Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 03, 2024, 09:35:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Safety reminder

Started by gene, February 16, 2015, 04:19:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

I wear glasses with safety lenses.

Today I was using a pneumatic brad nailer. It has a safety mechanism where you have to have the end of the nailer pushed against the wood in order for it to fire.

A nail bounced off (out of???) the wood and hit my forehead, point first.

I have no idea why that nail did what it did.

I do know that if I was not wearing glasses and that nail had hit 1" lower, Haywood would be singing about me.

Keep it safe out there, folks.

Gene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3H-I-y2NcA

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Back in my early 20's, I went to work at Texas Instruments. Upholstery was my "Day job". TI was my "night job".

I worked there for over 4 years. I received many merit raises that my co-workers DIDN'T receive. So I assume that the bosses liked my work.

But we butted heads over one thing........safety glasses. I absolutely HATED wearing them.
I eventually quit TI because my boss, who had tolerated my disobedience regarding safety glasses up until that point told me that he could no longer look the other way.

Since TI wasn't my main gig anyway, I quit. Having something resting on the bridge of my nose drove me bonkers.

Of course, I have since learned to endure glasses out of necessity (to see clearly).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

With workers' comp fees and liability issues today, I can't imagine a company allowing a worker to violate safety rules today. Because it's such a big cost to companies, I think even unions are on the band wagon and being in a union will not protect you from being fired for safety regulations today.

The last big company I worked for had several employees trained in dealing with injuries that resulted in bleeding. We all signed a paper that stated that if we took action to help someone who was bleeding, instead of getting one of the specially trained employees, we were releasing the company from any liability resulting in diseases or worse that might befall us from blood born pathogens. Nice, huh?

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

bobbin

My personal favorite is hearing protection, a lot of people overlook its use.  I always use safety glasses when using my stapler or chemicals for stripping old paint (respirator, too!).  But, whenever I use my foam saw, the lawn mower, any loud power tool I don the hearing protection.  Former Boss always looked at me as though I was nuts and took my use of my personally owned hearing protection as a judgement on the shop's equipment (it was).  NO safety equipment was available in the shop so I provided my own. 

baileyuph

EdwardJK22

The best is reading safety, many men and women overlook it is make use of. I make use of security eyeglasses whenever using my personal stapler as well as chemical compounds intended for burning outdated fresh paint (respirator, also! ). But, when I exploit my personal froth discovered, the actual grass mower, any high in volume power tool I wear the actual reading safety. Past Employer generally viewed us as if I seemed to be nuts in addition to needed my personal utilization of my personal professionally held reading safety to be a objective viewpoint about the shop's equipment (it was). SIMPLY NO security equipment seemed to be for sale in the actual go shopping therefore i furnished my own.
NoorAlamShahzad

lizzieb

I absolutely loved that song! Thanks for the reminder.