Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 06:21:04 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

leather loveseat

Started by gene, July 31, 2017, 05:25:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I have a customer who is wanting an estimate for reupholstering two leather loveseats. They each have a single seat cushion, attached back cushions. 68 inches wide each.

I have only done small projects in leather. On something like this, how do you figure how many hides to buy? Do you take the fabric yardage and convert to sq. ft. of leather then figure how many sq. ft of leather each hide has? Do you have a leather supplier take your fabric yardage and let them convert to the number of hides?

I'm working on two antique chairs where the back panels are leather. The ID needed to give her leather supplier the piece sizes so they could make sure they gave me the right sizes of leather. They had an 18 sq. ft. minimum. (Her leather supplier is very high end which is why I won't be going to them for my leather.)

Any leather suppliers that you can recommend?

Thank you,

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

The standard conversion formula is one fabric yard equals 18 sq. ft. of leather.

So the average large hide is roughly equivalent to 3 yards.

With most suppliers, you tell them how many sq. ft. you need, and they will pick out some hides that closest fit your needs. Example: If you told them 220 sq. ft. they would first try to find four 55 sq. ft. hides. But in the (likely) event that isn't available, they would find some combination of 4 1/2 hides totaling just above 220.

I didn't know there were any suppliers that would sell as little as 18 sq. ft. I've always had to buy 1/2 hide minimums.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Leather estimation using hides can get technical.  You almost have to have the size of the hide(s) at the start.  There are factors that have to be worked around, like getting the most
coverage out of the hide and where best to use this part of a hide and that part of a hide.

All this is important with respect to making a profit because leather by the hide is expensive.  As far as I understand we pay as much for leather that is not used as paid for
materials that are used.

Buying by the hide it is important to know what layer is being obtained, of course the
highest quality is top grain and the most expensive.  It will last the longest.

To the question of estimation; again, one needs enough size information about the job to be done and the hide being bought to get the best answer - laying the pattern out on the general size of the hide.

Hopefully, buying as much as you will need, there is some price advantage on quantity.

Who is buying the leather, you or the ID?

There are more parameters involved than I have brought up, I am sure.

Doyle

kodydog

July 31, 2017, 07:19:36 am #3 Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:20:05 am by kodydog
Most customers who call and ask for an estimate in leather faint when they see the hide price.

But when working with a designer, clients seem to accept the price more easily.  

One supplier of leather use to frequent this site. He buys quality close outs from factories. His prices are reasonable.

http://www.silverstonefabrics.com/category_s/1896.htm

Also, Roes and I created this page on our web site to explain the difference between leather furniture at a discount furniture store and higher quality leather furniture. It also explains what to look for in high quality leather hides.
http://northfloridachair.com/Leather.html
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Kiss.
18 aww to a yard. 50 aww, in hide and round up to the next hide. If they want it they will pay for it. I figure 500 per hide retail. Good leather but not the best.
Standard labor + 10%.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

There are also different grades of leather - a good supplier should be able to explain that to you.

gene

Thank you for the replies. That was very helpful.

https://www.edelmanleather.com/ My ID said they have an 18 sq ft minimum on the leather we are using for two antique chairs. I do not know for sure if they have an 18 sq ft minimum on all leather or just this particular leather.

What do you think of faux leathers? My impression is that the better quality ones last longer than leather, keep their color longer, are more supple, you don't have to add moisturizers, and are an overall better product. My thinking is that the only reason to get leather is because you want leather.

Faux leather with a spray can of leather smell is less expensive and lasts longer and most people will never know the difference. Yes?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

Unless you have a customer that really appreciates real leather, I'd agree with you there.

MinUph

Wow,
  There s nothing like genuine leather. The hand, the smell it is all real. Quality leather doesn't need moisturizers. It is when you get to the lower quality leather that it needs maintenance. Good leather is very expensive mind you but it will last a couple of lifetimes. There is no vinyl that can compare to genuine leather in the long run. There are some very nice vinyls but they are still vinyl.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

I price genuine leather jobs all the time. Never get 'em.

I've done a couple small leather jobs 2 hides or less in the last 10 years.
I've done exactly ONE all leather sofa in 40 years.
When presented with the price options, my customers choose vinyl over leather 999 times out of 1000.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

I wouldn't say we do every job I price in Leather. By no means. But we do a few a year. We did a large LPB sofa in a gator stamped leather a month or so ago.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website