Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 12:21:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Fiddling with the clocks-again

Started by Rich, March 10, 2014, 04:06:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Does anyone know of a GOOD reason why we perpetuate this time change nonsense? After doing a quick search, I came up with so many more drawbacks than benefits (increased accidents right after the time change for one) that I wonder why we still do it. I for one would prefer that the the powers that be choose one time and stick with it, or, if they persist in keeping this time flip-flop year after year, then make the change at midnight on Friday instead of Sunday and declare the Monday and Tuesday following to be National Acclamation days so we can get used to the change before having to return to work. I see Arizona doesn't go along with this and I wonder why, if it works to stay with one time for them, it can't work for the rest of us.
Can some one enLIGHTen me about this?
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike

I hate i usualy wake up when the sky got light at 630 am.them slept  then slept another hour.   Now the dun did t wake me and i done have a hour for coffee as i should be leaving doon to det tk the shop at. 9.  For deleveries :(

Mike

March 10, 2014, 05:43:48 am #2 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 05:54:20 am by Mike
I dont know of anybody who works later. When i was in cunetruction we still left at 330 only worked late if we had to.  The banks still close the same.

Not only it it darker snd colder in the morning but tomorow i have to go pattern a boat it snd hour longrr now ill havr to sait for the sun to dry of the bost. 
Just stupid.

byhammerandhand

I'd be in favor of year round "daylight savings time."  But that being said, I'm at the western edge of a time zone and have longer daylight than most.

Neighboring Indiana used to be strange.   NW Indiana is part of Chicago metro area, that is on Central Time.  SE Indiana is more part of Cincinnati metro area that is on Eastern time.   Indianapolis, in the center of the state is neutral.  I don't know what they do now, but they used to not do the switch in part of the state.   Then the people that worked or lived in SE Indiana knew about "slow time" and "fast time."   Many did change their clocks and watches to be in synch with EDT and realized if if was local, it may be on "fast time."

My daughter that lives in the UP of Michigan is on Eastern time, though she's due north of Chicago and Wisconsin, both on Central time.   I suppose MI did not want to split the UP for arbitrary reasons.  Due to the western longitude and high latitude, it's light there past 10 pm summer evenings.    Alaska doesn't care.   When I was there in May, the sun set about 12:30 am and rose about 3:45 am.   And there was another seven weeks until solstice.

Time Standardization came about with the railroads.   It used to be each local had their own time standard.   This created chaos for the railroads,  where if it took 30 minutes between stops, each stop might differ by 28 minutes local time.

"Just don't call me late for dinner."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

bobbin

I don't particularly mind "daylight savings" but I wish they'd go back to the old schedule... used to turn the clocks back in late October and ahead in April and that minimized the increased darkness in the morning. 

I work early and I like the morning light very much.  Fishermen particularly dislike the loss of AM light as they're usually out of port well before sun up if they're heading off shore. Most of my friends think I'm nuts as they prefer it light later in the day. 

gene

March 10, 2014, 07:51:40 am #5 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:56:16 am by gene
MY GOOD REASON, by gene, the medicated, meditating, dog.

Our elected politicians are in business to make money and grab power. They grabbed 7% of our economy with Obama care. Not one of them read the legislation because it had nothing to do with providing health care to the peoples. It was all about grabbing power.

What better grab for power than to control TIME itself. OOOH! The selling point when they first got day light savings was that it will help the farmers. It was pointed out, and ignored, that the farmers get up at sunrise and go to bed at sunset.

Today the big reason to have it is to protect the safety of school children so they don't have to wait for the bus in the dark.

China, the biggest growing industrial country in the world does not have daylight savings. Oh, wait a minute. They don't even have "time zones", even though their country crosses 5, yes 5 different time zones.

It Takes a Village, by Hillary Clinton. A great read!

