Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 10:46:50 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

What kind of steamer do you use for foam ?

Started by Therapy, November 18, 2010, 06:50:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Therapy

Hi all been  awhile and im still at it.I went back to just making covers
Dock box. BQ.a/c and everything i can find.Well im runing out of stuff

So im going back to my boat cousin.i want to use my old foam.
Im going to buy A steamer but what kind ?

Thanks  Mike  From Livonia MI. ok NW of DEEEETROIT

Juki 563

fragged8

hiya

I just use a cheap wallpaper stripper.

rich

sofadoc

I have a Jiffy J-2 (1300 watts) I paid over $200 for it.
Wal-Mart has a $50 Conair model (1100 watts) It's all plastic, but is similiar in size and wattage to the professional Jiffy model. I've tried it out. It seems to put out a similair amount of steam to the Jiffy.
Guess it all depends on how much you're going to use it, as to how much you want to spend.
The advantage to the Jiffy is that the heating element and other parts are replaceable. The Conair is a throw-away.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Peppy

I used a cheapo Walmart special. Till the handle broke. Then it would steam your hand more than what you were trying to steam. Good design. Lasted a year I think.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

MinUph

I use a Jiffy 2 also but last week when I turned it on the light lit and then went out. No steam for me. I guess it's time for a new one. 20 yrs isn't bad I guess.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Cheryl

Check with your suppliers Paul...   some of them stock the parts for Jiffy steamers -- or you can order them online...  repair it!!
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

MinUph

Cheryl,
  Can't figure out what is wrong with it. I looked at the parts on jiffy's site.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Did you check to see if you have water in it? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, I'm just asking because I almost threw away a steamer that wouldn't make steam, and guess why not???

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Therapy

Thinks all, i think im going to buy a cheap wallpaper stripper
  for the frist time around

Thanks Mike
Juki 563

mpm32

I was under the impression that steaming the old foam will bring the cushion back to shape enough for you to pattern but that it wouldn't hold that shape and revert back to the un-steamed shape after a little while.

Is this true?  I am going to be reusing my old foam for my boat project and was wondering if I should steam it?  The old foam is in great shape and when the previous owner told me that the boat was never left in the sun or on the water, he must've been telling the truth.

sofadoc

Quote from: mpm32 on November 19, 2010, 06:37:09 am
I was under the impression that steaming the old foam will bring the cushion back to shape enough for you to pattern but that it wouldn't hold that shape and revert back to the un-steamed shape after a little while.
Is this true?

Steaming will restore the smushed edges on foam. And it's great for rejuvenating foam that has been compressed for shipping. But it really won't make old foam like new. I mainly use my steamer for getting wrinkles out of fabrics, and relaxing seams.
Some say that a steamer can shrink fabrics that are too loose. Others say that it can stretch fabrics that are too tight. I don't see how it can do both.
One more thing I learned: Don't get the steam head too close to chenilles! It will leave an impression that will never come out.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

kodydog

I bought a J 3 20 years ago when I was first starting out. Didn't have much money then but turned into a great investment. It really gives a job that little extra tweak. Especially helps the skirts and cushions look real good.   
You need to test your fabric before you use it as some fabrics will stretch (sunbrella is bad for this) and some will run.
MinUph Before you throw that old steamer out check the fuseable link. I've replaced mine several times. On my steamer its a brown wire with a black piece of plastic in the middle. Try bypassing it. Another time the heater element went bad. This is not a hard fix.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

Cheryl

ROFL @ gene!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (takes a real man to  fess up to that.  LOL!!!)

Paul ..  if its broke now.. can't hurt to take it all apart and see what you can find that is burnt up, broken or just plain worn out.  That's what I would try.

Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

MinUph

I did take it apart and there is power to the switch, light, and heating element. I did have water in it also :-)
  It does act like there is no water. When I did use it and it ran out of water it would shut off. Does the same thing now. I turn it on the light comes on for a few seconds and then shuts down just like there is no water. The safety shut off might well be the problem. I will look and see if it is a replaceable part.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

Paul:

Sometimes the heating elements get so covered with minerals from the water that they stop producing enough heat to steam the water. If they are covered in the stuff, try soaking them in one of those "scale away" type products. Someone else on here may know what product works best.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!