Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 06:57:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

3/16'' crown stapler

Started by fingers, February 06, 2012, 02:40:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fingers

I just picked up a swell new Senco stapler off of ebay for $89. They retail new for around $185 Problem is it's rigged for 3/16'' crown staples. Never occurred to me there could be a variant. Doh! Currently in the process of hunting down a company that can supply the parts for conversion unless someone on the forum can convince me that a 3/16'' crown staple is a must have for furniture upholstery. I've seen the narrow crown used for dbl welt but prefer hot glue myself. It's a really great looking gun, feels great in the hand, works perfectly and I'm chompin' at the bit to use it. Insights?

Peppy

I've never heard of a conversion before. It would seem you would have to change a lot of parts. I don't expect it would be worth it. I have a crown gun it's handy but I can't say I use it every day. It is handy for dbl welt and things like carpet. I do like having it around and wouldn't get rid of it. Senco's are good guns.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering

byhammerandhand

Is this the 19 gauge or 22 gauge model?  That would make a big difference in its application.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Peppy

Quote from: byhammerandhand on February 06, 2012, 04:46:49 am
Is this the 19 gauge or 22 gauge model?  That would make a big difference in its application.

True, I use the heavier on constantly. I assumed it was the thinner one. (sorry, I'm terrible with gauge- 19g is thicker, right?)

fingers

22 gauge with max leg length of 5/8'' so it couldn't be used for any wood assembly that I do with any regularity. Open to ideas..

sofadoc

The 22 gauge is what I've always referred to as a "gimp" stapler. It was originally intended to replace the use of gimp tacks (the tacks with the little round heads). Some use it between the rows of double welt, but it does tend to leave a dip at each staple. I used to use it only in the corner when turning double welt.
I had one for 20 years. When it finally crapped out, I didn't bother to replace it.
I've also seen gimp staples between the fake heads on nailhead trim.

I use the 18 gauge version for minor frame repair, and occasionally anchoring corners of skirts when the fabric is very thick. I got this idea from seeing thick skirts that were anchored on the corners with roofing nails.

I used to know an upholsterer who never bought metal nailstrip, or pli-grip. He would bury gimp staples under the welt cord everywhere.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

Yes, 22 gauge is thinner than 19 or 18 gauge.  22 gauge is the range of upholstery staples, 18 gauge is the range of pneumatic brads.

I have an 18 ga / 1/4" crown that I use for stapling plywood backs on casegoods, attaching fiberboard panels and webbing on upholstered frames, and occasionally to get though and hold multiple layers of leather down that keeps pulling out regular staples. 
I've repaired way too many upholstered frames where structural joints were held together with staples to ever consider it for this application.  Screws and glue for me.

According to Senco's web site for their 3/16 crown 22 ga.:
Applications
Upholstering operations, furniture assembly, cabinets,
automotive vinyl roofs and interior trim, bedding manufacture,
TV and stereo grille cloth, picture frames, shoemaking,
molding and roofing felt.

Quote from: fingers on February 06, 2012, 11:10:14 am
22 gauge with max leg length of 5/8'' so it couldn't be used for any wood assembly that I do with any regularity. Open to ideas..
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Peppy

Yes I looked at my gun. It's a 18g shooting up to 1 1/4" staples that I use almost daily. The other, the 'gimp gun' shoots 5/8" and I use that rarely. It is handy sometimes though. Sometimes it'll shoot into fiberglass where the normal staples won't. And I use it sometimes into plastic, like bucket seats, where it seems to hold a little better than a normal staple.

ahkahn

I'm showing that it could be a Senco "W" series gun.  If that is the case, that would cross over to a BeA 97 series... and we stock staples for that gun. 

If you can get a Senco letter/model off of the gun, I can cross it over for you. 

-Andrew

sofadoc

February 08, 2012, 06:37:42 pm #9 Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:28:05 pm by sofadoc
Here's an example of a minor frame repair with the 18 gauge:
This is a common joint on La-z-boys that separates. I clamp, glue, and then glue a thin piece of panel board over the joint. Then I staple with the 18 gauge nailer.
I did this repair about 10 years ago, the last time I recovered this recliner.

fingers

I finally spoke with tech support at Senco, too expensive to convert over. Any one interested in buying it before I put it on ebay? Paid $89 to have it shipped to my door. Any offer real close to that and I'll ship it right out.

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

fingers

Paul, since you want two, you'll have to bid against yourself and the others that are forming a line while I pen this very imaginative marketing scheme. But I will show favoritism towards you when the bidding is over....

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on February 08, 2012, 06:37:42 pm
Here's an example of a minor frame repair with the 18 gauge:
This is a common joint on La-z-boys that separates. I clamp, glue, and then glue a thin piece of panel board over the joint. Then I staple with the 18 gauge nailer.
I did this repair about 10 years ago, the last time I recovered this recliner.

Looks like a good repair job, similar to what I would do but I'm trying to figure out what part of the recliner I'm looking at.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on February 18, 2012, 04:01:05 pm
Looks like a good repair job, similar to what I would do but I'm trying to figure out what part of the recliner I'm looking at.
It's the rear outside arm frame of a La-z-boy. The frame is turned upside down in the pic.