Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 02:26:39 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Cell phones

Started by Mike, February 01, 2014, 05:38:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I see mojo you found a solution.   I figured i post here for a yo e else needing info.
Im paying $205-212 a month for 2 i phones unlimited data and 700 shared minutes.
I was looking into virgin mogle who i could buy a new i phone cor $280 and for 35 or 45- monthget up to 1200 minutes. T
More then i need for one line so $90 for two non contract plans to replace what i have.
Now att who i have have a new value plan $45 no contract a month i can kerp mu i phones and numbers so $90 a month unlimeted minuted and data. Im sure there other fees over the $90 there always is.
But i think imgoing this way im just wondering if i should wait till june when my contracts up of pay a penalty.

kodydog

Not trying to high jack this thread Mike but I have a question I think is related.

The guy I work for is not tech savvy. There are no computers in this business but he can see the benefits of being on line. Receiving photos in e-mails for estimates for starters but also to start a web site to advertise the business and to start online fabric sales. They have over 1500 bolts of fabric. Also to update their Facebook page. The decorator does this at home during her free time.

I don't have an I phone and am not familiar with all that it can do but he sees all his kids and friends with one and thinks he can accomplish everything with one. I think he just wants a new toy. I suggested a laptop might be better.

What do you think? Do you do all this from your I phone?
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Doing all that your boss wants to do on a smart phone of any brand is like driving across country on a 100 cc motor scooter. It will get you there but the frustration will kill you before one state goes by.
  A computer is really needed for all this. A screen you can see and a keyboard of normal size. Storage and software will also be very helpful. Pictures need to be edited, text needs to be written, etc.etc.etc.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on February 01, 2014, 07:39:46 am
Doing all that your boss wants to do on a smart phone of any brand is like driving across country on a 100 cc motor scooter. It will get you there but the frustration will kill you before one state goes by.
  A computer is really needed for all this. A screen you can see and a keyboard of normal size. Storage and software will also be very helpful. Pictures need to be edited, text needs to be written, etc.etc.etc.
I agree. Ideally, you would have both an I-phone and a laptop. But if you are only going to start with ONE.......I'd start with the laptop.

I do have a lot of customers now that absolutely don't know how to e-mail a photo of their furniture. But they can text me a pic on their I-phone in a nanosecond.

I even have several that ask me to "Friend" them on Facebook, so they can post a pic of their furniture on their FB page, and I can view it there.

I hate the ones that bring their I-phone into my store, and spend 20 minutes scrolling through 10 zillion photos trying to find the one of their couch. Then just when they finally find it, their phone rings and they have to start over.

Charlotte Fabrics usually offers a 5% discount on orders placed online. Other suppliers have various monthly specials available online only.

I-phone? Laptop? I fought off getting both as long as I could. But they've made my life easier.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

baileyuph

Custom reupholstery and repairs or auto interiors and repairs nor marine work I do is facilitated by pictures, with the exception of an email picture.

First, unlike a lot of business, the item to be worked on has to be seen by the shop and be there to follow on with "real work".  Before I get flogged with accusations of "lo tech", there is an exception to anything - hence the email picture(s) work very well.  I don't benefit from phone pictures as much, probably picture quality and perspective is the issue.

A small shop can get distracted with too much technology.  The important thing is get the work done and get paid.  Get on with the next job.  DEPENDS ON YOUR TYPE OF BUSINESS!

My business is not hidden, it is on a major intersection and has been there a long time.  Thousands pass daily, all they have to do is drop by and/or communicate by phone.  Many just come by and "drop off" and comment call me when ready.

A hidden business like mine, I would not like, doubt I could make much unless it too has a lot of referrals.

This perspective is unusal to some perhaps, I have master's level tech degree/training and am making this small business work pretty well, by focusing on location and reputation.  Visability is another way of putting it.

For example, there are companies with fleets of trucks/cars in my area, they will find doing their repair business more accomodating by working with a neighborhood establishment, not someone miles away. 

