Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 04:37:36 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Designs for sofas and booth seating

Started by jameslee, May 01, 2015, 08:01:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jameslee

May 01, 2015, 08:01:48 pm Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:02:51 pm by jameslee
My father and I will start doing upholstery work from our garage (he's going to teach me) and I am curious about a couple things having to do with designs.

Where does one find plans for making booths and sofas and custom made furniture? I mean the "blueprints" for lack of a better word (can anyone tell me what the correct term is?).

Is there an industry standard book from where all plans are derived or is it an in-house type undertaking? Can plans be bought? Is there booth, sofa related CAD type software?

-James

sofadoc

This isn't really a "blueprint". But it's a pretty nice "How-to" for building restaurant booths.

http://www.carrscorner.com/booths.php

You can Google "Sofa frame plans" and get a lot of links. But most of them aren't free.

Places like Chervan sell the frame kits ready to assemble.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

brmax

Great link, Tips like that just don't get much better.

Thank you

byhammerandhand

Here's another one, though this guy if more of a woodworker than upholsterer (I know him from his woodworking articles) http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/build-a-breakfast-booth-video-series-intro.aspx
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

wizzard

there is a standard in interior design with seating. seat height, depth and some other factors - Interior Design Standards
Easiest way: search google for commercial restaurant booths, there is a myriad of designs out there with detail drawing.
That should keep you going for a while. Just for your info, that field is very competitive and it will be hard to compete efficiently against some of the big manufacturers. I had more success in re-upholstering this booths than producing them.

jameslee

May 07, 2015, 10:03:30 am #5 Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:04:34 am by jameslee
Thank you everyone for your links and for your help.

Like wizzard mentioned, we plan to focus primarily on reupholstering.

Darren Henry

Quotewe plan to focus primarily on reupholstering.

I'm sure you already had planned to make templates for your regulars so that you can have the skins pre-sewn before you pick up the seats as they always want them back by lunch service. Another real time saver is if you can sell them a couple of "spares". I've had a couple of clients do that and works well. They can swap out a seat or two and still use that booth while the damaged seats are in my shop and then trade them for the next 2-4 etc...
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!