Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 04:54:22 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Too bad we've been left in the dust

Started by Rich, December 24, 2011, 07:29:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sofadoc

Quote from: Rich on December 31, 2011, 12:08:30 pm
Maybe more time efficient tools would've made the difference? I don't know, but when so many people don't even consider reupholstery anymore, that can't be a good thing in my opinion.
You can say that about a lot of things. It's definately a "throw away" world.
In High school, I had my sights set on being a TV repairman. Took vocational classes, got a part-time job at a TV store. People bragged about their favorite brand of TV. They prided themselves on choosing one that lasted 15 years or more. If my 55" boob tube went kaput right now, I wouldn't even consider calling a repairman. I'm out the door to Best Buy in a New York minute.
People used to consider putting a new motor in a 10 year old car to be a viable option. If I needed new seat covers on my 2005 Pathfinder, I'm tradin' that sucker off so fast, your head'll spin.
Remember when most towns had a Fix-it shop that worked on toasters and the like? My wife buys a new vacuum cleaner every time the old one gets dirt in it. You got a choice, You can buy a $1,000 vacuum cleaner that will last 10 years. Or you can buy a $100 one every year.
For us shop owners, what's our worst enemy? Is it technology? Or is it sweat shops paying slave wages that we can't compete with?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Rich

So why are we all still in the reupholstery business? Because we love it so much we'd do it even if we had to give it away? There ARE no more TV repairmen, my Dad got out of that business in the mid 60's and became a vocational school teacher. I've seen 100 year old furniture that was still worth reupholstering. I can't say that for TV,s or toasters, but I have two Chevelle's, one with an engine I had rebuilt, the other will get a big block when I have the bucks.
Some things are worth restoring, but it has to be the right thing and it has to owned by the right person. My point is that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing as efficiently as possible, but I don't think the tools available to us have kept pace with technology in general.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

fingers

A couple years back I found a company in China demonstrating two separate setups/machinery used in upholstery manufacturing. One was a station designed to attach elastic webbing to sofa decks. A frame rolled down a conveyor, a foot pedal fed the webbing and tightened it front to back and it was done in around 60 secs or less.
The other device covered tight seats. Imagine a drill press of sorts...Fabric, foam and a plywood seat deck were put down on a bed and a hydraulic ram squished it all together while a operator ran an automatic stapler along the sides only. About 25 secs later in was thrown into a large pile for the guy that did the corners only.
It simply isn't possible to compete with that. The second example does have some potential in a small shop and I believe it could be a DIY project with some thought. Can't see it working on a stripe.
While on the topic of dining seats, have you noticed how the shape of the corners has changed ever so slightly over the yrs? And why do some plywood decks take about a 3/16'' dip on the sides approx. 1 1/2'' from the front corner? It's not following any shape that coincides with the chair frame itself....
In the last few years I've been staplin' a small, triangular pc of carpet pad at the corners of my tight seats. It's an innovation that doesn't save time necessarily but it does make for a superior looking corner (especially when old foam is reused) that's not all smashed to a sharp point like the vast majority of manufactured dining seats. Many which have direct contact between the plywood deck and the fabric. The foam never made it's way over the edge, no buffer what so ever. Sorry, just a rant.
There have been several good suggestions mentioned in this thread. It's got my head working in the right direction.

JuneC

Shoot y'all!  Ain't necessary to go to China.  Lots of really GOOD innovation right here.  Check out the array of stuff on these sites. 

http://www.glennsewing.com/customization/

http://www.atlatt.com/

http://www.clintonind.com/

Amazing innovative machines and attachments!   :o

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Rich

Thanks June, all geared to the manufacturer, of course.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

January 01, 2012, 10:04:55 am #20 Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:16:25 am by gene
The initial topic was that technology has left us reupholsterers in the dust.

Technology is not in itself about quality or workmanship. It's about being competitive in business. (There are other reasons for having new technologies but we're talking about business here.)

Lowering quality is also about being competitive. And lowering quality may or may not involve technology.

My primary point is that I don't think that reupholstery has been left in the dust. We have gotten as much technology as we can absorb to be efficient as possible.

If a machine is made that will cut the amount of time to remove old fabric in half, but that machine costs $1,000,000.00 because it is made on a per order basis because there is not enough demand to make these machines on a volume basis, then any upholsterer who buys this machine will indeed be able to reupholster furniture in a lot less time, but he/she will not be able to make more money overall. Therefore, technology, in this example, is not efficient for our work.

