Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 16, 2024, 08:57:04 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

New constructed shop table

Started by christwo, July 18, 2011, 06:51:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

Mind you these pictures are horrible, via a horrible capture source. However, you can get this gist of it. I used 5 commercial doors, and about 30 8ft 2x4's. Not quite done, still have some finished touches, but its coming together. Minus the cut out for the table, it measures 16'x8' with a 2' space between it and the wall all the way around to walk around.

JuneC

Nice table!!!   ;D  But seriously, do you sit on that bench?   ???  Good grief.  Now that's a sore arse waiting to happen....  One of the best things I ever bought (actually my daughter bought it for me at Staples) was an armless desk chair.  Thick padding.  Air lift.  REALLY comfortable.  I love that chair.  Do yourself a favor and pad that thing and add a low back with some lumbar support. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

christwo

Haha, yeah actually I have my desk in my shop as well with a real nice leather chair, but its kind of over kill to sew with. I plan on making a pad for that little bench that replicates a bench seat kind of. One thing at a time! But you are right, it does take its toll after a while, I just like the height of it.

Mojo

Dang........... I have a fat arse with a lot of padding and even that bench makes me cringe. :)

Your shop is coming together nicely. Old doors ??? Never heard of that before but if it works, go for it. :)

My work table is half the size of yours. I get by with it but it isn't easy when doing large awnings..........:)

Chris

kodydog

Looks Great Chris 2. Only one thing missing, wheres all the clutter? Way to neat :) A lot of good space under for storage.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Mike8560

Ya I used to have a nice dest chair from staples mesh bottom and back airlift cerry cool and comfortable. 
Perfect hight. Trouble is I get thread scraps off the floor that wind arount the casters and forse the plastic casters off there axles and the wheels fall off most of the caster ended up breaking off also ok diet time ;)
and the chor was tossed with the old shop. Now I'm useng my nice desk chair it's awful no back support it lays back too much.   My new set up here is small the room is narrow and I don't have 2 feet between the wall and machine table to get by   
Me I do t see the need to have. Table behind where I sit  I line  the edge of my table up with the needle behind. Me and more to the right of it behnd the machine after I sew somthing so it dosent fall off

I'll have to get s lic but my shop is not completejust. Insulated walls I think I will out up pegboard so I can have peg anywhere I want to hang stuff and not have o tape and paint?

christwo

Yeah thats kind of the next phase, pegboard. I as well plan on getting a bunch of that stuff put up. Also I still have a little section of table to add where i sit that i want to line up with the needle, I just got impatient and took pictures as is! I wish you all could have seen this shop before it is what it is now. I have put so much work into it. The 2 foot walk space was because, the last shop i worked at the table went to the wall and when cutting alot of patterns or big pieces it was such a pain to get up on the table to mark both sides lol. I also made sure that there is 60" between the end of the table and the end of the machine so that a roll of fabric can pass by it and utilize the whole table. This shop was originally a canning room for storing jars of food ha. Ive put like 4 layers of white paint on the walls, painted the slab a few times, sealed it all. The worst part of this place, was that out front there was no proper run off for water when it rained, so my front porch slab would just fill up with mud and water and it would get into the shop! I spent days grading it and adding rock and cement to fix it all. Bit by bit shes coming along. Thanks for all input!

christwo

And actually, the best part of this table is, I got those 5 commercial doors for 25 bucks! Was going to do plywood with formica on top, but the stuff is SO expensive! These doors actually have 2 pieces of formica sandwiched on some foam and carboard. If nothing else, I figured I would just strip them of their shell's later on ha. I put plenty of bracing and support for them to sit on so as it wouldn't ever be a problem lol.

Mike8560

I had a shop up
n NH that was small and the table I had right against the wall then indodnt dompattern so no nifty threre. But now. I do nice thing up on the wall a large cover dosent fall off the side

christwo

Mike8560

Herr my current table set up at my shop at home  16'x5 with wings behind thebmachine tonnot have the fabric fall. I e got to work on the walls just insulated now
I've just got room to pass between the right of the machine and the walls
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy102/Mike8560/42dd2288.jpg