker but it will make my life a bit easier. The hardest thing to do was finding a place to hang it.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

fingers

As a matter of fact I ripped off the factory edge of my plywood instead of the 1x4. I put a couple coats of poly on and next week I'll give em a coat or two of paste wax.
Thanks for the heads up on the saw dust.

fingers

I'm not sure if this is the thread I was looking for but it's in the ballpark. The topic of lean thinking was introduced by Hammer and I believe Kody went off to the library. Not to be left behind I did the same. Although geared towards large corporation the book can be an eye opener. In this same spirit I went pokin' around amazon and ran across the 'Shop floor' series. Anyone have any experience with the series? I've been making small changes in my work areas lately and am tickled with the improvements. Books like this can be a real catalyst for positive change.
We may not have state of the art technology in our small shops but the above philosophy has potential to be revolutionary on a certain level.
Thanks Hammer and especially Paul, aka Minuph

kodydog

Quote from: byhammerandhand on December 26, 2011, 01:44:00 pm
While I was out driving today, I remembered a book I read a couple of years ago.
http://www.amazon.com/Checklist-Manifesto-How-Things-Right/dp/0312430000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324935346&sr=8-1

Just finished this book on tape. Although the author refers mostly to operating rooms, pilots and the construction business I could see how his methods could be used in any business. His main premise (besides saving lives) was less mistakes more production. One checklist I use daily is a cutting diagram that I check off as I go along. Takes a few minutes to draw it up but saves many headaches in the long run. The author told some good stories. The last one being the US airways jetliner that was ditched in the Hudson river 3 years ago. I finished the 5 CD's in one day.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

The thread started off on the subject of us smaller shops being left behind in terms of technology.

I believe Rich was giving the situation correctly and in discussion here several reasons for that have been expressed. 

Gene, stated that the technology is there but if a small shop can't run the supporting volume for the technology, yes there is a disadvantage. 

Some have pointed out the attachments available, but in review these are older technology that isn't new, these attachments were available many years ago.  I, speaking for myself, would buy more or use my existing attachments more I was more specialized and ran a bigger volmume on the specific. 

On the manufacturers side of the business, there are more efficient methods implement for the reasons of volume I suggested above.  But, another factor in efficiency is how less detailed newer furniture has been made over the years.  As I , most have observed how less detailed furniture new furniture is today.  I see entire sofa and love seat sets with not a piece of cording incorporated.

Therefore, yes in a sense shops have been left behind for several reasons as being discussged.  But, technology is there that would improve efficiency but it can only be brough into a production environment that has the supporting volume. 

Smaller shops that customarily incorporate much more detail in their work, for example cording, buttons, channels, and tufting are a much more disparity with manufacturers because they aren't doing as much as that.  They aren't typing coils, very little hand built padding foundations.  To conclude if all that leaves us in the dust, yes we are certainly in terms of competing with the simpler furniture designs that factories produce with a lot less detail.

This is the issue that I interpreted Rich's thread to be more pointed at.

Good thread, appreaciating all the input.

Doyle

fingers

Kody, I was confused about the titles but in the end it did get me down to the library. You might want to check out 'Lean Thinking', it's on cd just not available at my public co-op.
My apologies if I misdirected the thread.
      Bern