Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 09:33:49 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Locker room shower bench question

Started by cthomps, February 19, 2015, 06:38:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomps

I have the opportunity to upholster these shower benches.  Could any of you please tell me what was used to seal the seam?  It has to look nice because the bench is usually folded up and the seem is exposed.  The top is upholstered with what I think is marine vinyl.  Then the underside is covered with vinyl.  The edges are then sealed  with about 1/2" of "something" to keep water from entering.  It is the "something" I am asking about.  LOL  Thanks  hopefully the link works.

"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

kodydog

Some type of waterproof resin is all I can think of.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

sofadoc

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

Mojo

I would use a contractors vinyl with something from the same line as used for medical/dental chairs so as to be microbio/mildew/mold resistant. Pull and then staple using stainless staples and then seal the bottom edges with a good outdoor glue such as a landau glue or better known as a automotive vinyl top glue.

Chris

MinUph

As you see in the image the staples are all rusted. SS staples will solve that issue like Chris said. I wouldn't put vinyl on the bottom it would just seal in any moisture that the tables pickup. Use a breathable product. You can just glue it on with contact cement Landau is the strong type but any solvent based contact cement will do for this. You will never waterproof this.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Darren Henry

QuoteIt has to look nice because the bench is usually folded up and the seem is exposed.

Is the bottom exposed to water from the showers, or just the humidity of a shower room?

I agree with Paul---You will never have it completely sealed (,at least not over the  long haul). If it is strictly aesthetic-- use a breathable bottom and cover the seam with hydem welt as you would a boat seat. Be sure to incorporate air low though the plywood as well. If it is going to be constantly exposed to the shower---provide venting on the back side of the seat (bottom in your picture) and seal the bottom with either HH66 as Dennis mentioned or white marine silicone.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

cthomps

Great ideas everyone.  I do have some marine bottom cloth, that is leftover from a pontoon project. The seat is outside of the shower in the little attached  dressing area. There are only two.  I'm guessing it doesn't get used very much, so when folded up, it needs to look good.  Definitely a spot for SS staples which I have. Hydem is a good idea as well.  I cant have them very long, so I need a plan and supplies in place.  Thanks for the ideas.  I will know more when I pull them apart.  I am also suspect of the condition of the wood. 
"Trying to make a living, one stitch at a time."

Rich

Just a different thought; I know the cost of the waterproof board used instead of plywood for seating in some higher end boats is expensive, but depending on the amount needed, it may be worth considering skipping the labor of wrapping and trying to seal the old boards (not to mention the cost of the SS staples) and replace them entirely with this waterproof stuff. You certainly wouldn't have any call backs for vinyl coming loose.
Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

MinUph

rich's idea is the best. Never thought of that. Replacing the whole thing with starboard. No vinyl just nice clean board.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website