Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 08:53:41 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

needle holes in leather

Started by gene, August 04, 2017, 03:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

What is the best way to hide/ cover up sewing machine needle holes in leather?

I am not asking if it is possible because I do not want to hear that it is not possible.

Just give me a DIY easy to use with products I have in my kitchen or can buy at the store that I can fix my sewing mistakes and I will be happy.

Thank you,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

brmax

This is possible!
Process is called casing leather, it normaly is done on a veg tan leather prior to carving or stamping.
Its possible to be used on the typical upholstery leather which is chrome tanned mostly. So the procedure would be done wrong so as to dry to much afterwards and slightly tightening back up, to much for easy carving or the stamping of designs will not hold a pristine or sharp edged shape.
The thickness is somewhat a experienced guess of water either spritzed, sponged, or dunked in water. If its a very thick saddle part simply a lot of moisture and set for possibly 6 hours. On the other hand thin 3-4 ounce could be sprayed and let sit to a moist feel on the cheek we could say. Now with the many tools in the kitchen a spoon or the heavy edge of other utinsel pressing the needle holes to close up and this coulld be on both sides. With a small roller the leather could be rolled at the spots and or lightly hammered with a smooth face cobblers hammer or whats handy. This if we are positive and done early on can dry to much and swell the needle holes closed.

Good luck on your mission Gene
Floyd

brmax

Is this a few holes or a bit longer. I bet our local Cobbler here on the forum could have some good tips.

Floyd

baileyuph

Two questions:  How many holes (or length) and where will the area of holes end up
on the furniture?  I they are spot on center cushion, OMG!

But, maybe else where it can be managed?

I have seen issues similar on leather auto seats that management is possible. 

But, be wary, repairing holes (or filling/dying) on auto seats is not an easy solution nor cheap (repair supplies are not cheap nor that quick), but done to sell the auto in an auction
like dealers do. 

Not to discourage, it might be cheaper and obviously better to get replacement leather.
But, just depends on what is available with respect to this leather.

Get the job done right and hopefully the size is small.

Always something, isn't it!

Like I said, my experience is w.r.t. auto problems and were handled in a different fashion. 

One problem with fixing-to use- is to avoid hole fillers in highly visible areas where flexing
will transpire; because filling holes with a paste that will dry and not flex like surrounding leather will (lead to cracking where repaired surface meets undamaged leather).

Use the damaged leather in a hard to notice area if possible.

Doyle

davidfilton

August 09, 2017, 04:11:09 am #4 Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:37:09 am by davidfilton
Nice thread about sewing machines http://sewingmachinespoint.com

Darren Henry

Back when I was making shoes we used to use those wood fill pencils and posible a shot of aerosol leather dye to fill small defects like needle holes. We always did it with the shoe stretched around the last {the form it was made on}. In this case I would stretch the leather over a smooth board and tack it with staples in the salvage. Picture stretching a beaver belt.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!