Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 14, 2024, 09:09:57 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Furniture Spring Bases

Started by baileyuph, February 07, 2014, 05:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

February 07, 2014, 05:46:47 am Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:48:41 pm by DB
 Based on the business workload, something has changed in newer furniture seat spring build up.  Of course this is with respect to zig zag spring bases, not much else used unless it is stretch webbing.

Anyway, many of the zig-zag spring bases are "shaking loose or apart" within just a few months (perhaps less than 6 months).   The springs as a rule do not break but clips holding the stay wires, going across, become loose, even fall off.  When this happens, the springs will have lateral play and can break end clips holding springs to frame members.

What is happening:

1. Problem due to bigger people?

2.  Not enough stay wires or clips weaker?

3.  Springs too long to support the bigger furnituer?

4.  Furniture overuse - I have noted more people sharing a home to cut rent cost
                                         as many as two or three generations have moved in with
                                         relatives and/or friends.   All leads to more traffic.

5.  Spring steel stretch? - The springs are definitely stretched, ultimately
                                              enough they jump out of the end clips.

6.  Other causes not listed?  

This problem is large, sometimes I get several of these in one day, most looks Asian made stuff, understandable, most is made in Asia today.

It probably should be added that this isn't the only problems with furniture today, but we went for years without a lot of spring (zig-zag) repairs.

Any insights?  Probably hard to pinpoint the cause, just the symptom.

Doyle        

sofadoc

I think it's a combination of factors. Mainly, cheaper lighter-gauge (wider bends) zig-zags.

When I repair these, I use 12 gauge paper-wrapped stakewire, which is usually 2 or 3 sizes heavier than the original stakewire. This provides for a tighter crimp, and less overall "play". I often add an extra row (or 2) of stakewire. And I use a Hartco pneumatic clincher. I tried all the hand-tool crimping methods with little long-term success. When I fix 'em, they're fixed for good. But that doesn't mean that something else won't break. After all, it's a cheap POS.

I can't find it right now. But there are some youtube videos of guys in a factory installing stakewire on zig-zag decks. They go lightening fast. So fast that many of the clips don't catch good. They don't care. They just keep going.   
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

baileyuph

Dennis, does your A&A Fabrics have the 12 guage stake wire?

That pneumatic clip clincher, expensive?  I should know the answer to that one, everything is more expensive.  LOL.

Well, back to the spring problem, there are a lot of them out there, this Asian made junk is cheap to buy and consumers can't afford better (think they can?) or don't have enough sense to know tht quality counts more than price.

I have been in this business (any type of upholstery that is) for several years and I haven't seen quality go down in furniture so much, can't believe it.  All of these customers blame it on manufacturers or store that sold it (they don't understand where the junk is made).  I hear it everyday, "why I paid $800 for this sofa", as an example.  I try to keep my mouth shut but want to tell them " we've been paying that for a sofa for over 20 years, everything else has gone up why hasn't furniture".  If furniture today cost at the same inflation rate as a new car, no one  (well not near as many) could afford a sofa.  All this said, but in perspective, all these "Lo Rent" consumers have their big screens and are proud of them.  Values is part of what we are dealing with and the other dimension to all this is you can't live in middle class and expect to have it all at once.

Back to springs again, LOL.

Dennis has the larger stake wire clips, he indicated this in the past, but some of the clips in the new furniture aren't readily avaiable.  The spring to frame clips with plastic inserts aren't available from my vantage.  Another item that isn't used much in this country and aren't stocked due to low demand. 

To work on this new stuff, it would help if they were engineered better and supplies were available.

I don't think it is going to get much better until consumers just stop buying the junk!

Doyle

MinUph

Quote from: DB on February 08, 2014, 06:30:39 am

I don't think it is going to get much better until consumers just stop buying the junk!

Doyle

I kinda doubt they ever will. The general consumer no longer knows quality while the older groups do and will continue to feed our shops. The "affordable" stores only carry this stuff so the consumer thinks that this is what it is. I hear 2 or 3 times a week, "we paid his much for this piece" I too try to keep my mouth shut. :)
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

sofadoc

Quote from: MinUph on February 08, 2014, 06:57:21 am
I hear 2 or 3 times a week, "we paid his much for this piece" I too try to keep my mouth shut.
Man, I hear it too.

"I paid 8 hunnert dollars for this couch......it oughta be perfect!!!"

OR:

"I got this couch from Ashley.......they're s'posed to be the BEST!!"

I always WANT to say "Who told you they were the best? Was it that nice man at the Ashley store?"
But like you guys, I just bite my lip.

The ones that REALLY kill me, are the ones that factor in the sum total of all their interest paid into the value of the couch. Then suddenly, an $800 couch becomes a $2000 couch.

Doyle:
Here is the only place that I've been able to get 12 Ga. paper-wrapped stakwire from.

It took an "Act of Congress" to set up an account. They really don't like selling to small buyers.

Keep an eye on E-bay for a Hartco HR-66 or HR-65 pneumatic clincher. Sometimes they come up for around $150 - $200. The appropriate clips are available online at  Ample Supply. With shipping, a case of 3600 is around $60.

So the gun, the wire, and the clips will set you back around $375-$400.

byhammerandhand

I remember that guy (MJ) from here on the forum.   Last I remember of him, he was blogging about his conversion of an old transit bus to an RV.

Quote from: gene on February 07, 2014, 04:47:35 pm
Here's a video on the topic that I watched recently. You may find it of interest.

gene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYJKpqiaHBs&list=UUiTn2kpB0EZySO7U-odTGag&feature=c4-overview
Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

gene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfAi0ApT-5w

At 2:15 they  show a machine installing the spring clips.

gene

PS: I may have posted this before, way back in my younger days of being an upholsterer.

gene

February 10, 2014, 05:16:07 am #8 Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:17:17 am by gene
QuoteThe ones that REALLY kill me, are the ones that factor in the sum total of all their interest paid into the value of the couch. Then suddenly, an $800 couch becomes a $2000 couch.

Sometimes folks will act like I got a cut of the profits in the sofa or chair that they bought, and therefore it's my fault that it fell apart. LOL

You paid $2000 for a sofa and less than 2 years later you're paying me $400 for new seat foam. Yes, that's my fault. And I'm the one who voted to raise your taxes again, and again, and again.

"How can I be out of money when I still have checks in my check book?"

"You should have cashed that check the same day I gave it to you. It's not my fault you waited till the next day."

gene

sofadoc

Quote from: gene on February 10, 2014, 05:09:03 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfAi0ApT-5w

At 2:15 they  show a machine installing the spring clips
The clips, tool, and wire that I'm referring to are at the 3:00 mark.