Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 11:33:59 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

stripe fabric on a boxed cushion cover

Started by gene, June 08, 2017, 03:17:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I got a chair in that has a loose boxed seat cushion. Stripe fabric.

The stripes were lined up very well on the front of the cushion cover.

The zipper panel had the stripes running horizontal.

There was no need to match the two fabric pieces of the zipper panel because the stripes were horizontal.

I found this to be much better looking than upholsterers who have the two fabric pieces of the zipper not match up at all, and even if they are matched up then to not match the zipper with the stripes on the top and bottom panels.

Running stripes horizontal on the zipper panel looked OK. It's not as neat as matching all the stripes, but it is less work.

Does anyone else do this with striped fabrics?

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Rich

Isn't the zipper panel hidden? On most of the cushions I've seen, they are in the back and not seen, so I don't think it makes any difference.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

MinUph

I think Gene just likes the neatness of the stripes running horizontally instead of mismatched. Many things don't really matter but some like it the nicest way they can make it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

When I see the stripes run horizontally on a zipper panel, I always think that they were probably running short on fabric and had to use some narrow strips up the roll.

I do match my 2 zipper panels, but I don't lose any sleep when the stripes on my zipper panel don't match the top plate. But some people beat themselves up on stuff like that.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I like to match them, it does look neater even though on most chairs you never see it.

I also spend time to apply the cambric dust cover neatly. I once had a supervisor who was a stickler for making sure to cover all the staples that hold the 1/2" cardboard strip on. I also worked for a place that used all black staples on the cambric. Another place who insisted on replacing the cambric even though the old cambric was perfectly good. Everybody has their own pet peeves.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

SteveA

Matching is an art.  I look at upholstered chairs that have a small repeat and wonder why fabric isn't made symmetrical for the purpose of artistic merit. 
Wing chairs with  lefts and rights facings, a cushion, decking, and maybe a skirt - I'd need 30 yards of fabric for a wing chair and 2 months to do it.
The folks here who have mastered this trade just go to work as though it is common place - customers just don't appreciate all that goes into pattern matching
SA   

Darren Henry

Quotethey are in the back and not seen, so I don't think it makes any difference.

For most people , you're right. And then you get the customer who has "done some sewing" or watched too many you tube videos etc...

we had one customer this spring who was completely anal. She expected the sofa to be self decked all though nothing was ever said about that, so when it should up and the deck was another fabric she had a fit. and then the stitching on the zippers was sub standard etc...Her argument was that she saw these "flaws" every time she vacuumed her couch and it was not professional looking.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

sofadoc

Quote from: Darren Henry on June 10, 2017, 07:04:55 am
Her argument was that she saw these "flaws" every time she vacuumed her couch and it was not professional looking.
I had one once that complained that there was more exposed leg beneath the skirt on one end than on the other end.

She said that it just made her sick every time she walked by it. She also said that the first night, she couldn't even sleep. She just sat up all night staring at it.

When I got to her house, I quickly discovered there was a hard lump under her carpet right where that sofa leg sat that prevented the leg from sinking into the carpet as much as the leg on the other end.

Also had one that dropped her chair off to be recovered. As she was leaving, she noticed a loose thread glistening in the sunlight. She turned around, walked back over to her chair, bent over it and bit the loose thread off with her teeth. Her friend asked her why she did that since it was going to be recovered anyway. She replied "Yeah, I know. But I wouldn't sleep tonight thinking about that loose thread".

I immediately refunded her deposit and told her to take it somewhere else.

Quote from: Darren Henry on June 10, 2017, 07:04:55 am
we had one customer this spring who was completely anal.
It's probably only about 1% of the people that are that anal, but I have absolute zero % patience for them.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

SteveA

One came into my buddies upholstery's  shop and was asked to be there for the estimate.  I had to make the legs black lacquer.  I listened and thought I would have asked her to leave but I had to be polite.  First they wanted back rest cushions that tapered, were firm yet fluffy, and were foam with feather pockets w/feathers on the sides - ......say what lady ?  Then they wanted the legs flat black but smooth - too smooth I use steel wool but it makes the black a tinge gray - she didn't want that.  I said I won't rub them and she said but they have to be very smooth ..... say what lady ?
Seat cushions had to be reversible with snaps but one was a T cushion ...... say what lady ?   Then she wanted the fabric top stitched but wanted to see several samples of matching thread against the fabric.  My buddy said he only had one color in stock but it will match - she asked if he was placing an order for different colors shortly..... say what lady ?   After an hour I cut out - the sofa is still sitting on end and she has not given the go ahead - it's been over a month.  I think he will cancel this job because it's just not worth the trouble. 
SA

kodydog

Quote from: SteveA on June 10, 2017, 11:02:46 am
firm yet fluffy,

That cracks me up. When I was working in manufacturing, sooo many moons ago. There was one guy who every once in a while liked to yell out, "pull it tight but leave it loose." This was in reference to what management told us.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Rich

Three observations:
One, You have to come to know your customers and please the majority, which leads me to number two, you can't please everyone and
three, those who are hardest to please generally don't want to pay for the extra effort.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

gene

Thank for the replies. I hadn't seen stripes run horizontally on zipper panels before and I wanted to keep it in my ditty bag in case I could use some time. I also wanted to know if it was verboten for some reason in the upholstery industry.

I work mostly with IDs and I want the homeowner to be as happy as they can be. Most IDs like for everything to look great.

It's kind of like a carpenter who is building kitchen cabinets. He may not stain the back of the cabinets that are going to be attached to the wall. Some do, though. They want everything to look great. If you are building $1500 cabinets you may not stain the unseen parts. If you are building $30,000 cabinets you may stain those parts without thinking.

For me, if a customer provides $8 per yard fabric they got out of a bin, they are not as discriminating as someone who paid $150 per yard for fabric that was shipped from France. However, I'm like sofAd, I match everything up out of habit.

Thanks again for the replies.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!