Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 04:39:12 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Carpet Padding VS Foam

Started by JK29, October 15, 2017, 03:07:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JK29

I m making a pad for a piece of gym equipment that will need to handle heavy loads. It will have a vinyl upholstery covering. I want the padding to be 3 thick and very very firm. Should I go with a high ILD foam (70-90) or layer carpet padding? Which is firmer?

THANKS!

kodydog

October 15, 2017, 05:17:16 pm #1 Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:19:26 pm by kodydog
There are many types of carpet padding but this is my 2 cents worth,

The first thing I would ask myself is what is the ILD on the carpet pad. I doubt it is 70-90.

Consider also carpet padding is what? 1/2 inch thick? Its going to take 6 layers to get up to 3". Sounds like a lot of labor to me.

The next thing I would ask myself is how resilient is carpet padding and how long will it last compared to poly foam. I'm guessing the poly foam will take more abuse. 3" seems a little thick but if that is what the customer wants that is what they will get.

If the customer is on a budget and you are trying to save them money beware... if the carpet padding does not hold up the customer will be after you to fix the problem.

Its a good question. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html

MinUph

Not to over simplify but poly foam is for seating and furniture use. While carpet padding of to pad a carpet. You will not get the durability of poly foam using carpet padding. It will take a set and fail. Maybe a 1/2" of springs then real foam on top but not 3" of it.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JK29

10-4, thanks for the replies and guidance.

baileyuph

JK,

Specifically, what will the pad be used for:  walking over floors or doing gymnastics
in a gym?

Two different applications, therefore probably different requirements.

In gymnastics, participants will be falling, rolling, etc. 

Doyle

MinUph

Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

JK29

Quote from: baileyuph on October 16, 2017, 05:27:18 am
JK,

Specifically, what will the pad be used for:  walking over floors or doing gymnastics
in a gym?

Two different applications, therefore probably different requirements.

In gymnastics, participants will be falling, rolling, etc. 

Doyle

It's going to be used on a Reverse Hyper Extension machine.

Like this one: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-reverse-hyper-2

kodydog

I now see the need for 3" foam. "Reverse Hyper Extension" sounds like something an extreme sports player would need.
There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
http://northfloridachair.com/index.html