Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 07:42:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Let's talk about creativity (or not)

Started by bobbin, July 02, 2010, 07:41:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PDQ

Quote from: fragged8 on July 06, 2010, 05:49:46 am
hi June

y i found them a while ago, they are the dog's dangly bits   :o

I did sit down one afternoon to try and work out how they made them so good,

The mutts nuts? Nah, that means an element of sag. Now if you said 'pukka', I would agree. ;)

Peppy

Quote from: JuneC on July 04, 2010, 05:57:32 pm
www.iversondesign.com

*sigh*

Makes me feel like I make potato sacks. I think people in my area need to make more money, so they can buy prettier dodgers from me.

*sigh*

(but your link is wrong....http://www.iversonsdesign.com/)
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

bobbin

I haven't made a dodger in 11 years.  And they were fun to make, too!  I miss that part it.  What a great link and what fun to see how creative and precise marine canvas can be!  (needed to see that after a crummy day at work, but now it only underscores what pit and backwater I work in, lol). 

My query about "1099ing me" was met with outright refusal this morning.  What a surprise. 

Time "To get busy livin' or get busy dyin'", I guess.   This in between crap is basically nowhere'sville. 

sofadoc

I looked into the 1099 thing on an employee of mine once, I was told that if I had to supervise the employee as he did his work, then he didn't qualify as sub-contract labor. Seems like it would benefit your boss, because he wouldn't have to pay unemployment insurance.
Does the work that you take in at home compete with the shop, or is it work that your shop doesn't do anyway? I had a furniture guy working for me that also did auto trim on the side. Not only did I approve, I was thrilled that he could supplement his income from another source besides my pocketbook. Guess your boss has his reasons.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

bobbin

I have been sewing professionally for over 30 yrs. now.  I hail from the ranks of garment work... several years in a strict production setting (hence my exposure and comfort level with varied types of machinery), and before that I worked for a tailor.  I can measure your body, draft a pattern and make you a sport coat and I can work on your fur coat, too.  I've always had a variety of industrial machinery in my own shop here at home (it's a disease with me).  I cut my teeth on drapery work by making all the draperies in our home, then moving on to smaller outside jobs.  I did the same thing with cushion work and slipcovers.   I fell into marine and awning work 18 yrs. ago on a referral from a mechanic friend of mine... I wasn't afraid of commercial sewing machines and the guy needed someone to stitch.  I was it. 

I've never pulled any punches with my prior employers about the fact that I work from home part time.  Technically, there is some overlap with work I do "in the shop" and work I do "at home"; but since I've worked from home longer than I've been employed "in the shop" and I pointedly avoid awning and marine work at home I feel no conflict of interest.  I suspect, though, that that's at the crux of the issue for the overbearing "clamp down" and the refusal to allow me a inch of creativity or participation aside from guiding fabric under the needle.

But, you can't 1099 someone if you can't write up a comprehensive work order with adequate specifications (the way they do in factories when they do production runs). 

JuneC

There might be another reason for refusing the 1099 thing.  The IRS is cracking down right now on companies that don't pay the correct payroll taxes - 1099 being one way of avoiding those.  One of the things they're looking for is any company that has employees who turn into 1099 contractors.  It's an open invite for an audit at the moment.  This might not be your situation, but it is happening. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

bobbin

Excellent point, June!

But all the IRS has to do is pull the records of the 1099d "employeee".  If the "employee" hasn't paid their taxes (as they're required!) then the jig is up.  But if the 1099d produces the records, there's no problem. 

Mike8560

Quote from: Mojo on July 03, 2010, 08:38:16 am

But, sewing these solar screens drives me nuts. Boring, straight forward and no chance to get creative.

Chris
I love a good booring job every so oftem not having to think about what im sewing I can just sitt there zipping along thinking about smthing else or somplace else without a problem sitting in front of me. ;)

Mojo

Quote from: Mike8560 on July 09, 2010, 07:18:57 pm
Quote from: Mojo on July 03, 2010, 08:38:16 am

But, sewing these solar screens drives me nuts. Boring, straight forward and no chance to get creative.

Chris
I love a good booring job every so oftem not having to think about what im sewing I can just sitt there zipping along thinking about smthing else or somplace else without a problem sitting in front of me. ;)

And I know exactly what your thinking of Mike when you have those moments. Your thinking of being out on the boat somewhere in the Gulf catching fish. :)

Not a bad thought to have. :)

Chris