Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 05:00:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

38 foot Viking sportfish canvas

Started by jsquail, March 29, 2011, 11:57:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jsquail

I have a friend who has asked me to price out new canvas on the bridge of his 38 ft viking. Pricing it out is fairly easy. However, he has asked me to do the front and sides in 1 piece each. The canvas that was on it had 3 pieces across the front and 2 across each side. So, my questions are these if the length will allow a full sheet of Strata to be used, will it function as it should and will it look good?

I am also open for the pros and cons of doing one piece versus 2 or 3.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com
I can be found on Facebook and Google+ as Gloucester Canvas

Mike8560

If it's styled like I think the windows are squared at the front formers a d the windows don't curve around to the side. So you might make the width if it's 111"
thenside maybe ? It would work but be a bear to pit the window on. Tought even with 2. Personally I'd eTher see 3 window as London as the helm
is centered
why doese he want one piece ? I'd point our
t if it was smaller 3 then it would be easier to reace the vinyl down the line and easier is cheaper.

jsquail

I am assuming he wants one piece for visibility purposes. The last set looks like he had about 4-5 inches on white vinyl/zipper where the three front pieces came together. I am trying to get several good reasons to talk him out of it. mainly because i know how much of a pain it will be to put the smiley's in.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

JuneC

Too big, too heavy, too difficult to handle, and impossible for you to sew in the smileys.  Maybe go with #8 zips between panels and make the binding only wide enough to cover the zip tape.  I never make the bindings wider than the zips just for this reason.  1.5" between panels is not much of a visual obstructions and that's for #10 zips.  #8's are slightly narrower.   

The biggest panels I've ever done were roughly 1/2 sheet of Strat and next time I'll charge a serious premium for dealing with pieces that large. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

What I do is I'll use 2" facing and wrap it onthe vertical edges like binding this puts 1" on each side for 2" total on each zipper joint.   The  u zippers is a good point. 

fragged8

if you use the Hood binder then the total width of the joint
will be 1 1/2" and zippers hidden both inside and out.

I just saw a customer with a glass rear cover that was pretty large
and man was that heavy, i had to help him put it up.

Rich

jsquail

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it. Next time i talk to my buddy im going to give him the lowdown on why not to go with one piece. Hopefully he will decide to go with 3 pieces. If he still wants one i dont think i and going to take on the job. The more i think about it there is no way i can get a full sheet of strata 40 ga under my consew for the smileys.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

Mike8560

I had to make a new rear window on the  ridge of a cruisers inc it had a aft deck hard top the window on the rear from the Bimini down to the aft deck hard top was done in one piece with two u zippered in it.  What a pia to fool it up todo the zippers getting it under my singer 111w155

baileyuph

April 02, 2011, 06:51:36 am #8 Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:55:32 am by DB
Is the bridge the elevated enclosure the pilot uses to navigate?

These marine terms throw me, the stuff isn't near as technical as the terms.  

We are in an area where I don't know if I have ever head that term.  Combing pads is another term rarely heard.  We are in pontoon, runabout, where  smaller boats are used.  Anyone heard the term paddle boat?  LOL.  That might have been the first boat I remember.  The upholstery was a kapoc cushion that would most likely serve as a life jacket as well as a seat.  Paddle boats were used on small lakes and are ideal for fishermen because they allow fishing in the brush or small pockets, smaller coves that is.  Those were the days.  They could be rented for less than five bucks a day so it didn't make sense to own one.

I will have to get down to Florida and discover a new boat world.

Back to the bridge, is it air conditioned?

Doyle

jsquail

Quote from: DB on April 02, 2011, 06:51:36 am
Is the bridge the elevated enclosure the pilot uses to navigate?

These marine terms throw me, the stuff isn't near as technical as the terms.  

Back to the bridge, is it air conditioned?

Doyle

Yes the bridge is where the pilot navigates. On this model Viking this is the only helm on the boat. No A/C on this bridge.

Quote from: Mike8560 on April 02, 2011, 06:34:18 am
What a pia to fool it up todo the zippers getting it under my singer 111w155

Yeah. i can imagine. I have been envisioning how i would roll up an entire sheet to get it under my Consew which has about the same clearance as your singer.
Gloucester Canvas
www.gloucestercanvas.com

Mike8560

Doyle the bridge or flybridve From  flying bridge is up top over the cabin older boat like my old bayliner

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/BLue%20Dolphin%201/stumppassanchorage002.jpg
here had a ladder newer boats have stairs
like this silverton
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/photo-97.jpg
that has a aft deck with cabin under it also the bridge is the highest above the aft deck
from the aft deck you go down stairs into the cabin salon with the cartians stateroom under the adtdeck down a few steps from the salon and galley head and forward v berth forward down a few ste

Mike8560

And here in fl many boats also have AC on the bridge as well as the cabin.
When I first came to fl I was surprised to see bridge enclosures up in place in 80  or 90 degree weather underway.   And yes I used to own a paddle boat