I read somewhere that you should never buy anything for your business unless you know exactly how it will help you make more money. The same would be true for folks who make new technologies. They are not going to make a new widget for reupholsterers when there just aren't that many around to buy it.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

Actually, the word I initially used was methods. But the video showed workers using tools designed to produce a good result with less effort and time invested. That's what I'd like to see, but I think that not only are there fewer potential buyers for these tools compared to other trades, but I personally have found a resistance among upholsterers in general to spend the money needed to purchase tools they haven't used in the past. I think it was bobbins boss who didn't even want to replace his old, worn out tools. So, I really can't blame tool makers for not wanting to do the R&D, marketing etc. that would be involved to introduce a product that will sit in their warehouses unsold. And that is sad.
Maybe some examples would be helpful to make my point. When I glue vinyl or fabric to a board, it has to be notched at the corners to lie flat. Why should I spend the time making each side of a V cut with shears when a tool could be developed that would either make the complete V with one cut or better still, make a series of them with one action? Four corners, four squeezes of a handle and your done! The Hoover tool was a big improvement for installing Dot fasteners over the old hammer and die method, but it still takes much more time than a fully automatic machine like Stimpson produces. However, these machines are beyond the reach of most small shop's pocketbooks, so why not a manually operated version that would speed up the process by feeding the snaps as needed? Something that would cost less than the automatic machine, but still be faster? I know you can buy a decorative nail  gun like the manufacturers use for a pretty penny, but what about an attachment for a small air hammer that would line them up and set in much less time than holding each one and hitting it with a hammer?

QuoteMy primary point is that I don't think that reupholstery has been left in the dust. We have gotten as much technology as we can absorb to be efficient as possible.

Do you really think there's no room for improvement?
Rich

bobbin

Saying upholstery has not been "left in the dust" is hardly the same thing as saying there is no room for improvement Rich. 

sofadoc

I don't think this is anything new. The small "one man" shops have always lagged behind, simply because they can't justify the cost of more efficient but more expensive machinery.
Back in the 60's, it took my Grandmother several years to save up for an electric stapler (as opposed to spitting tacks). It wasn't until the 80's that she finally sprung for an air rig.
In the other thread, I posted a pic of a Hartco pneumatic clincher that I bought off E-Bay for $75. It has made no-sag spring repair infinately easier.
But if I'd had to pay a new price for one ($800), I'd still be without one.
Much of the technology is geared toward high volume production, which is something that the average small "one-at-a-time" shop doesn't need.

This reminds me of a History Channel episode about earth moving machinery the Greeks and Romans pioneered over 1000 years ago. But the
technology disappeared for nearly 500 years because they had something more efficient....slave labor.

bobbin

January 01, 2012, 03:48:07 pm #24 Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:51:31 am by bobbin
I was just sniffing around Carr's Corner (a member who's forgotten her password) and saw the Youtube video Keith posted about "improvement walks".  Very interesting (although that guy could drive me up a wall in about a week!), and while I'm by no means that intense about it, it IS something I do routinely.  And I don't think my shop has been "left in the dust" by a long shot!    

I have an impressive arsenal of machinery that's been acquired over many years and always in response to a clear need.  Same thing with presser feet and attachments.  Lately, I've been adding hand tools that are specific to certain aspects of my work.  If I have any "beef" with tools it's with tools that require squeezing and muscle power... I find that my hands are just a little to small to be able to span the open handles of some squeeze tools and it's hard for me to use them.  If they were sized for women's hands it would be a lot easier for me.  Maybe they're available, but I've not seen them.  

I've made the move to pneumatics.  My brother helped me get the PVC piping installed from the compressor to the shop last week.  No more flourescent orange hose winding its way to the second floor!  Next step is to cut that hose into more manageable lengths with the male and female fittings.

So, I think small shops are frequently clever and innovative but in smaller ways, not necessarily in terms of automation.  

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on January 01, 2012, 03:48:07 pm
If I have any "beef" with tools it's with tools that require squeezing and muscle power... I find that my hands are just a little to small to be able to span the open handles of some squeeze tools and it's hard for me to use them.  If they were sized for women's hands it would be a lot easier for me. 
I've often wondered how smaller women do some of this work.  There are certain aspects that I couldn't do without putting my "sufficient" weight behind it.

I've never worried much about having sharp button cutters. Because when I put 225 lbs. on top of the press handle, even the dullest cutter goes through the fabric like "buttah".

