Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 11:53:29 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Latest project

Started by JDUpholstery, October 03, 2012, 05:02:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gene

October 13, 2012, 02:15:58 pm #15 Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:17:33 pm by gene
Hey, on the waviness in the welt cord on the seat cushion:

I recently did a seat cushion that had a rounded back side. The fabric was a thin, not so tight weave. When you are sewing around a curve, like the front edges of your seat cushion cover, you are sewing waft, warp, and bias. The fabric definitely does not stretch the same in these 3 directions.

What I do, and I first saw this from a guy on youtube, it that I use an office stapler and staple the welt cord, top panel, and boxing together, at least on the curved edges. If I'm going to sew twice, then I'll staple the welt cord to the top panel, sew, and then sew on the boxing.

And like sofaD said, make a lot of snips in the welt cord.

I finished a similar seat cushion yesterday that had the front edges curved like yours, and has the back of the cushion curved. It was for a barrel back chair. The fabric was very thick, tightly woven, and had a backing on it. I did not need to use an office stapler. I was able to sew the top panel, welt cord, and boxing with one stitch.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

JDUpholstery

ok think I got the buttons realigned, and fixed that spot on the cushion...now it just needs a skirt and I think I am done....

JDUpholstery

Think I am done...heres a finished pic

then a side by side before and after...I think I like mine better...but I may be biased

JDUpholstery

When I started this job, I figured do the chair first...it looked harder....man was I wrong! Anyhow I still need to skirt it, and I am going to take apart cushions and cut another 1/2" off to tighten it up a little more, but here is the couch so far

sometimes wonder if I am just stupid or crazy taking this on with zero experience, but with enough pulling of staples and redoing it eventually ends up looking pretty good

gene

October 24, 2012, 01:58:31 pm #19 Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:00:31 pm by gene
I was told that there is a 10 year apprenticeship to learning furniture upholstery. I think I got mine done in 4 years by doing many, many long days and 6 or 7 days a week.

It takes practice. There are no short cuts.

And I don't think you are crazy for testing your limits and striving to learn new things.

The staple puller and stitch remover will become your closest friends. Learn to appreciate them and not resent them.   :)

gene

JDUpholstery

wish there were someone around here to apprentice with....at the moment I learn from reading and watching youtube videos...and try, try again lol...I take it apart more than I put together, but I wont stop til I am happy with it

needles eye

from the I Ching:
"to achieve one must heap up small things"

JDUpholstery

Just about done with the couch and loveseat, need to do the skirt....any opinions on it are welcome, good or bad, but I think I have it looking pretty decent

Couch:

Love Seat:

needles eye

looking rather fab good buddy

trust that you have lotsa fun with your skirt measurements / alignment
hey, incidentally have you encountered this bloke before - he rocks:

http://www.eisenbergupholstery.com/Boxed_welted_cushion.html

gene

Hey needle, I mentioned this guy earlier on this thread and couldn't remember his name. I just came across his video where he staples his boxed cushion.

I went to put it on this thread and you posted the same guy. (I lost all my bookmarks when my computer went in for repairs earlier this year.

Here the link to the vid where he does the stapling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qOl-PR3SOw&feature=relmfu

Starts around 7:30.

gene

JDUpholstery

out of the shop and into the customers home...heres a pic of the furniture in the room where it was made for...the customer was happy, so I am happy...she even gave me a tip on top of what she owed, which feels really good and let me know they were happy (unhappy customers that want to avoid confrontation would never tip)

Thanks you all for the support and guidance with this project...I guess if your going to pick a first time project..go big or go home!...the furniture was a tougher design and the patterns were harder to work with, so I should have less problems with the next one

kodydog

That's great JD. Its always a relief to get a big job like that delivered to a happy costumer.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

baileyuph

It has to be a great feeling JD.  When I do a very good job like that, usually it will bring another, especially when I bid it too cheap.   ;)

The gratification of accomlishment of something new and that big has to be unreal.

Doyle