Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 10:01:33 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Quick Question on wood work

Started by baileyuph, February 13, 2016, 06:01:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Do you find a use for pneumatic brad nailers and construction staplers (for example U-shaped - with length ranging from less than an inch to perhaps three inch?

Those I use in making repairs and replacements to boat seats - along with professional glues of course.  They add speed which is time and that is money.  The results do hold up well, had a lot of good customer feedback on that type of work.

This equipment has selected use like that but on most furniture repairs screws/glue are hard to beat when it is repair work.  The yield is superior to current factory material and work.

Doyle

MinUph

I find my staplers 1/4" x 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2", work well for things like cornices and ottomans and the like. Good glue and staples hold well. But frame work on a chair or sofa is still best done with screws.
  I have to say factory work with staples would work much better if the staples actually found both pieces of wood. Problem is, air tools make people go to fast and miss the mark 50% of the time.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

Yes Paul, and spring clips. Can't tell you how many times I've been called on a six month old sofa with a popped spring. Upon inspection only half the staple was engaged in the clip causing the spring to rip the clip completely away from the wood.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

byhammerandhand

I have a brad nailer and don't use it much on repairs.   Those brads just don't hold much.  Screw and glue is my modus operandi.    I have used it to nail right through some fabrics to hold things in place underneath them (roll edging, e.g.) when It's slipped out of position.

I also have a 1/4" narrow crown stapler.   The most often use for that is to staple plywood panels on the back of cabinetry and to attach webbing to the frame (other than upholstery tacks, and regular upholstery staples just don't hold there <- news to Chinese)  Lengths I use are 5/8, 7/8, and 1 1/2"
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

I use frame staple guns to make repairs to all the cheap furniture. Like Paul says, most of the time it's just a matter of NOT missing the wood on the other side.  I also do the "screw-n-glue" when necessary.

Funny thing. Factory workers seem to think they can make up for a lack of quality simply by increasing quantity. If the first frame staple completely misses, they shoot 7 or 8 more in the same place.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

February 15, 2016, 04:53:51 pm #5 Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:54:45 pm by byhammerandhand
Boy, wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen that.  Or anytime 4 of 9 miss.

Quote from: sofadoc on February 15, 2016, 01:17:08 pm
Funny thing. Factory workers seem to think they can make up for a lack of quality simply by increasing quantity. If the first frame staple completely misses, they shoot 7 or 8 more in the same place.
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

kodydog

Quote from: sofadoc on February 15, 2016, 01:17:08 pm

Funny thing is two properly shot staples will take less time than 7 or 8 missed staples.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html