Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 02:09:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What Is the Best Way to Clean Vinyl?

Started by jojo, January 16, 2013, 06:14:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jojo

Hey guys,
How do you clean regular dirt that gets imbedded in vinyl? So far the only thing I've tried is Clorox wipes, and nothing happened. The item in question is a chiropractic table that's been in a storage unit for a while. Looks like just dirt, no stains.
Thanks

cthomps

In the horse world, we use "Fantastic" on all of our bio ie. vinyl harnesses, headstalls and lines.  They get really dirty and it seems to do a great job.  It is getting hard to find however. 
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

MinUph

I use either 409 or marine grade spray nine. The later is the best I've found. A soft scrub brush will help to get it out of the grain. You can also use mineral spirits.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JuneC

I agree with Paul's suggestion for mineral spirits.  Denatured alcohol is also good for removing the "tackiness" that happens as vinyl ages.  Best for plain old dirt, especially greasy mechanics' paws all over white boat seats, is Oil Eater degreaser and a soft scrub brush. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

jojo

Thank you guys! I wasn't sure if fantastik/409 was safe to use.

scott_san_diego

How about some warm soapy water and a brush.  That should do the trick. 

jojo

I ended up using Fantastik and a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Worked great!

Rich

Malco leather and plastic cleaner. I've used it for 40 years.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike

I kep a spry bottle of Clorox cleaner in the kitchen when my boat seats get dirty it works well

Darren Henry

McGuire's also make an awesome rubber and vinyl cleaner/conditioner.I believe it is #80 ? or #40?. It cleans in league with windex (which I have had pretty decent succes with); it is the only conditioner that I have seen restore suppleness and depth of colour and sheen to vinyl.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

DBR1957

The absolute best I have seen is 3M Sharpshooter. I've seen it clean deep grained vinyl in a
mid 70's boat that had been stored for a while. However, you must go over it with a protectant
after cleaning. I recommend 303 Protectant. Spray on 3M Sharpshooter, let it set for 30 seconds
agitate with a soft brush and wipe off. No-rinse formula.

Fantastic and 409 can cause problems if it is not rinsed properly after cleaning. I recovered some
cushions for a customer after a detailer cleaned his white cushions with Fantistic. After cleaning a
rope, plastic bag and screen enclosure panel were laid on the cushions. A day in the sun and there
was purple staining on those cushions. The purple stain was in the pattern of the rope braid, the
screen mesh and the folds of the bag.

Always use the least potent cleaner first. I won't recommend any bleach. It might get the stain off the
vinyl but people forget it can deteriorate the thread which can't get thoroughly rinsed. Don't know how
many times customers have brought covers and cushions in to be restitched after cleaning with bleach.
If you want to use something that has a bleaching effect, use Mighty Brite.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C10918%7C309314%7C311478&id=1109264

http://www.shop3m.com/70071285335.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-Sharpshooter-Cleaner

Mike

January 19, 2013, 08:28:22 pm #11 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:36:30 pm by MikeM8560
Quote from: DBR1957 on January 18, 2013, 10:54:08 am
I won't recommend any bleach. It might get the stain off the
vinyl but people forget it can deteriorate the thread which can't get thoroughly rinsed. Don't know how
many times customers have brought covers and cushions in to be restitched after cleaning with bleach.
I took it jojo
was looking for info her, not to pass on

BigJohn

January 22, 2013, 09:25:26 pm #12 Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:38:58 pm by BigJohn
I've used a product called "Krud Kutter" on my boat lifts Vinyl cover and it worked great and Easy! Look for it at Amazon.com., Ebay, Wal-Mart, Menard's, Lowe's, or Home Depot. Search for a website to get more info.
                                                            Big John