Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 10:53:16 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The Queen Anne 8: Tomorrow, it begins.

Started by JaneNYC, February 18, 2015, 09:28:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JaneNYC

February 18, 2015, 09:28:47 am Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:29:41 am by JaneNYC
So nice to have a factory or workshop: pretty much everything you want is right there.  Even if you need some odd European reverse screw that they stopped making in the mid 1800's -- if you empty out enough jelly jars, you know you'll find it because you remember seeing it about 4 years ago when you were looking for something else.

I'm pretty methodical and on my list was that the first thing I'd buy is the electric knife: I know there's one at a thrift store down in Jersey where my father's house is and I'm going down there tomorrow.  If it's gone, I'll just buy a new one.  Then get the foam, then get the fabric, then get the staple gun, staples, and nonwoven weed guard for the bottom dust cover.

I got one chair taken apart.  I'll finish that one which will really kick up my enthusiasm: you'll know when I've done it because you'll all be able to hear my squeal of delight from wherever you are.    Then, I'll try to take apart a chair a night after work.

Okay, so how many jelly jars full of odd bits of hardware do YOU have RIGHT NOW?

j.

MinUph

I stopped with the "jelly jars" several years ago. They just keep growing and never used any of it. I find it easier and more efficient to stock what is needed and not rely on old stuff in a container with a 1000 other parts.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

I have file cabinets with coffee cans of hardware filled to the top.
Jane there is Gramercy supply in the Bronx - 149th st.  No web site but two brothers who have been in the upholstery supply business over 50 years and chances are they may have something out of the ordinary when you're going crazy,
also open 1/2 day on Saturdays.

SA

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on February 18, 2015, 02:57:22 pm
I stopped with the "jelly jars" several years ago. They just keep growing and never used any of it. I find it easier and more efficient to stock what is needed and not rely on old stuff in a container with a 1000 other parts.
Me too.
Every shop that I have ever visited around here had jars of some kind collecting dust. Some had hundreds of them.

One guy had Mason jars with the lids nailed to the bottom side of an eye-level shelf above his workbench. There were parts in some of those jars that I couldn't even identify. Some of the jars contained only 1 item. His workbench spanned 2 long walls, so there must have been over 500 jars. When he passed, all those jars wound up in the dumpster.

My belief is "Time is money.........AND space is time...........hence space is money". If something occupies space, it's consuming time. And if it's consuming time, it's costing you money. 
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban