Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 08, 2024, 04:38:12 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Wholly kermoley...

Started by JuneC, June 16, 2010, 07:06:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JuneC

June 16, 2010, 07:06:50 pm Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 07:10:04 pm by JuneC
Today had to bid on a full mooring cover for a 310 Sundancer - to the waterline, including arch.   Probably 90 yards of Sunbrella.   Sigh.   I need a vacation.  Gave them an outrageous price - hopefully they'll give it to someone else. Anyone ever done one?

Also have to do a full enclosure on a 23' Proline walkaround including hardware installation.  Now, cause I was booked, got a competitive quote.  Theirs was more than 2 times mine.  What would you ballpark this?  It's a hardtop, about 15' around total.  1 smiley in the front.

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

hdflame

June,

If you get that one, you need to post some video on YouTube!  That's a lot of Sunbrella! :o

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike8560

just the 4 sides June Id ballpark $2500. what did you quote?

I did a big cover on a silverton a coupkle years back the customer wanted it done with a cockpit cover oner the glass then a bow cover down to the rubrail and then   a cover all around , didnt go tot he waterline though just the color pn the hull sides. I think it was 40 feet from pulpet to swim platform
but yes a monster to work with. good thing youvr got a bigger table now hey?

JuneC

I'll tell you in a couple of days - just in case a competitor is watching the group here.  Way too big to cover the whole thing.  It'll have to be in at least 2, maybe 3 pieces. 

If I get it, the larger space will certainly help.  I don't think I could do it in my old shop(living room). 

June

W. C. Fields

Mike8560

BTW were still waiting for the new shop pics June   ;D

fragged8

hiya

one of my first jobs was a 40 ft Sealine winter cover, it turned out really well for a first job.
and considering i did it on a 12ft table..
that was over the radar arch .

I had to split it into 3 parts to make the cover manageable, bow section was one piece up to
the bottom of the screen, the rear was 2 parts split down the centre Fore/aft with a long webbing tape
on the slider so you didnt have to climb on the arch to get the zipper done up :-) like a wetsuit zip.

I made cutouts for all the stanchions as the guy wanted to put the cover on in the water, they took a long
time to do.

bobbin

90 yds.??

You're definitely gettin' into "winter cover" territory.  And makin' them can suck.  Build in plenty of "wiggle room", girlfriend. 

JuneC

Quote from: Mike8560 on June 16, 2010, 07:20:00 pm
just the 4 sides June Id ballpark $2500. what did you quote?

I bid $2200, they bid $5200.  Guess I need to raise my prices. 

No word from the giant cover - I'm kinda hoping they gave it to someone else.  I'm doing a sundeck cover now that's 27 yards and that's quite big enough for me, thank you... 

June

W. C. Fields

Peppy

We did this kahuna winter cover in Odyssey a couple years ago. Made in 2 pieces with a zipper at the arch. Actually patterned half of the front half, installed it, then zipper tricked half of the back half.

It really sucks that you have to make winter covers in the winter. Tape doesn't stick to good to frost.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

fragged8

JuneC

So who are these people (or are they bots) posting "nothing" messages just to get their tag line links out there?  Most annoying. 

June

W. C. Fields

fragged8

I think youre right June, they seem to be getting more frequent.

Hdflame must be sleeping at the fire station .. . give him a nudge

Rich

hdflame

Quote from: fragged8 on June 23, 2010, 01:44:05 pm
I think youre right June, they seem to be getting more frequent.

Hdflame must be sleeping at the fire station .. . give him a nudge

Rich

I usually read most of the threads, but sometimes I d on't have time to read some of them.  If you guys come across a spammer, just hit the report to moderator button and either myself or Ken will take care of them.

There does seem to be an increase, but I've got the settings on high, so there's nothing else I can do. ???

Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike8560

Wow 5200
I'd never get that over here June on a 23'. It's like a aluminume Bimini
when I say $480 most don't do it
So didnyounget the job?
Plugging away her aw it slows down. I had a sailboatr call
me out to the boat took probly an hour going everything they want. Then  gave him a price verbally  he said he'd want it in writing I said I'll write you a contract if you want he said he would
like. A few contact I could provide him to talk to so I said I'll look up some names on Monday. And I did. Then yesterday he called he wanted to come tot the shop and  have me write it up  fool I think and he stopes over and went over what hebwqnte again.  But had to go  so I said well I had to go look at a job later near his house sonic stop Id stop over with the contract.  When I got there expect to sign thebdeal and get a deposited I find he just wanted the proposal and was still waiting on another. Bid and it was all depending on cost and time.         
Sailboatwrs  strike again.