Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 05, 2024, 07:20:05 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Question about material for a grill cover??

Started by hdflame, June 15, 2010, 06:30:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hdflame

June 15, 2010, 06:30:20 am Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:31:51 am by hdflame
Hey everybody, I want to make a cover for my new charcoal/wood/smoker/grill.

I have some 1000 denier Cordura rubber backed that I use to make the Sun Stoppers I sell.  I buy it pretty cheap off eBay and I know it's seconds but I don't know if it's nylon, poly, or if there's any UV protection.

Here's my question, I don't want to use anything expensive, but I don't want to have to make another in 6 months either.  Should I make a cover from this Cordura or order some cheap marine vinyl and use it?  I want it to be waterproof.

It's the black one.
Bobby
www.riddlescustomupholstery.com
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special
BRAND NEW Highlead GC0618-1-SC
and a new Cobra Class 4 Leather Machine  ;)

baileyuph

Give what you have a shot, nothing to loose.  I have used top gun and it seems to wear forever.

Doyle

penguin

I made one for a friend who lives on a mountain top from sunbrella seconds-held up to gale force winds & stays out all winter in the snow-still holding strong after 4 years in the harsh NH weather-in fact once it blew off the deck :o because I attatched a strap to the underside so the cover would not blow away & it filled like a sail-the grill is a very large webber!

Grebo

June 16, 2010, 01:18:56 am #3 Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:40:46 am by Grebo
I used some local sunblind material (reacril), like a cheap sunbrella, made it two years ago & it's still going strong, got blown off once  :-[ & now has a strap under neath.  ;D

hdflame

http://www.montanagrills.com/

I found this while looking around.  Is this a standard type vent used on marine canvas?  Sounded like a good idea to keep the moisture out.

Anyone have any suggestions for tarp vents?

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

I used some cheap stuff for some boat seat sun covers like that at a dealors request. they fell apart like paper in 6 months llitterally

hdflame

Quote from: Mike8560 on June 16, 2010, 08:45:13 am
I used some cheap stuff for some boat seat sun covers like that at a dealors request. they fell apart like paper in 6 months llitterally

I was actually thinking about ordering some carbon fiber vinyl material.  I think that would L@@K C@@L with some flames appliqued around the bottom! ;D
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

Mike8560

hdflame

Quote from: Mike8560 on June 16, 2010, 09:51:45 am
that would look kick ass

Mike,

You know I gotta do some FLAMES! ;D

Wonder if I can use the DOT method to pattern? 8)

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

hdflame

Just wanted to share a few pics of my grill cover I just finished.  It's not like some of the 40 or 50 foot marine tops that Mike and June are famous for, but I learned a little more about making a pattern and got some more practice sewing something different together! ;D

Patterned with 4 mil poly

Computer's acting up, I'll post more tomorrow!

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

gene

I like the attractive blue tape. Isn't it interesting how expensive masking tape is?

I also think the clear material is a great idea. You will be able to see if you accidentally left the grill on. (Talk about 'adding flames"...)

I looked at the montana grill web site. I'm thinking "montana", "mountains", "cows", and then that picture pops up. I got a shock until I realized it was one side of a horseshoe.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mojo

The thing I like about these stupid little projects that we do for ourselves is that they have a tendency to provide us with new ways of doing things.

I have done numerous " cover " projects for home and learned a great deal while doing them.

I still believe that the more time you spend sitting at a machine or standing at a cutting table the better you get. Regardless of the project. :)

Chris

JuneC

Quote from: gene on July 08, 2010, 04:54:04 am
I like the attractive blue tape. Isn't it interesting how expensive masking tape is?

I also think the clear material is a great idea. You will be able to see if you accidentally left the grill on. (Talk about 'adding flames"...)

Gene

Me too Gene.  It'll be the only one like it in town!  8)  Bobby, can you make me one of those if I send you the dimensions?

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

hdflame

Quote from: JuneC on July 08, 2010, 06:15:34 am
Quote from: gene on July 08, 2010, 04:54:04 am

Gene

Me too Gene.  It'll be the only one like it in town!  8)  Bobby, can you make me one of those if I send you the dimensions?

June

June,  I'd be more than happy to make you one, but as Gene pointed out, the BLUE tape is soooo expensive, I don't think you could afford it! :o
Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special

hdflame

OK, thought I'd share a couple more pics of my fancy new clear grill cover, and......the black cover I made to cover the clear one for UV protection.  I figured that since the BLUE tape is sooo expensive, I wanted to save it from the harmful rays of the sun! ;D

One last pic of the fancy clear cover before covering it with a UV inhibitor.

I haven't added any flames yet, but I wanted to get it covered and then I'll work on that later. :D

I'm adding a second smokestack, but it hasn't got here yet.  That's why the one on the left is leaning...there's no chimney there. ;)

I ordered some 303 Fabric Guard from Sailrite to help with UV protection and waterproofing.  Has anyone used that before?  Anything that is better to treat the fabric with?  I wasn't sure about this material so I figured I'd treat it just to make sure.

Bobby
www.sunstopper.biz
Several Old Singers
Elna SU
Older Union Special