Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 01:00:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

3 Panel Room Divider Screen

Started by sunapeeupholstery, December 23, 2011, 07:10:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sunapeeupholstery

December 23, 2011, 07:10:43 am Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:39:21 pm by sunapeeupholstery
I've just been asked for a quote on a 3 paneled room divider screen that is currently just a frame.

I've never done something like this before and would appreciate any construction or pricing tips.

It seems very straight forward though: staple two equal sized pieces of fabric to each panel (possibly with thin padding in between) and hot glue gimp over the staples.  Any additions?

Pricing I would say $100.  Less or more?

bobbin

Sounds like you've got a decent plan, Sunapee.  Just keep track of your time carefully to find out if your pricing is in the ballpark.  You will never lose money if you work "stock and time"; but unless you track your time honestly it's easy to undersell yourself. 

(you from NH?)

Mike

I was wondering the same Bobbin. Sounds like lake sunapee

sunapeeupholstery

The upholstery side seems easier then the business side sometimes.  Let me see if I understand you; I give the estimate, keep track of my time on the project then deliver the completed project with the invoice (which could have a higher or lower labor cost, depending on my time?). 

I know that makes the most sense business-wise but as a beginner I'm having trouble telling the customer that.

And yes I'm right near Lake Sunapee in New Hampshire.

bobbin

Yup.  When I'm faced with something new or something I've never tried before I give an estimate that spans the high and the low end.  I am pretty good at coming up with a plan on how to proceed, and I have a pretty good handle on how long something is going to take, but I like to build in a little cushion so I don't wind up working for peanuts. 

Get any snow today? none here, just rain in the banana belt of Maine. 

Mike

Me I have to vi e a firm price on a project they want to k ow what it's goj g to cost them. I just got a net to make today 1" webbing to protect a rowboat driver if the towrope breaks.

Welcome sunappe I used to have a shop on Alton bay in new Hampshire.

sunapeeupholstery

December 23, 2011, 01:43:00 pm #6 Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:44:14 pm by sunapeeupholstery
To Mike; 1" webbing for safety sounds like a fun project.  Did you mostly do boat upholstery in Alton?  I've only just started antique furniture upholstery on my own.  Boat upholstery seems like a whole different animal.

To Bobbin; we had about 4" of snow on the warm ground, which quickly melted to 1".  So, nothing compared to that freak Halloween snowstorm.

Mike

December 23, 2011, 02:40:52 pm #7 Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:42:06 am by Mike
In Alton right were the bridge is on rt 11 over the merrymeeting river feeding the lake I had Alton bay bait and tackle along with bayview canvas we did canvas  and upholstery  work 7 days a week till I e then no canvas
ps. Spring of 04 I was gone.

kodydog

December 23, 2011, 07:15:01 pm #8 Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:18:12 pm by kodydog
On my computer your photo came out weird. Looks like a black square with a round circle in it and a white horizontal line through the circle. But when I right clicked on it and hit "view" the photo came up.

The panels are tall and the wood used is thin. When you pull the fabric tight side to side the panels are going to warp inward. Is there any way you can add a horizontal stretcher half way up.

When billing on a job I'm not familiar with I do something smiler to Bobbin. I quote high and tell the customer I'll keep track of the time and try to do better. Imagine there surprise and gained faith when I come in with a lower invoice.

PS. Just went back and the photo is working fine.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

Quote from: kodydog on December 23, 2011, 07:15:01 pm
PS. Just went back and the photo is working fine.
Not for me. Not even right clicking. I don't get a "view" option when I right click it. I guess it's time to trade in the ole "Commodore 64" :D
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

December 23, 2011, 08:10:08 pm #10 Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:13:19 pm by kodydog
My parents owned a Commodore 64. My dad thought it would be the last computer he would ever own. When it became obsolete he got so disgusted he never learned another system. My mom tried to show him how to surf the internet one day. After 5 minutes he threw up his hands and walked out of the room.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike

just took my desk top in for repairs the guy told ne it was one of the first with xp but he could t even boost it to 1 gig? It's all frooze up it used to take 20 to boot up
now it just sits there