Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 25, 2024, 03:51:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Mid century slipper chair - leather

Started by 65Buick, June 24, 2018, 12:20:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveA

The moment of truth for me with tack strip is when i have one side hammered down and i have to calculate the fold over to nail in the right place matching the other side and still pull somewhat to take out the last wrinkle in the center.  The thought of something going wrong at that point when you're probably at the end of your fabric - last piece to put on -
I agree 100 percent it just looks so much better a super straight edge fastened down tightly. 
SA

baileyuph

Good comments on applying tack strips.

The installation begins when the back panel is attached to the top - side to side.  Too much tension
can lead to frustration when applying those side metal tack strips.

Plus, aligning the panel being installed at the top center and bottom center - again watch the tension.

I have had some success when working with problems by avoiding too much tension.  I will get the
panel attached at the top with this kind of detail and then fold the panel down watching - the too much
tension problem - then smooth the back panel down with the hand - (basting) with a tack hammer can help getting a feel of what is best to be done. Observing the fabric grain, can contribute to a nice looking back panel.  It is easy to start the installation with too much tension "down
and horizontally" either or both can lead to issues.

True - avoid getting the padding in contact with the roll up process of the tack strip.  Needless to say,
insure the padding is even thickness also.  Even lining the area before the process starts can help,
If a difficult time seems to be coming, I will start both tack strips (but not driven tight) to get a preview
before seating them.

Gotta train the material to "lay" before relying too much on tension. 

You guys are good, makes interesting work! 

Shows you enjoy your work.

Enjoy,

Doyle

65Buick

1. I promise to kill the dacron at the edge.

2. How exactly do you do that top corner? I've been practicing on a piece of wood. I have used tack strip before and I like it. Should I start the strip a little lower so I can notch the corner and staple it?

MinUph

I run the cardboard tackstrip all the way into the top corner. Then snip the fabric towards the corner stopping maybe 1/16" before the edge so the flap will some out so I can attach the metal strip all the way to the top. It is a bit tricky to turn the strip but a regulator will help. Then align and hammer it home. The trick here is eliminate as much bulk as possible so the nail at the top of the metal strip will stay put. Figuring where to put the stip is pretty simple lay it on the edge tacks facing you and the inside edge is where it will end up when you spin it over after the fabric is on. Slack gets taken out using your trained eye on how much to pull the fabric if any over the nails before popping the nail through. Most times I will get the top nail in place move to the bottom with the strip where is needs to be and pull the fabric down and pop the bottom nail through then just fill in from top to bottom. Turn and hammer home. This takes practice so dont think it will happen right every time for awhile. Another trick is to use a leather mallet and one sharp blow on each nail will set it pretty much home and do very little damage to the fabric, vinyl, or leather with no need to use the plastic sleeves. I do use them on occasion but never use to.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I got my first top corner done, it's not perfect but he's what it looks like

http://gdurl.com/f2fS

MinUph

65 you can send that out like that. Read my last post and run the cardboard all the way over to the edge and fold that corner properly so you dont see the folded leather. If you can't get this right talk them into nails. Sorry but that just doesn't look good.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I agree paul. I read & reread your post. But obviously didn't understand.
I did run the carboard over.

MinUph

In your last picture you could not have run the cardboard all the way to the edge. If you had you wouldn't be able to fold the leather like that. It is a little tricky to fold in in place but it is possible and helpful to use a regulator to help it fold in place.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

There have been times when I added welt cord around the outside back when it wasn't there initially and it was OK with the customer. Welt cord seems to help sometimes with difficult fabrics, vinyls, and leathers.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

65Buick

November 29, 2018, 01:31:46 pm #24 Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:28:01 pm by 65Buick
Paul I unuderstand what you mean now. I sometimes have trouble overthinking things.
Will post photo when I'm done.

Step 1: poke the tack nail through your finger (ow)

Step 2: do a better job

https://gdurl.com/b-RD

the transition is from back the seat is proving tricky, and leaving me with wrinkles that i'm less than happy about.

kodydog

I believe you need to pull the outside back tighter side to side. When poking the tackstrip nails through the fabric I do the top one first. Next, before I poke anymore I go to the bottom nail. Stretch the fabric slightly toward the bottom and slightly to the side. (I'm assuming you have the fabric base tacked to the bottom of the frame). Then poke that bottom nail through the fabric. Next, starting at the top I poke the rest of the nails. They should pretty much fall in line. Slight adjustments may be necessary. When you flip that tackstrip over pause for a moment and make sure everything looks right before you start nailing them to the frame.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

65Buick

November 30, 2018, 05:13:40 pm #26 Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:14:26 pm by 65Buick

MinUph

This business isn't as easy as it looks huh 65. Looks much better.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

Heck no Paul.
I can see where the nails didn't go in fully. I don't think there's any risk of it coming apart. But I can't try to hammer it any more. In a couple spots the leather did get some damage. Very small but still irks me.

MinUph

Leather adds another issue to Upholstery and that is thickness. I sometimes will try to explain to the client about this and ask if they would like nail trim on these areas. This way you can use 3/4" shank nails in the thick areas and they won't loosen up. But it is what it is. You will find ways to cutout the bulk of thickness as time goes on. Keep that in the back of your mind and when you have many thicknesses like that try and figure ways to cut as much away as possible. Even with some fabrics the bulk builds up like that.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website