Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 07, 2024, 10:53:18 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

The jerk around

Started by Mike8560, June 11, 2010, 05:19:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike8560

So  I told a customer I'd be installing his new can as wensday onhis voice mail. I get no call back I get there wensday and saw one car on the driveway his wifes car. I get most
on and serge car is gone a bit later and nobody made a peep outside. So I got hot and defied to wait I'll Thursday to Finnish thing maybe I'll get a call well no call so Thursday I called the guy a d he said I needs to make a alteration for a antenna I forgot on the top I said ok  I took it back to my shop and got busy with some stuff that showed up figuring g I'd vet a call again no call so thismorning I cal said I'd be over and install the rest and he mentioned somthing about oweong me another third  payment.  Now I ask for a third down and thebballance when done. And reminds him I'll be all
done and and  the ballance would
be due. Ok I get there two cars on the driveway and I start s apping on the last piece and they bolth slip out the front with out as much as a goodmorning.  So I call him saying I'm done and would like to settle up today he said ok but he had to meet someone at his office ( ya rite)
four pm comes and I call him he said he would be working late and would like to check outhebcanvS. And take it all down and out it back up Saturday morning and then settle up
is 10 am ok? Well I've got a apointment at my house at ten it will have to be after that.
Omhe says. I'll just bet somthing comes up to stall me again.  I could rip my hair out.

Peppy

Ooooo that sucks! Next time you go to their house put on of those 'severe tire damage' thingies in front of their wheels!

Sounds like last summer:

Customer-"I need it done by Friday we're going on a trip"
Us-"It'll be tight, we'll bust ass for you"
Finish on Thursday, job looks beautiful
Friday, silence
Call Saturday-"So do you like the job?"
Him-"Oh it's just great, I'm in the middle of the lake I'll be back in three weeks"

something similar happened 3-4 times last year.

Yet some how we have the reputation of being late.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

Cheryl

Take it back to the shop.

When he's ready to pay IN FULL.. Then go install.   Last guy did me like that -- I went and repo-d his seats and top...  4 days before the 4th of July.     Legally its mine till he pays for it...

he paid.
   Laughter does a heart good, like a medicine...  Laugh often.  Cry when you need to...  but Love always.

lruthb

I'm with the take it back and keep it tactic! Although I do have some work that has made it's home in our pole shed. Like Cheryl said it's mine till they pay. The moral of my story is I got the satifaction of no pay no way. I just didn't get fully paid and I get to store it. Thank you for down payments.

Lynn

Eric

I to have repo'd canvas, however I 'm intrested about what most of you do about leaving the customers boat uncovered. I also never get final payment on delivery day, usually 1 to 4 weeks till check shows up, I do get half down to start the job.
Eric

fragged8

hiya

I always send an estimate so A. i get their home address and B. they get the small print which says
I own the canvas till they pay in full and I also have the right to board their vessel to remove it  :D

the small print I use is in the archives somewhere

once they pay the deposit they don't have a leg to stand on ..

baileyuph

Yes, there are woes for the upholsterer as well as other business, I am sure. 

My headaches are the small jobs, usually no materials invoved, that are dropped off but are slow to be picked up.  Those are aggravating, even though major bucks aren't usually involved.

I just wish the customer was in as big a hurry to pick up as they are to "get repaired".   ::)  I had one job that sat there for over a year, .............but one day, someone I didn't even recognize stopped in to pick it up. :o

I had to be reminded of the seat. ;D 

Oh well, take the good with the bad, I wonder often if they would prepay, if I demanded it?  Probably some wouldn't, I can hear it now, "don't you trust me!."

Doyle

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

June 13, 2010, 07:21:17 am #7 Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:25:20 am by Gregg @ Keystone Sewing
I'm a bit surprised that people are not getting a full half up front for customer for unique good and services that are only valuable to the buyer.  If they plan on paying in full at time of completion, then paying half up front should not be much of an issue.  This really is a fair margin of risk on both sides IMO.  Everybody expects to pay for good and services when they are rendered, dentists, lawyers, Walmart, what ever, you name it.  Telling people up front and reminding them of your payment terms along the way can go a long way to avoid a sticky situation.  As well as putting things in writing.  Good old handshakes and making customers your buddy can be good for business, but things can turn ugly fast if you don't protect yourself, and communicate with your customer.  

Everybody today is doing more to protect themselves and be more careful about who they work with.  One of our best suppliers who we have worked with for over 30 years tells me that they now consider a 'good customer' one who simply pays their bills.  They used to used to let us pay on 30 day terms, but would let it slip two, three, four mouths, no issues, but not today.  31 days past due?  We get a call for the money, and a reminder of their terms.  

