Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 09:13:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

This one takes the cake. Decorator, schmecorator.

Started by cajunpedaler, February 10, 2015, 01:06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunpedaler

I also think I'm going to contact, in person, the other two local upholsterers.  I want to equalize our prices.  In fact, I might try to make sure that my prices are a bit higher than theirs...I also want to build some sort of solidarity among us upholsterers..that will be a difficult feat.  It's been my experience that small town upholsterers tend to be very skittish about customers, getting customers, keeping customers, always afraid the competition is going to take their customer.  I love it when someone goes somewhere else and THEN comes back...they are so grateful for good honest work.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

byhammerandhand

To snitch ideas from one place is plagiarism; to snitch from one place and acknowledge it is citing; to snitch from many places is research.

Let us know how this interaction turns out.

Quote from: cajunpedaler on February 11, 2015, 07:58:37 am
I snitched the term "mutual respect" from one of the responders...
Just to give editorial and creative credit where it's due.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

cajunpedaler

I sent her my reply.  Usually she is so all over her phone, texting that you are getting a message while you are still reading the current message that she's sent.  I know she has received it.  I'm sure she is mulling it over.  This will be interesting. 
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success. If at first you fail, redefine failure.

sofadoc

Quote from: cajunpedaler on February 11, 2015, 08:02:19 am
I also think I'm going to contact, in person, the other two local upholsterers.  I want to equalize our prices.
I would tread lightly there. Someone might accuse you guys of collusion. And it only takes ONE of the shops to renege on your agreement, and make the other two look bad.

Back in the 80's, my competitor in town approached me about "getting our prices in line with each other". It only took one anonymous phone call to find out that he had no intention of honoring those prices. He just wanted ME to raise my prices so he could under-cut me.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Virgs Sew n Sew

I was wondering if that was wise myself.  I know that early on I contacted one of the other upholsterer's in Grand Island just to ask a question as far as locating a certain fabric.  That dude jumped down my throat so bad I wasn't sure if I was ever going to be able to swallow again.  There is no friendly circle of upholsterer's here.  From where I sit, there is plenty of upholstery work to go around but everyone else seems to be very afraid of losing even one customer or job.  'course I've also had complaints about those same people from customers who have switched and stayed with me.

Virginia

cajunpedaler

I re-thought the notion of contacting the other upholsterers in the area. I imagined all the ways that good intentioned visit could backfire. So, for now, I am going to just stay the course. I still haven't heard from the prima donna decorator. If she goes away and never comes back, it's her loss.
Thanks all.

kodydog

It would be nice to have a list or manual of average national prices for different pieces of furniture. Kinda like the automotive repair industry has. And what your attempting to do is a noble endeavor. But like Virginia points out this could be considered price fixing.

But even if it wasn't I think your going to find most upholstery shop owners hold their prices very tightly to their chest. It takes years to come up with a price list that is constantly being revised. Most shops don't have a set price list. They'll charge one price to one customer and another price to another customer depending on looks. One customer drives up in a Mercedes and husband is a doctor is going to get charged different from someone who drives up in a VW. I'm not saying I do this but some shops do.

One thing I will do is charge on perceived value. Take your fitness job for instance. They want you to do it as quick as possible. They don't want their machine down any longer than necessary. And for this rush job you charge a little extra. I'm the same way with repairs. People will pay more per hour compared to a full recover, a lot more.

What you'll find is shops that have been in business longer charge more. Shops that have a brick and mortar on a busy highway charge more. And shops, like yours,  that do a higher quality work charge more.

I guess what I'm getting at is you have to figure what you need to make to be happy and make that your goal. You can't worry about what someone else charges or what kind of work they do.

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

kodydog

We worked for a designer who, after we gave an estimate, we did the work, then she told us we charge too much and asked us to lower our price. Unbelievable.

Designers come and go, don't feel bad when you lose one. And don't count this one out yet. Shes probably surprised you stood up to her. There not used to not getting their own way.

byhammerandhand

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

For every decorator/designer out there..........somewhere there is an upholsterer who USED to work for them. But for whatever reason, they don't anymore.

Decorators have only 2 ways to maximize profits. Charge the client more, or pay the upholsterer less. For some reason, many decorators think there is an inexhaustible supply of upholsterers available. Good luck with all that.

cajunpedaler

It is fully 24 hrs later in this saga, and this decorator's norm has been to be all over the place in the beginning of a customer project.  I sent her my reply and I'm sure it didn't sit well with her...so I'm assuming I can just write this beeyatch off....Hold on, folks, I'm doing my happy dance...!!

Thank you one and all for the suggestions, input, support...now I think I will go in my shop and staple something to smithereens...!!

Perry

sofadoc

February 12, 2015, 09:31:07 am #26 Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:50:17 am by sofadoc
Quote from: cajunpedaler on February 12, 2015, 07:44:43 am
I sent her my reply and I'm sure it didn't sit well with her...so I'm assuming I can just write this beeyatch off
I'm sure that as we speak, she is telling someone that she had to fire her upholsterer because they didn't meet her high standards.

Any time that a decorator has told me that they fired their last upholsterer, you can rest assured that it was probably the other way around.

Oh yeah.........and don't be surprised if she shows up at your door a year or two from now, acting like nothing ever happened. Like a bad penny, they always come back.

bobbin

I run a business.  I did my homework and I have a business plan.  I know what I have to earn to "keep this vessel afloat".  My price is my price.  No jack-assing around.

I work with designers and every time I "establish" a working relationship with them I'm asked about "what kind of deal I can work with them".  See my first paragraph.  I know what I need to make to keep things moving forward for me on a personal level... .  NO jack-assing around.

My price is my price.  Built into "my price" are my many years of accumulated skill, my attention to detail,my ability to do what's asked of me in a timely and convenient manner, and my  connections to professional suppliers.  End of story!

byhammerandhand

Quote from: bobbin on February 16, 2015, 01:58:53 pm
I run a business.  I did my homework and I have a business plan.  I know what I have to earn to "keep this vessel afloat".  My price is my price.  No jack-assing around.

I work with designers and every time I "establish" a working relationship with them I'm asked about "what kind of deal I can work with them".  See my first paragraph.  I know what I need to make to keep things moving forward for me on a personal level... .  NO jack-assing around.

My price is my price.  Built into "my price" are my many years of accumulated skill, my attention to detail,my ability to do what's asked of me in a timely and convenient manner, and my  connections to professional suppliers.  End of story!

Keith

kodydog

Yepers Bobbin. People think all you have to do is pick up a staple gun and start stapling away and bingo your an upholsterer. Some people can't believe it takes years to learn. I get calls every week form people who can't believe that with 30 years experience I don't do cars. They seriously cannot believe there is a difference.

Rose received a call one day from a guy who needed a recliner recovered. She told him they cost more than a regular chair because they take longer to do. He told her, no they don't. Wait, what? She asked him if he has ever recovered one. Of course the answer was no.