My favorite tool for removing fabric is a pair of modified tile nippers. But it would be useless if I didn't have a lot of gripping strength in my hands. As I get older, I'll probably gravitate more to the air chisel, or the Stripbit tool.

BTW I complained several months ago about "numbthumb" from years of cutting with scissors. Since I acquired the electric rotary cutter, the numbness has disappeared gradually, but completely.

Maybe I'm straying too far off topic here. Do we need a new topic about tools that simply give us more of a mechanical advantage?

JuneC

Quote from: Rich on December 31, 2011, 06:44:48 pm
Thanks June, all geared to the manufacturer, of course.
Rich

True, but there's such a variety of time-saving devices.  Check out this site for a large array of binders and folders. 

http://www.jesseheap.com/index-folders-attachments.htm

I'm really tempted to get one of those that do the folded welt and cord so when I'm putting welt on a plate, all I have to do is sit there and guide it, not manually position all the parts and do 6" runs then stop/reposition.

http://www.jesseheap.com/Pictures/attachments/folder-1099.htm

Quote from: Rich on January 01, 2012, 01:03:06 pm
Maybe some examples would be helpful to make my point. When I glue vinyl or fabric to a board, it has to be notched at the corners to lie flat. Why should I spend the time making each side of a V cut with shears when a tool could be developed that would either make the complete V with one cut or better still, make a series of them with one action?
Rich

Sounds like you need a pig ear notcher.  It'll do perfect "V" cuts every time with one squeeze.  Less than $10 all over the web.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

gene

January 01, 2012, 05:41:16 pm #27 Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:42:50 pm by gene
I was thinking of my pig ear cutters also, June.

Rich, technology is not always about improvement.

I do constantly look for improvements in my work processes because this is an area where I can help to increase my profit line.

Sometimes technology is indeed involved in improvements. I love QB. I love my strip bit. I love my vacuum dust cyclone.

Sometimes it's not. I'm left handed and I "force" myself to pull staples and cut fabric with my right hand. This is a great improvement in my ability to work longer because it does not tire my left hand out as much.

I use skin film and my shop vac to insert cushion inserts. I don't have a cushion packer because I can't justify the cost with the volume of cushions that I make. But this is an improvement over stuffing them in by hand.

If we were left in the dust regarding technology, it was only because there is not enough volume in reupholstery for folks to create new technologies like the ones in your video.

I don't think I am disagreeing with anything you've said, Rich. I think that the way I'm looking at it is that there wasn't really any opportunity for us to be left in the dust because there was never the opportunity for folks to make a lot of money from creating new technologies for the wild and wonderful world of reupholstery.

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

January 01, 2012, 07:02:12 pm #28 Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:05:50 pm by Rich
These are all good responses. Maybe it's  because we tend to be so resourceful that we aren't good prospects for the "new and improved".  I have made many jigs and hand tools to cope with the unavailability of a good tool I could purchase. But I find it's usually cheaper in the long run to buy rather than design and build a one-off prototype when something is available. The purchased item usually (but not always) works better too.

I do believe that the dwindling amount of upholstery shops hasn't helped the matter any. Since the trend toward throw away has favored the manufacturers, they probably have enjoyed an increase in machinery that speeds production. But, as many have mentioned here, they can afford it, we can't. So I still stand on what I said before, that it's sad that we don't have more labor saving tools available to us that don't cost more than could be justified with the increase in profits they'd provide. Tools that fill the gap between basic and high tech.

QuoteBTW I complained several months ago about "numbthumb" from years of cutting with scissors. Since I acquired the electric rotary cutter, the numbness has disappeared gradually, but completely.

Sofadoc, that's along the lines of what I'm saying. You've probably also discovered that cutting multiple layers of the same shape that you couldn't do with a pair of shears is now a breeze!

Oh, and June, yes it sounds like I do need a pig ear notcher!
Thanks,
Rich

fingers

Speaking of jigs....I'll get a run of cornice boards every so often but never mastered cutting a straight line w/ a circular saw. Clamping rip guides are available but the cheapest I was able to find was $150. Hard for me to justify the cost for limited use. After a little web research I came up with a sensible DIY alternative: http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497. A couple bucks for materials, a four pack of quick clamps for under $20 and even splurged on a new 40tpi saw blade. Not a miracle worker but it will make my life a bit easier. The hardest thing to do was finding a place to hang it.