Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:55:03 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Servo motor 101 questions..

Started by Corjen1, March 23, 2016, 02:36:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Corjen1

Hey all, can you give me a servo motor 101 understanding??? I read that they are way better than clutch motors.. but I dont know exactly why? what is the benefit, how is it that the are so much better? what are the return on investment pro's?

My conclusions from reading are better control essentially, but why invest in this in lue of other methods...Im am new to the industrial machines, I have a Juki 562 that I love. I did do some mods to id inorder to slow it down ( No way can I stitch at the speeds it could run... ( smaller drive pulley, 1 5/8th " and a 7" pulley on the machine.  extended the arm on the clutch engagement arm to the left side of the pedal (approx 10 inches)

Now the machine is very controllable, easy to feather the speed... single stitch at a time...

How would a servo motor improve my machine now?

sofadoc

If you are happy with your clutch motor, there's really no reason to run out and buy a servo.
But if your clutch motor ever craps out, that would be the time to replace it with a servo.

A servo is quieter, easier to control, and consumes less energy.

But if you've already got your speed under control, spend your money elsewhere.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

March 23, 2016, 04:48:02 pm #2 Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:48:28 pm by gene
Wow! She's a beauty. I have a Juki LU 562 also, which by the way, has a smaller bobbin than the Juki LU 563.

I've gotten very good at controlling the speed on my clutch motor. I can sew thin fabric slowly and heavy fabrics fast and furious. And everything in between.

I have made a note from SofaDs previous posts, as well as others, that when my clutch motor clutches it's chest and gives one last heave, I will buy a servo.

Be sure to check with someone who sells industrial sewing machines to make sure you get a servo that is powerful enough for your sewing machine.

And welcome to the world of industrial sewing machines, Corgen1. Someone not too long ago posted a picture of a needle sticking through their finger.  ;D

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

MinUph

As said already. If you are comfortable with your clutch motor just keep running it till it does. No telling how long these servos will actually live. I have two machines right now, both with servo motors because that is what they came with. I do like them. Especially when a new machine is placed under foot. It is nice to turn the knob and get use to it for awhile before turning it up. If you don't know this. Servos only run when you put your foot on the gas. They don't spin like clutch motors. So you can turn it on all day and not hear it unless your sewing. And no electricity is used while it sits there except the light.
  So if I were to buy another machine it wouldn't really matter to me if it had one or the other as long as it sewed well.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Bob T

A servo motor will eliminate the vibration and noises sometime found with clutch motors.  Also, with a servo, you easily modulate the speed as it operates very much like a variable speed drill or something similar.  The farther you push the pedal down, the faster it goes.  I've had servos since 2001 and would never go back.

scottymc

I had a short go of a servo for the first time, be quite honest from the perspective that I just sat down and sewed I could not tell the difference, I can control the speed on a clutch motor just as well , if I was buying a new machine I would get one, but I'd not spend money to replace a perfectly good clutch motor.

Corjen1

Thanks all for the feedback. much appreciated. I wasnt planning to go pull the clutch motor off, but more curious as to the benefits.