Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 05:40:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

auto upholstery

Started by jeepdoc, July 22, 2010, 06:28:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepdoc

My son wants me to redo his interior in in chevy cobalt. Any special concerns with using a tweed material and vinyl togeather? Thinking of doing the center in tweed and the bolsters in vinyl.  As far as sew foam Im thinking 1/2in under the center and 1/4 under the bolsters. now does the foam get glued to the underside?

SHHR

Gluing the material to the foam isn't really necessary. I always stitch the two together right at the edge of the material. This reduces the thickness of material going under the foot when sewing everything up.
Although I do use a little glue when using a material like ultraleather since it's so soft and stretches easy. It's easy to get out of shape when sewing to the foam and the glue keeps lying in place good.
It doesn't take much just a light spray, same way on fabric just a light spray if you do use it. Too much will soak through the tweed.
Kyle

stitcher_guy

What he said, I agree completely. lolol

I get the cheapest glue I can find. I just want the foam to stick long enough to get the pieces sewn together, then I really don't care. If you do spray it on the back of the cloth (tweed should pose no problem at all, but be leery of the thinner velour type clothes) and it looks like there are heavy spots, just let it set for a few minutes to tack up more than usualy. Otherwise, if you push on the material from the front to stick it down, the wet spots will soak through. And then they are there to haunt you forever. Letting it dry will keep the spots down.

Moparman

Hey Russ,  Sent you a PM

Saddleman

Turn your son loose on the job.  My 17 year old son is doing custom seats for his '95 Mustang.  I'm helping by giving him direction, and teaching but letting him do the work.  He started on the rear seat.  He has it stripped, some new foam work done to change the shape, patterned and half the material is cut out and laminated to scrim foam.  He is using a black faux suede in the centers and camel color Morocco vinyl from Mellohide for the bolsters and rest of the seats.  Doing French seams in a golden brown, which really pops on the black suede.  I'm not sure who is more excited him or me.  LOL

Loren

hdflame

Loren, be sure to post some pictures when he's finished.  I've seen brown and black together before and want to redo my truck.  I haven't made up my mind exactly what I want to use yet.

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Saddleman

Bobby, I will do that as he make some more progress on it.  The colors and textures do look fabulous together. 

SHHR

Loren, It's good to see your son taking an interest in the trade. My 10 year old daughter is always watching and asking questions about the work I do. I hope as she gets a little older she keeps that interest up. I'm thinking of getting out and blowing the dust off of her mom's home machine so she can start practicing some basic stitches, and I won't have to worry too much about getting her fingers ripped off.
Kyle