Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 09:05:54 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Am I The Only One ??

Started by Mojo, August 21, 2013, 07:00:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojo

I have had a week where I didn't want to go into the shop at all. I have these spells now and then and they typically happen during a mad rush of orders. I have had to kick myself in the ass numerous times this week to get some rush orders out.

It has also been a week from hell in regards to customers. I am chasing one coach owner across the country and have to have an order done and sitting on the dealers door step by Labor day. Another placed a large order and after some discussion wanted to hold off on doing his window awnings on his Bus. He then called the next day and placed an order for them AFTER I ordered the material. So I had to call Miami Mike and order more fabric.

Most times I head to the shop, turn up the stereo and crank out the orders while singing and smiling. But this week I have had to drag my sorry, tired fat butt into the shop every morning kicking, cussing and screaming all the way.

Do the rest of you have these day's or week's like this where you dread heading off to your shop ?

Chris

sofadoc

Yea, Chris........it's just you. We all love our jobs!!  ;)

I have a hard time getting motivated when I know that I have a day full of piddly jobs ahead of me. There was a time back in my younger days when those jobs were fun and/or challenging, and I was too stupid to realize that they weren't profitable.

I generally just turn those jobs down now. But occasionally, a longtime regular customer holds a gun to my head. Like last week, when I had 3 sofas to do, and I'm stuck making 12 attached cushions for trash can lids out of some cheap JoAnn's crap.  I'd rather have a root canal.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Dede

Quote from: sofadoc on August 21, 2013, 07:31:14 pm...I'm stuck making 12 attached cushions for trash can lids out of some cheap JoAnn's crap.

This sounds... interesting.
West Village Studio
www.workroombuttons.com

Grebo

August 22, 2013, 05:26:06 am #3 Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:31:59 am by Grebo
Yes Chris, I sometimes have to take a day off to do something / anything else, even when I have stuff waiting. If I try working when I am either too tired or totally uninterested, it always goes wrong. So I just don't do it.
Sometimes I take the whole day, just kicking around the shop cleaning & putting stuff away.
I can't work in a mess so that helps.
Working under the house  helps, I can skive off, up stairs. Clean something or make a cuppa tea.

I had a real problem last year, spend hours just messing about on the internet, forums etc.  :-[  I physically had to remove the machine from the shop to get some work done.
Now we have moved & it lives up two flights of stairs so it's easier to limit it to tea breaks & lunch time.

Suzi

Mike

I have time I dread goin gto do a installation I like it whe I have nothing t do but g to the shop and sew unless its hot as hell in the summer