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JuneC

In Florida we may have changed the clocks for the last time.  Apparently it's up for a vote to stick with daylight savings time year round.  Suits me fine.  I hate the flip/flop chaos.  They just need to pick a time and stick with it.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Kids don't ride the school bus anymore.  Mummy and Daddy chauffeur the little darlings to the schoolhouse door and pick them up in the afternoon.  At the final bell there are more SUVs lined up in the parking lot than school buses! 

sofadoc

Quote from: bobbin on March 10, 2014, 11:13:33 am
Kids don't ride the school bus anymore.  Mummy and Daddy chauffeur the little darlings to the schoolhouse door and pick them up in the afternoon.  At the final bell there are more SUVs lined up in the parking lot than school buses!
We still have school busses. But the ones I see around here are driving around with less than 10% capacity. And yes, the SUV's are lined up around the corner at drop-off and pick-up time.

Most of the reasons for which DST was created are no longer relevant.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I made the mistake of driving past an elementary school last month I could not figure out what the traffic jam was until I saw the school sign.  I live less than 1/4 mile to the elementary school.  Yet my neighbors drive their kids to school rather than have them walk on the 6' wide sidewalk all the way there.  When I was in high school, my mother worked at the school I went to and drove to work.   I still rode the bus every day.

Most of the reasons for "summer vacation" are no longer relevant since only 2% of the population lives on farms.  A lot of the work now is done by GPS controlled machinery that just needs to be babysat.

Quote from: sofadoc on March 10, 2014, 11:47:32 am
We still have school busses. But the ones I see around here are driving around with less than 10% capacity. And yes, the SUV's are lined up around the corner at drop-off and pick-up time.

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Darren Henry

March 10, 2014, 03:18:01 pm #10 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 03:21:07 pm by Darren Henry
i agree with bobbin that it's too early for DST.Last week I was finally driving to work without headlights ---today,back in the dark.

Saskatchewan [our neighbouring province by less than 200km]does not observe DST. They say it confuses the cattle.so for half the year we are in the same time zone and the other half we are an hour ahead. PITA.

I thought I had found all the clocks in here yesterday---stove,vcr,etc...I was some torqued this AM to find out that my coffee would be ready and waiting for me in about an hour.Yup---it's Monday.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

Quote from: sofadoc on March 10, 2014, 11:47:32 am

its crazy kids get a driven to the bus stop even and I see moms parked waiting for the bus.  I avoid the school zones whenb I can with all the cars driving the kids home  I used to walk home when I had after school activities. 3  0r 4 miles maybe more. dad was at work and mom didn't drive back then.  and we never had these flashing light for 15 mph it so stupid even the high school with the kids driving there own cars.  but I got to creep by.  withoug a kid in sight walking . 

bobbin

If you are a student in "the county" (Aroostook) you get 1-2 wks. off in late Sep't./Oct. so you can help harvest potatoes.  Some kids do! but let's face it, it's not really crucial that kids help with the haHvest nowadays  But man! mention eliminating those two weeks and the cry is raised, "but it's our culture!".  (uh, so was slavery, segregation, denying women the right to vote, etc.).  

Time to stop looking back to the "good old days" and start looking critically at today and the future.  (I relinquish the soapbox).  

gene

March 10, 2014, 04:28:28 pm #13 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:36:07 pm by gene
We're so worried about our kids safety is so many areas of life. Why then don't kids wear seat belts while riding a school bus?

QuoteSaskatchewan [our neighbouring province by less than 200km]does not observe DST. They say it confuses the cattle.

So this guy in Saskatchewan stopped to ask these cows if they new what time it was. The 2 cows with their heads up started arguing about whether it was daylight savings time yet.

One of the cows eating grass was heard to say, "Does anybody really know what time it is?"

The other cow eating grass said, "Does anybody really care?"

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/genejoe/465_zpsb5f4d3f6.jpg

gene

gene

March 10, 2014, 04:34:46 pm #14 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:35:42 pm by gene
QuoteTime to stop looking back to the "good old days" and start looking critically at today and the future.

Good point.

My brother-in-law who knows everything about everything, especially those things that he knows nothing about, is really big on "magnetic resonance from the earth".

He sleeps on magnets that have a wire going outside to the ground. He said when people used to walk around barefoot they made contact with the ground and the magnetic poles of the earth were positively affecting people. Now that we wear shoes and walk on concrete and blacktop, we've lost this connection and that's why people get sick and get things like cancer.

I pointed out to him that when people used to walk around barefoot their life expectancy was about 35 years.

End of discussion!

gene

PS: It wasn't that many generations ago that no one had "soap boxes".  ;D