Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 03:40:51 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Jobs in canvas/upholstery

Started by fragged8, August 26, 2014, 02:56:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fragged8

Hiya all

Here in the Uk I am thinking of going for broke next season and hiring canvas workers to take the pressure off me :-)

I am thinking of getting a US canvas guy or gal to work the summer season over here but i'm wondering how canvas workers are paid over there ? do they get a good weekly wage or a basic wage and bonus on completion of a job ?

Also if there is an experienced canvas person who wants to work in the UK for the season March to October get in touch .

RIchard

Darren Henry

What all paperwork would be required for a Canadian to work in the U.K?
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

fragged8

August 26, 2014, 06:46:14 am #2 Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:48:07 am by fragged8
I haven't looked that deeply into the paperwork required yet but the British home office has to issue a certificate to the candidate saying they are suitable for the work being offered.

being a colony i would expect it would be easier for Canadians to work in the UK than Americans, also it would be easier for me to employ somebody as self-employed rather than an employee

Over the next few weeks I will be checking out the visa requirements etc as I could do without the £10,000 fine for getting it wrong .. or $15,000 .

Mike

is it that hard to find a canvasser in the UK Rich?

scottymc

Hey rich, I just seen your forum and tried to register, but I just can't get that question right. So how many bloody legs does a worm have? Because none , nil , naught, 0 don't work, you have done my head in, thanks  :)

Allan

Yeah Scotty
He has questions on there that only someone living or born in the UK would know
That is probably why there are not a lot of players on the forum

Allan

Darren Henry

Quotebeing a colony i would expect it would be easier for Canadians to work in the UK than Americans,

I don't know how much weight having been a colony would make with the home office---especially after our Francophone Prime Minister of the day had to get his name in the history books for "bringing the BNA (british north america act) to Canada" in the mid eighties. I fail to see a difference---we still have a Governor General to pay to rubber stamp our law's on behalf of the crown, but I'm sure at levels higher than I ever have to deal with it has changed our relationship. Personally I think that happened in practice after Dieppe and Normandy---but I'm bias. Please don't read that wrong, I am a loyalist---But I offered to bleed for the Pearson pennant, not the union jack.

Quoteit would be easier for me to employ somebody as self-employed rather than an employee

I can't speak for side of the pond of course, but that would be difficult over here. I had entertained the dream of a working tour through the states [hang out with Gale in MN, work for Steve in Nebraska (tudor ford), off to "stitcher-guy" (Russ) etc... but everyone said US green cards (work visas) were all but unattainable. There is rising protest to Canada's Temporary foreign workers program as well. If this is a global trend, I would expect the home office to be a little selective about what foreign companies could work contracts that small when ( at least on their stats) the service could be sourced internally.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mojo

I did marketing consulting work and my biggest client was in the UK. I used to invoice them and they would pay via Credit Card.

I was doing so much work there at one time that during one of my trips I set up a bank account in my name and my client. We both shared the account. She deposited by checks into the account and I withdrew as needed using a debit card in the USA.

I am sure there would be a way around all of this. If you came down here and worked for me Darren I would pay you through Paypal for services rendered or just pay you cash. The only time you need a work permit in the USA is when your hired on as an employee. There are a hundred different ways around this............just ask our illegal immigrants who sneak across the border under the cover of darkness. :(

Chris

Mike

Quote from: Mojo on August 28, 2014, 10:35:14 am
There are a hundred different ways around this............just ask our illegal immigrants who sneak across the border under the cover of darkness. :(

Chris
Darren would be just the oppisite. I think hed be a white back or Iceback.

Darren Henry

ROFL!!! That is funny.

It would be slow going down to about Detroit-ish.

After that it would get pretty painfull swimming across --say Georgia!! ::)

QuoteI am sure there would be a way around all of this. If you came down here and worked for me Darren I would----

Oh for sure, Chris---For the short term. Up here we can even put up to $500 through the books as casual labour with no explanation or fees. For that long a term though, I don't know what would work best. I know Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) would red flag a 50% drop in my taxable income and pension/employment benefits payments. Rich , of course, would need to "explain away" the money I made him otherwise his people would be taxing him on it,etc... Did you require any ??permits,papers etc... to do business in the U.K? And were you physically there to do that work?

fragged8

August 29, 2014, 02:34:16 am #10 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:54:32 am by fragged8
i'll take a look at the forum registration,  had to put it on there because of the Chinese and russian spammers screwing my site up ..
there is only 2 questions which rotate randomly  "Add together 5 and 3, what do you get ?  
and how many legs does a worm have ? (use lowercase letters only )

pretty self explanatory and no local knowledge i thought ? let me know if it still doesn't work as there may be another problem.

These days there is always Paypal which is easy for cross border payments, I would like to get somebody self employed as that way I am not responsible for any taxes etc due, it's up to them to sort it out. The last guy I had was self employed and I paid him £15 an hour by cheque, he would then give me a receipt for my records and that was as much paperwork as I needed to do.
that guy was english but spent 6 months of the year in New Zealand so managed to avoid paying taxes anyway :-)
I think from your side of the pond you have to declare overseas earnings but have an allowance for that ??

The reasons I'm looking to the US for a canvas guy/gal Mike is yes its hard to find an experienced worker here, also it would be a great sales gimmick for me in the UK and quite frankly american tops are superior to a lot of the crap turned out over here ...

have a look at this Bayliner cover another shop local to me turned out (not mine ), i call them cheat tops. you'll notice no zips used at all, the front window doesnt come out and the camper back has no rain flap (pic2)as the top was made in one piece and just a zipper sewn on and cut across the top ..ok it was most likely made to a price but even so ..

Paperwork Darren, i don't need any to actually be in business , just pay my dues.

scottymc

I got it eventually, zero , not a word that comes to my limited mind easily, maybe more of an American term, dunno.

Was going to apply for the job, but not being American and failing the literacy test I wont bother, luckily I had my calculator handy so was able to add 5 and 3 :)

JuneC

August 29, 2014, 03:11:45 pm #12 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:17:11 pm by JuneC
Now that's just nuts - a boat with a walk-through windshield and covers that don't let you do it.  Are zippers hard to come by there?  What a pain it would be to put those on and off with no outside walkways to do all the fasteners.

I was amazed at the Fairline canvas I just replaced where the edges of the canvas were not turned under - just cut and sewn to the clear vinyl.   And as I understand it, Fairline is a premium brand.

And in the US we can pay an individual up to $600 a year with no paperwork.  If they earn more than that, they have to fill out a form with their tax id (usually a Social Security number) and the "employer" has to file a form (a 1099) at the end of the year saying who they paid and how much and give the ID #.  No escaping this.  Even PayPal sends out 1099's at the end of the year if you've collected more than $600 through online sales. 

Of course, you can pay anyone however much you want - just know you're on the hook for their employment taxes if you ever get audited - even if they weren't an employee. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Allan

Rich
It wasn't the worm question when i logged in.

Must have been trying to keep the colonies out

Allan

Mike

Quote from: JuneC on August 29, 2014, 03:11:45 pm
Even PayPal sends out 1099's at the end of the year if you've collected more than $600 through online sales. 

June
I didn't know that  seems dumb so if I sold my pwc say and took payment via paypal  so a iten I bought with taxed money if I liqudated it id be taxed again.   isn't that why we had the tea party in boston ?