Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 09:51:23 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Marine Upholstery, profitable?

Started by christwo, May 29, 2011, 06:56:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

christwo

i just moved to tennessee from oregon, and i am surrounded by marinas, rivers, and boats. i did upholstery in oregon for a couple years and had the idea to do marine upholstery in the area, specifically isenglass replacement. i would like some input on what others think of the idea and if it is a plausable profit window, also ideas on how to go about advertisement and bidding jobs, thanks!

seamsperfect

May 30, 2011, 08:58:51 am #1 Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:36:17 am by seamsperfect
A number of good Marine Gurus on here, I am sure you will get some good feedback after the holidays.
Kevin

baileyuph

It is like most business, the longer you are in it, the more experience you get will help.  But, if you are starting out, again like any business, success might not be instant.  Check out the local business in that area and ask the same questions would also give you an understanding of what to expect.

Some start by working for someone else, less risk if you can get hooked up that way.  It can be a very seasonal type of work, especially for a startup person.

Keep pursuing if this is your passion.

Doyle

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

I don't know a boat canvas guy yet who is not turning away work in the NY/NJ/DE/MD area.

kodydog

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Jim101

If you can't find a job working in someone's canvas loft to get experience start out doing some repairs on marine canvas.  Just being around marine canvas will get your mind working on how it's constructed and how you can maybe make it better.

Sails can be tricky but if you have a decent zig-zag machine and some good thread you could make a few repairs there too.  Pick up a sewing palm too!  You'll need it!

You'll get your name out there and eventually you can take a try at patterning and stitching a cover together.

Sailrite, Smart Flix, http://smartflix.com/,  and others have videos on "How to" marine canvas stuff. 

This is a cool website too--> http://marinefabricatormag.com/

Good luck!

Jim

bobbin

I agree with Jim.  There is nothing like repair work to teach you the ropes of marine canvas.  The ability to diagnose the problem and fix it quickly and neatly gives you a whole new insight into proper marine canvas construction techniques. 

I personally love doing repair work (except that it's frequently very dirty work) because it requires creativity and thought to do a good job.  And, unless you're a total fool and screw it up completely the customers are generally pretty easy to please. 

sofadoc

Same for the furniture end. Repair jobs are quick, easy money. And even if you can't restore it to "like new" condition, the customer is usually happy with any fix you can provide.
But, is marine upholstery profitable? I think it depends greatly on region.
If you're pretty far inland, with only a few man-made lakes scattered hither and yon, the customer's budget is generally low. Then you have to compete with Wal-Mart for boat seat business.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

Ido t k kw your area but I'd gueese there's allot of small lake boats that would need seat upholstery c boat covers and tops  what the pay I. Your neck if the woods Is I don't know star by dropiing in your loach boat sales a d repair shops and introduce yourself

Miami Mike

Sounds like your in the Knoxville area or Memphis. If you need some shops to check out let me know, not sure if they need help or not. or if you are going to jump in.
WeatherMax 80 WeatherMax FR WeatherMax LT Recacril Design Line Recacril Stripes Outdura Outdura Stripes Outdura Weblon Regatta, Holiday Top Notch Top Notch Elite Top Gun Vista Odyssey III Softouch Strata Glass Crystal Clear OSea Glass Regalite Glass Sattler Nautimar Soluna

christwo

great info, im actually in the somehat jackson area, thats the nearrest largest city to me, im actually in bath springs, near savannah and lexington.. i just moved here from coos bay oregon where i worked in an upholstery shop for the last 3 years, so i have a pretty good amount of experience in marine, and general upholstery.. i pretty much did it all.. and i was the only one in the shop for the last 2 years i was there. further more i have more questions, i just yesterday purchased a juki ddl-555-4 3b, can anybody tell me anything about this machine.. what i was looking to do was pretty much isenglass replacement as well boat upholstery because i have plenty of experience in it and am comfortable doing it.. this machine seems to be fine for it there are just a few things im unsure of, i dont know how to change the stitch length, and.. well.. other than turning it on and using it thats about all i know of it