Overall, we've been very lucky over the years, and have had to get collection agencies after some of these guys on very rare occasions.  It's amazing who these people wind up being, as you would never expect some of the people who burn you.  You just don't see it coming.  

The only thing I can add really is to be careful about checks, both personal and business.  We look at a check as nothing more than a piece of paper, with very little to nothing backing it.  We often wait for the check to clear for new accounts.  There are so many ways a customer can pay these days, with certified check, back transfer, credit card, bank card, PayPal, cash, etc., that they have to understand that they really are putting you at some risk just by issuing a  check, and that they are just going to have to wait a bit.  

hidebound

I have mentioned on the forum that until recently I ran a partime electrical contracting business. I always use a solid contract requiring half down and the balance due upon completion. After finishing the second to last job before I retired from this business, a complete wireing job on a $250,000 new home, I presented the customer with the bill and proceeded to get the jerk around for the next 3 months. I finally had enough and caught up with the guy at his new home and very gently informed him that all the panels circuit breakers wire etc. belonged to me until I was paid and that I would cheerfully come in and take all the material back then he would not be required to pay me another dime. I got a check the next day. Thankfully at least in my area these types are few and far between. After reading the posts here I see that alot of the contracting rules will apply to this business as well. 

sofadoc

There was a time when my regular customers would've been HIGHLY offended if I asked for a deposit. Now, everyone accepts it as a way of life. Most of my customers offer a deposit BEFORE being asked. And thankfully, most customers now realize laying down a deposit doesn't automatically move them  to the front of the line.
Over 35 years ago, an upholsterer in my town closed his shop, and came to work for my mother. What she didn't know was, he had cheated all of his old customers out of their deposits before closing. NOW, our reputation was damaged as well.
One elderly lady, using a walker, walked 3 miles to our shop to demand satisfaction from the man who cheated her. My mother drove her home, and assured her that WE would make it right. It took us a long time to clean up the tarnished image that he brought with him.
We could've just let HIM take responsibility, but it would have created a negative reputation for the trade in general (at least in our town).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mike8560

well i got a check but he held back some. and complained the old turnbuttons were to tall not for our single layer top now fitting on them and wanter more snaps installed . apairently sea rays snaps is not enough. then " got to go ill check it out later  call you so we and settle up" so ive got some of his canvas his check :-*

hdflame

June 16, 2010, 08:55:51 am #11 Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:58:20 am by hdflame
Quote from: Mike8560 on June 16, 2010, 08:51:31 am
well i got a check but he held back some. and complained the old turnbuttons were to tall not for our single layer top now fitting on them and wanter more snaps installed . apairently sea rays snaps is not enough. then " got to go ill check it out later  call you so we and settle up" so ive got some of his canvas his check :-*

I'd hold the canvas till I was paid in full, and HE would have to come to MY shop to pick it up! 8)

Guess he felt he had to find SOMETHING wrong with it to b!tch about, that way he could ask for a better price.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

Mike8560

Ya id like to do that but i hate to be a   #rick . hi real problem was he felt he had to wait to long for me to start his job when it took me about 2 week more then i figured when i signed the job. but really the turn buttons deal is styreaching for it he had ato tops that overlaped covering over a radar arch that fastned with turnbuttons. now we made id so the tops fit to tracks on the arch and also snaped covering the kedar welt and used the old turnbuttons on the corners of the arch now only a sigle top he wanted to change the fastners to new ones even though it would not have been a problem. just somthing for a power play.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Quote from: sofadoc on June 13, 2010, 10:16:10 am
There was a time when my regular customers would've been HIGHLY offended if I asked for a deposit. Now, everyone accepts it as a way of life. Most of my customers offer a deposit BEFORE being asked.

This is old skool.

Back in the day, you could win new business by giving terms on the spot, usually to factories.  But this was a different time, back in the day when there were factories, more on during my Dad's time.  A lot has changed since then.   

Mike8560

here is the finnished product before the waiting game. the fron section that snaps to the window unzipps from the front biminin at the front bow. theres a anchor light fitting at the front center top of the windshield that I have to add two snaps to the window frame that sea ray didnt have but I shoulf have installed Im told. and the turnbuttons I mentioned on the arch. there are also sun cover that cover the camoper windows      but not in the picture. the top looks fine but       he just picked it apart. and  at the last brought up the time frame issue.