Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 08:40:40 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Processed Leather

Started by baileyuph, February 18, 2018, 12:04:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

Question regarding "Processed Leather": 

Is the more expensive durable?  Most I have contact with is a problem within a couple years - maybe
at best.  But looking at sample books, some isn't really priced low.

Doyle

MinUph

Doyle,
  I have felt that there must be some explanation as to why some is good and some is terrible. I know it is used in cars and holds up real well. And then some falls apart in a week. But I don't know what the difference is so I stay away from it as much as I can.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

baileyuph

Processed leather I referenced to is normally used for non seating or furniture upholstery.

This leather comes on a roll like most furniture material and other applications do, i.e. clothing just to
suggest an example) and is problematic within a few months (peels). 

Auto manufacturers do not use this material in their original seat upholstery, instead they use what is
closer to the understanding of hide material and is an interesting study.  Of course, auto manufacturers
use matching vinyl in an incorporating manner, in their seats - with leather also.  The technology supporting this endeavor is interesting, but back to furniture processed leather.

This comes on a 54 inch roll, not a hide, and is the problem I addressed.  It can be costly and some rather more costly.

Furniture processed leather, in a simple description, is made from leather scrap that has gone through
a grinding process, then poured and finished on a roll.  Can be beautiful to start with but like I have
explained - in regular use -  "peels".

Leather processing technologies are interesting to read how much cutting and other preparations
depend on computer supported technologies.

Doyle

MinUph

What you are referring to is rebonded leather. Sold under that name but sometimes the sales force sneaks in just the word leather. I see it very often as a peeled mess. It is ground into a powder and mixed with some sort of resin then sprayed on a backing. Sometimes that backing is genuine leather of the worst layer and is very deceiving when you see it on a job. And yes it is rolled sheet goods.
  There are many other forms of processed leather that I am really more concerned with as some have to be decent product but I am not sure what is what.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

65Buick

I have seen this stuff too. It may be ok to use - some time in the future, but not now.
Only thing I can add is I believe auto manufacturers use real leather. At last those luxury brands, and the reason I know is because I watched a documentary in which poor nations process it for cents, and is bought by the auto manufacturers.

SteveA

The scam goes - " leather everywhere you sit"  - my Son bought a sofa at Bob's ....the top of the cushions shredded in one year.  He called Bob's and they said there is nothing they can do - and that they don't carry that line anymore

SA

baileyuph

No, I won't subscribe to the processed leather (bonded).  Some customers want some relief for their peeling problem.  Therefore, I first encourage them to go back to the vendor and try to order a replacement (part so to speak) and I do install them. 

I frequently get this kind of work, customer does the looking -- I do the installation.  The customer seems
to understand the price issue related but it gets them a little more use out of what they bought.   On the positive side, it does match and I have gotten good tearing down and replacing things. 

It pays the bills!

Doyle