Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 01:57:06 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Buying supplies

Started by CW, April 16, 2015, 11:05:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CW

I am gathering supplies in preparation of upholstering 2 antique chairs. There are a multitude of places to buy the needed items, but wondered what are your favorite companies that you use.
"Yard by yard, life is hard. Inch by inch, it's a cinch." ~Unknown

brmax

Some items you might find interesting can be obtained from the site administrator company above if ya hit the home button, and also the suppliers page to the above right.
Them area few places,  though it seems some of the Pros on here have route sales people stopping in there biz or accounts that have sent them some sample books that I suppose are tough to get.
As you mention the net has many places and sometimes the key is your area access to products needed, many are specific to items ie Toledo Ind. sew machine, Keystone sew machine, Miami corp. canvas auto etc., Rochford supply canvas auto, DLT upholstery supply, I save many in favorites for one thing and sometimes re finding them is a pain. good luck
I am starting to work with canvas and should let others give direction with furniture and materials.
Enjoy looking around and ask away, seems one week its busier than heck and few on here and the next look out everybody chit chatting.

CW

Thank you brmax. I thought about sample books, but figured that they would come in time. If they are tough to get, maybe I should be trying to get them now. Do I call companies and ask? Are they free or do they cost money?

brmax

Yes I think that's a great idea, I think more importantly is listening to some of the others and or searching some fabric/materials that your interested in at the time, so weaves and design styles.

I have seen different size books of upholstery fabrics, I was at one time a teenage grunt for moving the furniture of clients, at the time of pick up some times many many books were picked up from clients looking through them " boss would say yep loadem up they decided on the material from the original book in the shop" I didn't care I was waiting for the weekend, baseball and water skiing.

But anyway I have called places for some canvas type samples and had some luck, as mentioned there are different sizes, so yes the big 1' square ones Im sure are tough, makes my arms hurt.

sofadoc

Back in the day, you could just throw up a sign that says you're an upholsterer and a fabric salesman would crawl out from under every rock and give you free sample books.

Those days are gone now. They aren't so free and easy with sample books anymore. Places like Greenhouse Fabrics will probably require a $200 deposit for books that will be refunded after your first $1000 worth of orders. Other fabric suppliers have similar policies.

Personally, I prefer buying the bulk of my upholstery supplies from a regional supplier that calls on me periodically. I don't think it makes much sense to have supplies shipped in from all over the map.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Yeah, what Doc said! Up here it's pretty common to get fully coupon-ed books (i.e  buy the book for $200 and it comes with 2-$100 coupons towards your first purchases) . After you establish a history with the supplier they start dolling out the free sample cards etc.. to add to them. We have to be a registered business with tax #'s (federal and provincial) to qualify.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

CW

I think if the company and the fabrics are great, it would be worth forking out the initial $200. I've seen a few good companies, but nothing locally. We're a bit out of the way.

wizzard

QuoteThose days are gone now. They aren't so free and easy with sample books anymore. Places like Greenhouse Fabrics will probably require a $200 deposit for books that will be refunded after your first $1000 worth of orders. Other fabric suppliers have similar policies.

personally i just refuse to pay for sample books, there are plenty of fabric houses out there were the sample books are free.
Greenhouse tried the same story on me, I just refused and some of their fabrics have a higher wholesale price than the competition. Which means more money in my pocket.
Best thing is to hook up with some of the independent fabric reps, where sample books are free and prices are good.
Years ago I had lot's of sample books, did I sell more - no. Today I have just a handful of suppliers and they tread me nice and because I sell more fabric, I'm also a bigger fish.

Mojo

I am not going to be much help in regards to suppliers. We are an awning company and sole source everything through Miami Corp. Probably one of the best marine supply companies in the country with warehouses in numerous locations ( Texas, FL, NY and OH ).  In regards to furniture work then one of the other guys would be better at giving you advice on supplies.

I will say this, be sure and shop around for the best price and service. Pricing can vary from supplier to supplier and sometimes prices can vary with the same supplier based on your volume. You also need to watch the shipping costs. I used to be a Rochford customer till they started gouging me on shipping costs. They gave me great pricing on materials but then made it up on the backside through shipping. I walked and never looked back. 

It can be real tough at the start getting good customer service through some of these suppliers till you establish a history with them. When your small some do not want to give you the time of day.
Hang tough and keep pushing.

Chris

Virgs Sew n Sew

I use National Fabric out of Kansas City KS.  When I first started, the gentleman I purchased my upholstery machine from gave me their name/phone number.  I got this huge box from them with 5 different books as well as some poster board samples (to put up on my walls).  They are a great source, very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Virginia

CW

Quote from: Virgs Sew n Sew on April 17, 2015, 05:10:44 am
I use National Fabric out of Kansas City KS.  When I first started, the gentleman I purchased my upholstery machine from gave me their name/phone number.  I got this huge box from them with 5 different books as well as some poster board samples (to put up on my walls).  They are a great source, very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Thanks, Virginia, they sound like a great place to start.

chrisberry12

Visit a local upholsterer, they will sell you supplies and work something out with the fabric, most of us are friendly and even give you some advice

sofadoc

Quote from: chrisberry12 on April 26, 2015, 09:57:19 am
Visit a local upholsterer, they will sell you supplies and work something out with the fabric, most of us are friendly and even give you some advice
Technically, this is true. I've sold supplies to many DIYers. I've even given free "how-to" advice. BUT when they start coming back again and again with a whole laundry list of supplies they want to buy, I have to draw the line and suggest they try to open an account with a wholesale supplier. Either that, or I will have to charge full retail PLUS shipping costs for depleting my own stock.

I agree. Most shops are friendly and helpful. But don't "go to the well" too often.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Darren Henry

Chris is right in that for one job like this it may be easier to pay retail and get just what you need instead of the aggravation of getting set up and then having 1200 yds of welt cord (minus the we bit you used) to deal with etc...

I also agree with 'Doc about going to the well too often. I've even sold/traded/loaned things to my competitors and have been in a jam and had to get their help. But; I can count how often in the twenty years I've been at this without taking my socks off.

Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

April 28, 2015, 06:35:53 pm #14 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:56:46 pm by Mike
Quote from: Darren Henry on April 28, 2015, 03:34:05 pm
  twenty years I've been at this without taking my socks off.

must be some nasty socks Darren :)