Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 07:29:14 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

synthetic burlap

Started by 65Buick, September 07, 2017, 11:10:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

65Buick

Here, the inside/outside back and bottom of seat was lined with what I think is synthetic burlap. I asked my supplier and they do not carry such a thing. I would have to order it online.
Besides the color, it appears the be woven polypropylene, which is the same material used to line the edges of fields for vegetables. It is also used around construction sites.

why did they do this? cheap, I guess. probably cheaper and faster than red-line webbing.

Both the inside back and the seat use coil springs. quality. So any input of what I should use here is welcome.

http://gdurl.com/t7EB

Mojo

I cannot help you with the burlap but your post reminded me when we had the farm. I used to go down to the local elevator and get sacks of feed for some of our livestock. It always came in those burlap bags back then.

They later went to the Polypropylene bags. I always liked the burlap bags but they did seep dust out of them every time you went to move them. Farmers used the bags for all kinds of things. I can remember one guy using them as curtains in his shed.

Mojo

sofadoc

You can order real or synthetic burlap here:

http://www.albanyfoam.com/images/AFS_catalog_LR_23.pdf

Or you can just use some leftover fabric from another job.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

65Buick

I've seen in videos guys using scrap fabric. But I don't know the tensile strength of that, versus synthetic burlap or regular. Now being designed for upholstery the manufacturers know how strong it needs to be.
Often I see discounted fabrics, polyester usually that are heavyweight and might work. I just can't take that chance. For backs, that shouldn't be a problem.

MinUph

Any non stretchy fabric can be used in place of real or fake burlap. I like burlap for seats because it is easy to stitch through. But you can use most anything on a back.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

kodydog

September 07, 2017, 05:43:53 pm #5 Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:24:37 pm by kodydog
It looks like the synthetic stuff is still in pretty good shape to me. If you're building this for resale, I see a lot of labor in replacing the synthetic burlap and then reattaching the springs. You can rewebb from the back if you think it needs some extra strength. But honestly I see a lot of support in the frame alone. I would be mostly concerned with the foam. What kind of shape is it in?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

Kody,

I started thinking about that too. It does all look to be in very good condition. I haven't been able to take the inside back cover off yet. More than likely that padding will be replaced. I simply won't allow smelly old padding to go out the door.

As for the burlap on the bottom of the seat, perhaps I could reinforce it? It is in good condition.