Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 05:30:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Narrow crown stapler

Started by gene, June 12, 2018, 05:31:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

When you use a narrow crown staple to secure the corners of double welt cord, do you use the 18 gage narrow crown staple that Harbor Freight guns use?

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-air-nailerstapler-63156.html

Or do you use a narrow crown stapler that has staples as thin as the Series 7 staples?

Thanks,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

Gene, I bought the harbor freight gun. The staples are to thick to be useful on DW. I finally found a gun from Senco that shoots the thinner staples. It makes a bit difference. But they still make the stapled area noticeable. There is no way around it. But the HF stapes are just too fat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BPBCTDY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

I use the narrow crown and series 7 staples. The HF tool is not good for double welt.

But, for corners, glue.

Doyle

gene

Thank you for the info. My memory is good enough to remember that this was talked about before on this forum, but my memory is not good enough to remember what was said.

On some ornate wood carved or antique furniture there are sometimes acute angles that the double welt cord needs to fit into. I always find a gimp tack or the narrow staple. I usually tap in a brad nail with a head on it which is a real pain to do. My fingers are not so nimble any more.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

I sometimes use a brad nail gun to anchor corners on DW.

I used to have a "gimp gun", which was a 1/4" crown 20 gauge stapler. When it crapped out, I never tried to replace it.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

I have a duo fast 3/16th crown 23 gauge stapler.  You can bury a staple without seeing it but the hard part is not making a dent. 
I guess if I was working on something that needed to be perfect - no dent but required holding power I'd consider putting a stitch with a curved needle -
I bought a pack of gimp nails to copy the way gimp was attached in the last century for a chair I did last year.  . That was nice and easy - no glue - the nails are meant to show -
SA