Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 01:09:50 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Sewing a T-Cushion Deck (where portable cushion lays)

Started by baileyuph, July 21, 2016, 06:20:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Done these for years, observed how factory sews the 45 degree corners, but I am not an expert every time I do one of these. 

Wish I had a picture but the touble usually is

1.  Where to start sewing to keep the deck material symmetrically aligned with the front edge which is the selected upholstery material and the deck is usually the denim.

2.  The corner in the sides where the denim is sewn to the uph mat. can not always lay at a 90 degree. (seems but not always depends on how the bias sewn selvage is layed or separated.

This question came up on a couple of T-decks that I made this week.  The material wasn't real flimsy to sew or pattern but I sure had a time and tried all option on starting points and how I positioned the 45 degree selvage seam that comes from fabric/denim 90 degree corner out to the deck corner.

I don't see factories having major problems but sometimes it isn't easy.  Tried sewing the 45 degree bias seam to the deck connection by stopping the seam (back sewing to tie off) to the seam allowance and sewing this same seam all the way to the end, and also tried laying the seam allowance (on 45 degree seam) to the right, to the left, and spread flat - tried all!

All ears!
Doyle

kodydog

Getting the corner to lay flat without a pucker has always been a challenge for me. I find it helps to make a small clip on each side of the seam and lay the seam away from the foot. I start sewing in the middle and sew right up to the seam. With the needle down I then turn the fabric 90* taking extra care not to let the seam move. If it does it's going to pucker. Then I go back and do the other side. I'm sure there are other ways to do it and would also like to hear them.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

This is my first step:

On the second step, I fold the V cut, and sew a continuous seam from the end of the V all the way on to the denim. The chalk line represents where I would sew. I don't have a "dimple" where the V cut meets the denim.

Am I making sense?
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

Sofa, yes it makes perfect sense. I will try this next time.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

Thanks Kody and Dennis,

Yes, you both are making sense, I have had the easiest time with this issue with
the Dennis method because as you two know it gets around the ninety degree turn.

On the two job I just finished had one more seam on each side as I said before this is a T-cushion.  Which as you guys know there is a seam running right in front of the arm fronts in addition to the 45 degree seam.

I get head strong and want to do it like factory and now and then there is a little wrinkle due to how the seam goes across the 45 degree seam selvage.  And Kody, I also have to cut the selvage a little to get it flat.

When doing these seams I shorten my stitch length to make the deck stronger.

BTW, don't know where all the furniture lately is coming from but got a job today to do another half dozen pieces similar to this.

My time eater lately is getting those staples out. I admit I am particular and do the work as if it was my own chair.

There is plenty of work out there, as you already know.

Thanks again,
Doyle