Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 03:08:05 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Competing against the discounters

Started by Rich, January 26, 2013, 06:32:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Check out this aticle about a small hardware store that has found ways to compete with Home Depot. Walmart, now poses a new set of challenges, but with his mindset, he may survive them too!
Can we come up with strategies to set our businesses apart in the eyes of our customers?
Rich

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/intown-ace-hardware_n_2456458.html?ncid=webmail11#slide=more274657
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

sofadoc

Interesting story. I think the guy has a good chance of surviving, even with a Wally World nearby.

We have a mom&pop Ace Hardware store here that does extremely well, even though Lowe's, Home Depot, and Wal-Mart are all within seeing distance.
How well? Of course the owner hasn't shared his total sales figures with me. But he did tell me that he rings up 40 grand a year just for cutting keys.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Rich

Did you ask him how much one of those key machines is? :D
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

byhammerandhand

I like to patronize my corner hardware store.   I'm always amazed at the stuff I can find there.   For example, I looked all over for a cell phone case that I liked and they had exactly what I wanted.   Looking for a one-cup drip coffee cone -- likewise, but I had to order it:   Order in by Sunday close of business, arrives on the truck Wednesday without shipping and handling charge.   Another one of those places where I feel like Norm at Cheers -- everyone greets me by name when I walk in.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

I'd much rather shop Ace Hardware or True Value over the overwhelming box stores. Sometimes its hard to find what your looking for just because of the sheer size of the place.

To answer Riches question, I think the advantage we have over the big box furniture stores is knowledge of our product. Ask a technical furniture question to a salesperson at most furniture stores and there is no telling what might spew out of there mouth. Educating the consumer is our biggest advantage.

Hammer makes a good point. Most of my customers are on a 1st name basis. How many of the discount stores can boast that.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html