Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 02:41:44 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

How do you use the button cover cutting tool on the button covering machine?

Started by baileyuph, April 16, 2018, 06:48:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Was making buttons today and noticed my cutter used to cut the circular cap covers was (appeared) dull.
It is dull or maybe I didn't have the cutter layered properly. 

What I am describing in when cutting the caps on the button press the layers on the press were:

1. circular piece of hard wood about 1/2 inch thick
   2. next was a layer of dense press board
   3. then the top layer is the button material
   4. Of course on top of all this is the circular cutter that the press works against.

When doing all that is when I noticed the dull symptom (dull or my layers prepared for cutting were
not best.

If it matters, I was cutting (trying at least - operation assisted by hand scissors) button cap circular
pieces of material for size 36 buttons.

Got it done but wondering about the sharpness of the cutter - felt of the edge and noticed there
was some sharpness there.

What do the pros think, try to sharpen the cutter?  Stack the layers differently (meaning type of
materials) differently?

Back to doing cutting sharpness:  How would one do that?  Or go buy new cutter?

I do know stacking the right materials on the circular wood piece used in the press is or can be
important.

Doyle 

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

SteveA

all cutting tools will need sharpening at some point and I know you have a busy shop.  Maybe loosing the pressed wood will help.  The cutter would do better if the opposing end of the fabric is against a hard surface.  When i bought my cutter it came with a hard plastic platform which I continue to use in lieu of wood. 
I don't know if you send your scissors out for sharpening however they may be able to do your cutters.  Also on your own you can take some 320 silicone carbide black paper and touch up the edge without fear of doing too much instead of with a grinder wheel
SA

gene

I sharpen my cutters with my work sharpener. I very lightly sand the outside edge of the cutter as I rotate the cutter. When you have a lot of buttons to make being able to cut through multiple layers of fabric at a time makes a big difference.

http://www.worksharptools.com/sharpeners-37/original-knife-tool-sharpener.html
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

For sure, Gene on the benefit of a very sharp cloth cutter. 

I suppose you use some grade of emery cloth?

Cloth in one hand and circular in the other and twist back and forth.

Thanks,

Doyle

BTW, for my scissors I bought a professional set up few years back.  In recall it cost
in the area of about $650.  I has been worth it ----- with the manual it takes care of
all sizes of scissors.  Wish I could use it (scissor sharpener on button cover issue) but haven't figured that part out.

Doyle

kodydog

Most shops I've worked at used a set up like this,
https://www.ebay.com/i/152086634269?chn=ps
And this machine gets the job done as long as your cutters are sharp.

When I was getting my first shop set up I was fortunate to acquire this Handy press from a manufacture going out of business .
https://photos.app.goo.gl/f1Q4qQURIE0Opyw42
The nice thing about this machine is it creates a lot of toque and even with my dullest cutter it easly cuts through 10 layers of thick fabric .

Another thing I learned is to use the next size cutter. For instance on a 22 button I use a size 30 cutter. This helps avoid the pinpoint accuracy you need to line up the fabric when pressing the button top into the die.

I also use it to set grommets. And I use it to make a plug gasket every time I change the oil in my van. Handy indeed.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html