Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 02:07:33 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Pontoon Corner cushion

Started by JDUpholstery, November 16, 2012, 03:03:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

If im making a cushion i will pattern the foam but 99% of the time like the pontoon in my previous post i use the old skin for a pattern like the article. Saves alot of time.

JuneC

I almost always pattern off the foam.  The only time I pattern off the old vinyl is if it really isn't old (and misshapen) at all - like if it got damaged and has to be replaced but is still basically new.  I find that it can't really be laid flat enough to get a good image and even those pieces that can be will mess up the fit. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

Peppy

Darren that's almost exactly how I do it. But I pattern all the pieces at the same time, I don't draw lines on the foam. I make all my patterns finished size and the seam allowance gets added at the table. I use 1/2" staples to staple the pattern to the foam, like rapid fire pins.

Trying it on before top stitching is a good tip.
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠
http://www.facebook.com/greybruceupholstering
☠ ✄ ✂ ✁ ✂ ✃ ✄ ✌ ✄ ✂ ✁  ✂ ✃ ✄  ✁ ✃ ☠

JDUpholstery

So customer came today and took the boat, I still need to recover console, and am working on the Bimini in shop now, but he was pretty durn happy...I just could not get rid of that one wrinkle in the corner cushion but he said it did not bother him...

Thanks for all the tips and tricks, I just know my next one is going to be that much better and easier....not to shabby considering my first sewing attempt in my life was only a year ago!

Darren Henry

QuoteI use 1/2" staples to staple the pattern to the foam, like rapid fire pins.

I'll have to try that sometime. I usually only need to use 4-6 skewers doing it one panel at a time,but if you're going to "mummify" the hole piece, I can see where that would really save time.
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!

Mike

November 23, 2012, 03:18:13 pm #20 Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:20:47 pm by MikeM8560
not nad at all jd
Darren what do you kek on the foam with ?  ive had sharlie burn though the vinyl doin gthis and learned my lesson

scarab29

ometimes I take that heat gun and hit the old hard crusty skins with it . It softend them up and takes out the memory of being that curve for the last 10 years. It helps if you're gonna use them for a pattern.  :o
duct tape is like the force . it has a light side , a dark side , and holds the universe together.

Darren Henry

QuoteI take that heat gun and hit the old hard crusty skins with it

I use a steam iron ,set on max steam/lowest temp. that will give me that .

Mike; I just use a sharpie. Our weather is more like you had in N.H, not that insane humidity/heat in Fl. I've never had a problem (yet , cross fingers).
Life is a short one way trip, don't blow it!Live hard,die young and leave no ill regrets!