Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 10:09:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

"All righty then." Jim Carrey

Started by gene, September 03, 2011, 03:08:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbin

The day I finally "got over it" and decided to go for it with my less than terrific French occured riding a bus.  I was seated next to a woman with a cat in carrying case.  I love cats and couldn't contain my curiousity.  I haltingly asked about the cat... who was 17 yrs. old and returning from a trip to the vet..  We talked about our cats for some time before she asked me if I was English.  "No", I replied, "I'm American".  "That can't be so!" she said in French, "you're far too polite to be an American."  It took my brain a bit of time to figure out what she's said and then I smiled at her and laughed.  She winked back at me. 

Wherever I go in this world I honestly believe that genuine warmth and a good sense of humor will open all doors!  Sofa., if you ever happen up my way I sure hope you'll let me know!  :)

scottymc

September 05, 2011, 05:23:15 pm #31 Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:43:16 pm by scottymc
I had a very different experience in France, I did find them a snooty catching the train, my wife was trying to communicate using her high school french while buying a ticket on the fast train out of Paris, but she was not getting anywhere, so she asked if he spoke English, yes he said as he rolled his eyes and did his best to make my wife feel small and reinforce a stereotype. Years later while spending a bit of time with a French man surfing in Indonesia, he pointed out that if he worked for the railways he was a public servant, he then asked what Australian public servant were like at public relations. Point taken, LOL
My specialty language on our travels was Spanish, I would just talk like an Italian speaking English ,add an "O" or an "IE" onto a descriptive word and gesture enthusiastically with my hands, I really wish I had the education to learn a second language, there were so many times in Mexico when we met some really nice people but could not communicate past the very basics.   

bobbin

Nope! the French were universally gracious and helpful  But , again, I'm that way in my own country and am cordial and generous wherever I go, so it's not surprising that my experiences have been  universally terrific.  :)

Life is a mirror!  You see that which you project.  Spin me around, put me on a plane, and I'll make friends wherever I debark.  I only wish I could afford to travel more than I'm able!

sofadoc

While bartering with a sidewalk artist in Paris, I summoned from my archives all the high school French I could remember. In retrospect, I think I may have called his mother a pipewrench, or something. ;D Our negotiations didn't go too well until I gave up, and reverted back to English.
It's funny how they can be speaking another language to someone else, turn and take ONE look at ME, and say "May I help you?"
It's like I have "American" stamped on my forehead.
When they come here, they'd better damn well speak English. ;)
When we go there, they'd better damn well speak English. ;)
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

September 05, 2011, 06:56:00 pm #34 Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:10:08 pm by Mike8560
I've got a vietnamme guy next to me   I was talking with a (American guy} across the way one day  he said he did t know what there saying  having a outdoor Party can get a bit loud somtimes Me  kinda annoys me not knowing what there saying.  It seems when kids show up they speak English.  There a grandma who o ly can say hi  

Mojo

I have been fortunate to have traveled the world. I have found that many of the people in other countries when engaged in small talk enjoy a good conversation. For the most part the people in Australia I consider to be very much like our Southern folk. Very friendly, hospitable and caring but they typically have to be engaged first in conversation. I completely enjoy every trip I make to Australia and love the people and their culture. I would have immigrated there if their laws were not so tough. Unlike the USA where anyone can walk in and live, Australia has some of the toughest immigration laws in the world.

I have traveled Europe extensively and found the Dutch to be the most friendly and hospitable group. These people will feed you, provide you a bed and do anything for you. They are a very warm group of people. They love company and love to chat it up which is why they always open their doors to others. My wife's parents are from Holland and my wife speaks fluent Dutch so I always had an interpretator by my side. :)

While in Germany I found they have a dislike for Americans in certain parts of the country. I had shop owners turn and walk away from me and refuse to help me. But my wife could walk up to them and speak to them in German and they would help her. :)  As soon as they heard my Yankee accent, they would wave their hands and with a terse look on their face walk away. Of course this was all during the Iraq war and we were not well thought of in Europe at the time.

My wife knows enough French to get by with and I found the French people very nice. But we traveled in the countryside and most French attitudes you will find only in Paris. We stopped at a large home improvement store ( French Home Depot ) and I was intrigued by their kitchen cabinetry. A sales person came over and spent half an hour with me explaining everything to me ( construction, wood, etc. ). He was awesome and alot of fun.

England, Scotland, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, Holland, Australia, New Zeeland, Mexico, I can honestly say I have never been treated badly by any of the locals. Germany is another matter. I love traveling because I love experiencing the different cultures. I always thought America was the Cat's meow and everything we did was right. But after my travels I have found that a few things we do is ass backwards. There are some awesome ideas out there in other countries that would work excellent here.

Chris

Mojo

Mike:

Some of the greatest people you will ever meet are Asians. Very polite, respectable and hard working.

I was stationed at MCRD while in marine Corps boot camp. While there Saigon fell. When I was transferred up to Camp Pendelton we were met by 50,000 Vietnamese refuges. These people were so grateful to be in our country that everytime I was out on the base they would come up to us and shake our hands, bow and say thank you Joe. I had one old man come up to me and bow numerous times and say thank you then handed me a $ 500 South Vietnamese bill. Obviously it was worth nothing, but it was the gift from this man that made it worth thousands to me. I still have that bill. :)

You will find that the Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and other Asian people are very honorable and respectable people. They are hard working and one of of our greatest immigrants to this country. They ask for nothing, never bitch and go about life never hurting or bothering others.

I have on my bucket list to travel Asia and do missionary work. Not from a religious standpoint but from a humanitarian standpoint.

Chris

needles eye

Re sign. I reckon the guy's sign is a bit out there, kinda "my way or the highway" genre.
He's probably a lawyer. A good lawyer is a bad neighbour.
In any event, his gun's ensure that he is  garde mobile (Fr.), a guard liable to general service.
Moreover, noblesse oblige(Fr.), rank imposes obligations.
So, sue him for undue care.

Yeah, in oz we have heaps of Asians. They are ok. Heaps more want to come on humanitarian laws as refugees or they arrive illegally in boats. We have the highest density of Islamic peoples in the world being on our doorstep, that is, in Indonesia. There's more Indonesian millionares then Australians. Muslims are ok to me. Extremist's aren't. The extremists are in all cultures and religions. Just look at Ireland, say.
The Australian National University predicts that within fifty years the population of this country will be approx 90 - 95 per Asian or Eurasian. My old man used to work in intelligence and always reckoned that that mankind will all end up with a yellow tinge. Hey we all bleed the same colour. The government here has sold off about 80% + of our minerals to offshore investors. The immigrants better hurry up before there is nothing left but broken sewing machines! On the news recently they say there are over thirty thousand immigrants working for four dollars an hour in Queensland (that's east coast oz) in sewing sweat shops in people's home garages..

scottymc

Chris, of course we aren't going to let you into into our fair country easily, we don't need anymore upholsterer's in the country. Hey Needles don't you worry about those poor Asians in the sweat shops, they are just working there butt off to put the 1 or 2 kids that they have through school to become a doctor or an engineer, there not feeling sorry for themselves just like the Europeans before them. Australia being surrounded by sea and with tough immigration we only get the most desperate of refugees coming by boat (criminals would not risk there life) and 99% are legitimate. I am glad we don't have borders with other country's like you guy's do but happy to be more a part of Australasia.