Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 10:06:59 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Contemporary Furniture Same as Modern furniture?

Started by baileyuph, March 05, 2013, 05:27:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

I hear contemporary and modern used to define the same furniture style. 

Are both terms actually acceptable to use to define furniture styles?

This might be a question for Gene - he has considerable designer contacts.

Is there a style difference between modern furniture and contemporary furniture?

Modern is characteristic of being new. What does contemporary connotate?  Being the same? If that is correct then it probably isn't correct to use the two terms to describe the same furniture style.

I ask but don't know what the feed back will be?  They may ask what I have been smoking.  LOL

Someone who has a designer certificate might relate best to my question(s).

Gene you deal with designers a bit, any input?

Doyle

Peppy

Modern is a style. It's been a long time since art school so I forget exactly when it was but say it was the '60s, many people decided to paint (and build furniture and what not) a certain way. That style was termed modern. People may still paint in the modern style but it has nothing to do with when they're doing it. Or it might be an adjective, depending if the person went to artschool or not. Contemporary is the same I imagine.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

baileyuph

In review, I understand what Peppy is saying with respect to how the term "modern" is used and especially how it applies to furniture styles.  Yes, it is a style, generally meaning one with new ideas compared to old ideas.  It could be old yesterday and today but still be modern relative ancient past.

Then, examining contemporary, it could be with respect to a style, but clarifies that most of the same period  are doing the same. 

Moving to the present, most furniture today is our modernization effects on tables, lamps, etc. and even on a lot of our upholstered furniture.  Then, as consumers today adapt to and decorate with the same furniture adaptions, that degree of sameness makes it contemporary of the time.

All this makes it easier to understand decorator talk. 

Thanks,

Doyle