I can make more money with a shop full of equipment than a purse full of phones.

One best not put it all in a "can", just doesn't work.

Doyle

babock

February 01, 2014, 06:06:03 pm #5 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:55:48 pm by babock
StraightTalk. $45/month unlimited voice and text 2.5GB data. If your iPhone is on ATT and you are done with your contract, you can use it.

baileyuph

Related maybe indirectly; new law aound here is caught talking and driving = ticket.

Already, phones are being turned off, no contact while driving.

There have been major wrecks to back up the new law.  I suppose it will spread to other states.

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle those laws have been growing for years. It has become normal place to have hands free technology in your car. Bluetooth etc.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

Mike

Kody best to have bolth od at least a desktop.
I would blost without my i phone  i use ot to take email or text messages from customer on the jobsite. Take phote and will email or text them to a customer who may be gone away in the sumer take credit card payment in persone or over the phone when the customer is out of state. And i keep a running log of all my jobs like notes on a pegboard. Whn a job is done i get rid of it a the list comes up whats next and when i get a new job i note the date project  and cost and deposite giving   
Oh yes and all the phone nuber are stored in the call contacts.

gene

February 02, 2014, 06:57:04 am #9 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:58:03 am by gene
I have a cell phone that makes and receives phone calls. Texting is becoming so popular that I may need to add this to my phone.

I occasionally have customers who want to send pics to my cell phone and I tell them to email them to me. I wouldn't be able to see the details on my phone anyway.

I have my email at home so I can only check it in the evening and morning before I go to work. This works fine for me. If someone needs a quote ASAP I can give them a quote based on what they describe to me over the phone.

Did you hear about the new I-Camera that's coming out next Fall? It takes pictures without you being interrupted by phone calls.  ;D

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

Mike

Quote from: gene on February 02, 2014, 06:57:04 am

Did you hear about the new I-Camera that's coming out next Fall? It takes pictures without you being interrupted by phone calls.  ;D

gene
I forgot all about all my musuc is on my I phone I dint even use my 2 I pods anymore, plus I found a cool app in windows 8 on my laptop to record youtube vidis I find many quality music recording I add to my I tunes,

Darren Henry

Quotenew law aound here is caught talking and driving = ticket.

New law in Canada---we call it distracted driving and it is because of talking/texting while driving but can include any  behaviour that takes your focus off the road like reading the paper ( yes I actual saw a guy do that),putting on your make-up etc...$275 fine and 2 demerits on your license so you'll pay a little more for your license next year as well.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

NDAV8R

Ya, here in North Dakota it is law here, too. But I found out you are exempt if you are a State or Government worker. I think if you are going to enforce a law, everyone should abide!

Gale.
Strive for Perfection...Settle for Excellence!

gene

February 03, 2014, 05:46:10 am #13 Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:46:39 am by gene
QuoteI think if you are going to enforce a law, everyone should abide!

Congress is exempt from minimum wage laws. Congress is exempt from affirmative action laws. Congress is exempt from Obama Care laws. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Back in my traveling sales days, I would often leave the hotel early in the morning and read the Wall Street Journal whilst driving down the expressway. I stopped only because I began reading a new paper called the USA Today. I eventually stopped reading the USA Today because I realized what an idiot I was to be reading the paper while driving.

And "no", Darren, I have never put on my makeup while driving. That would be really dangerous!  ;D

I read an article that said the part of your brain that engages while you drive is different than the part of the brain you use to text. So, when you are texting while driving the part of your brain that you use to drive is 'disengaged'. The article thinks this may be why so many accidents occur from texting while driving.

gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

mike802

My wife and I share one cell phone, we pre purchase minutes. I dont want nothing to due with contracts. Our phone is only used for emergency's, we keep it with us when traveling or away from the house so family can get in touch with us during an emergency.  Other than that I dont want nothing to due with them, I watched a utube video where three cell phones were placed around some pop corn, the phones were called so they all range at the same time and the pop corn popped! 
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com