Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 07:02:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

45k21 bobbin threading?

Started by skegfish, July 30, 2011, 06:51:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

skegfish

HIall, Have the new to me 45k21 boat anchor about ready to sew.
Can't seen to find bobbin threading instructions, I find parts lists out the wazoo but no instructions, ( for free that is )
Anybody walk me thru the process, and that is one big bobbin as well!
Thanks, jeff in PA

Mojo

Are you talking about how to wind thread onto bobbins using your machine ?

Chris

cgillock

Need a little more info on exactly what you need. Putting thread on the bobbin is done on a winder. I have been using a 45 for years & have a couple manuals around here someplace.

sofadoc

I know that you said "for free", but did you see this one? You can download a copy for $5.
http://www.mastersewusa.com/infos_45k-series.html
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

skegfish

well I did find the instructions for 5$ and downloaded it. But when I load the bobbin in the case and thread under the tension plate and on to the eye hole, snap the holder into place, it still does not pick-up the thread.
instructions for flatbed model say put cap on at the end of bobbin instructions but the cap is left out with post bed machine? mine does not have a cap over bobbin cavity, post bed.
guess i'll have to try it again tomorrow.
just frustrating not being able to test the darn thing.
jeff in PA

needles eye

July 31, 2011, 11:02:09 pm #5 Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:28:07 pm by needles eye
Hi, could try this:
re post bed and flatbed in bobbins adlers, say, are the same however they load from the top and not the front side
sounds like you are missing the bobbin plate cover, you can buy these on line or Keystone, that is, if its a top loader
wind you bobbin up, then hold case in left hand
bobbin in right hand, thread is coming from under bobbin and towards you
for front mount bobbin insert thread into side slot in the bobbin case, pull thread towards you and down and under little spring lip at front of bobbin case,
so, the bobbin case is now loaded when you put the bobbin back in the bobbin case
you close the bobbin case spring lever (which you later flick out to remove bobbin) and insert bobbin case holding bobbin into the machine, note, you must hear a definite click when it goes in properely, if machine is top mount bobbin then put it in with the case and close the post pin
you left about 4 inches of bobbin thread out right

roll handwheel towards you, and, look to see if the shuttle is catching the bobbin thread
make sure top threaded properly with some tension
thread usually goes from left to right through the needle

you need the bobbin thread to feed up through the hole in the feed dog
hold the thread from needle reasonably tight with left hand
rotate handwheel towards you a full turn with right hand
shuttle rotates and picks up the needle thread and wraps it around bobbin thread
as you are gently pulling with left hand this should pull the bobbin thread up through the feed hole
you are set to go, best to hold both threads in your left hand as you start sewing so they don't tangle or come out of needle
do some test stitches
check tensions if bottom is loose then crank on more tension turn adjuster knurl clockwise

(if still not picking up bobbin thread keep rotating handwheel and maybe try to help the shuttle hook catch the thread
if still not picking up perhaps your machine has a mechanical safety clutch it may be tripped out
keep trying, roll the wheel backwards a full turn or two and try again
the shuttle hook has to catch the thread somehow you;ll see it turning around maybe push tread with matchstick a little
if you still can't pull out bobbin thread with left hand try then try sliding scissors between feed dogs and presser foot up as you rotate the wheel towards you or try and pick up the loop with tweezers)
good luck
:)

note that old, small,  pieces of  thread can get caught under and behind the shuttle in the shuttle hook assembly, that is, stopping movement of the hook in the case to pick up bobbin thread to needle thread loop so remove these pieces of thread with lotsa patience, WD 40. quick unpicker, tweezers and fine pliers