Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 08:35:28 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

MFA Time standards manual, accurate?

Started by Rich, July 08, 2014, 06:33:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Does anyone use the MFA Time standards manual http://marinefabricatormag.com/repository/6/16594/0113mf_tsm.pdf
for estimating boat cover times? Do you find them to be accurate or low or high in their time estimates?
Thanks,
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike

I find  them very hight i dont recal but i think they said cor a simple
2 pass cockpit  cover from the glass top back crazy times like 6 or 8 hours.
Nut 10us years ago id have 6 boat T my shop and get them all done in a day now ill
Pri e a job as day as id have to go to the bost and pattern on a lift usualy then make it and return to i stall so ill figure 8 hours. But not if the boat comes to you

Id measure and cut and sew a 12' long blank take it out and pin it on the boat trim go in and bind it and then snap it on maybe 3 hours not rushing. 

Mike

When i would do 6 a day i sew all the blanks then pin then all and trim bacikly do them alll together

Rich

Thanks Mike,
To be fair, I have a reprint of an older standards manual and in that, they list all of the items being accounted for. I don't see it in the online version I linked to, but in the older version it listed just about everything related to the job including consulting with the boat owner, estimating the time and materials, ordering and receiving the materials, etc. So, there time is not just productive labor time. The times were about the same in the older version and the new, online version.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

JuneC

July 09, 2014, 06:49:58 pm #4 Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 06:59:01 pm by JuneC
I don't understand these standards.  For instance, an attached top (attached to either the windshield or an arch) = the adder for zippered pockets is for a 3-bow, .75.  But for a bimini top, zippered pokcets, 3-bow is 1.5.  I'm sorry... what's the difference?  A zippered bow pocket is just that, regardless of how or if the top is attached to an arch.  And why is it less time for a 9' beam than for a 7' beam?  Bogus metrics, IMHO.  It also depends on how you do your zippered pockets - zip in center of pocket or zip edge attached to main bimini fabric.  It's a big difference in time.  

And v-berth cushions - add 1/2 hour for beveled sides and 1/2 hour for welting.  Really??!!  Ok, if you can use old vinyl or fabric for a template and you're using pre-made welting.  If I'm going to cut 1.5 inch vinyl strips that'll go around a 7' v-berth, maybe 17 or 18 feet for each side, it's going to take way longer than 1/2 hour to make and install same.

Winch cover - small - .75 hours, large - 1.25 hours.  Sorry, but what's the difference?  Just the larger diameter adds half an hour to the fab time?  I don't think so....  Horseshite.

Some things are way too long, and others way too short.  Depends on how meticulous the stitcher is and the technique.  Me, I'd double most of those times.  

June

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike

July 10, 2014, 04:18:46 pm #5 Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 07:47:28 pm by Mike
Quote from: JuneC on July 09, 2014, 06:49:58 pm
I don't understand these standards.... zippered pockets is for a 3-bow, .75.  But for a bimini top, zippered pokcets, 3-bow is 1.5.  I'm sorry... what's the difference?  A zippered bow pocket is just that, regardless of how or if the top is attached to an arch.  And why is it less time for a 9' beam than for a 7' beam?  Bogus metrics, IMHO.  It also depends on how you do your zippered pockets - zip in center of pocket or zip edge .

yes it crazy even with zipper in the middle of the pocket on 3 pocket an hour and a half ? REALLY SERIOUS  I don't think so   years ago those time didn't say for extra like ordering and estimating I  saved every magazine for 20 years I tossed them al out last year I felt like a horder I only kept then because ....

Judy_Boat

I use them, mostly as a frame of reference against my time spent on a similar job. At least it gives me somewhere to start because I do not have major experience.

timtheboatguy

Glad I'm not the only one here that doesn't understand them, thought perhaps I was just a moron. :)
http://www.timtheboatguy.com

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
Douglas MacArthur