Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 04:47:48 pm

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Advice for letting go?

Started by Geech, October 27, 2010, 11:32:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Geech

Long story short - I was burned by a customer to the tune of $1800 on the balance of his job.  I have a contract signed by him stating he's in the wrong, but I know the complicated battle is not going to be worth the trouble associated with collecting the balance due.  In reality, I'll lose more money  by wasting time and costs on such a pursuit, but I can't let go mentally and need advice.

I'm reminded of the movie "A Bronx Tale" and trying to convince myself that by "paying $1800" for this guy to go away, I'm better off.  The problem is I can't let my mind accept I've been burned by this clown and move on.  Does anyone have any advice on "letting go" which I obviously have a hard time doing?  I more than earned that money, I'm really proud of the job, but when I see the photos of my work instead of a feeling of pride I'm overcome with resentment over the ordeal.

Any help would be great, again - I'm legally in the right spot, but its simply not worth the time and money to chase down a deadbeat who I now know has larger financial concerns than this balance to me which results in even less of a chance of satisfaction ever happening.

Thanks
Greg

bobbin

Nothing pisses me off more than some *hole stiffing a tradesman.  I know exactly what you're saying about the time and money involved in "going after him".  You're right.  But sometimes making the effort to uphold the principle of the agreement is important.  You have to make that call for yourself. 

I had a woman stiff me on a very complicated alteration job many years ago.  I was working in a store, tracked down a skirt in the right color to match the jacket she'd bought, and then altered it for her.  She arrived at the store, picked it up and left and never paid for it, telling the woman at the register she'd already paid me.  She was a real estate agent in the same town I'd grown up in.  I've never forgotten her name or the amount she's owed me for nearly 20 yrs. now.  And I'm certain she's screwed several others who were honest, trusting, and gave her latitude.  She's a liar, an *hole, and usually those are the first to be hit when times get hard.   

Karma, baby.  What goes around, comes around.  I've often thought about tracking her down on Facebook; things are different now!  Deadbeats can't just "evaporate". 

SHHR

Obviously I don't know the laws of your state, but I hear of small claims court all of the time tacking on your legal expenses to the balance your customer would owe you so you walk out of court not owing anything. Also What kind of work is it? If it's on a vehicle (boat,RV,Car, Truck)you can file a mechanics lien. In Indiana it's only $25-$50 filing fee and although you may not be able to collect right away, if it's ever sold either he won't be able to or you'll get your money then.

I do agree sometimes "letting go" may be the easiest, however when I've done it something usually down the road draws my mind to it and I get madder than ever, so I never really let go of it.

I've had discussions with friends and family over similar topics and they usually say fight it just for the principle of it. That shows your deadbeat customer that he shouldn't try it again with someone else (and he will) plus it shows that you can't be taken advantage of as well.

Hey if all else fails Get everyone from the forum here to show up at this guys together and we'll collect!!! >:(
Kyle

sofadoc

Quote from: Geech on October 27, 2010, 11:32:46 am
I have a contract signed by him stating he's in the wrong, but I know the complicated battle is not going to be worth the trouble associated with collecting the balance due.  In reality, I'll lose more money  by wasting time and costs on such a pursuit, but I can't let go mentally and need advice.

This is why I don't bother with signed contracts. They only protect you from honest people (and you don't need protection from THEM).
Greg: If the situation were reversed, you can bet he would be shouting from the rooftops about what a dog you are. Publicly shaming him might be your best course of action.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

gene

If you have solid documentation a collection agency may give you 20 or 30 cents on the dollar??? You get some money and the knowledge that the customer will get at least a few phone calls.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

stitcher_guy

Dont do it yourself. Stay out of court, don't hire a lawyer. It will cost you too much. Contact a Collection Agency. They even have wording that you need to get on your contracts that will allow you to get you WHOLE amount back. The contract signee agrees to pay above and beyond the initial amount to cover all collection and attorneys fees if they welch out. I use it about once a year. I collect my contract and invoice, fill out their information sheet and fax it off. It's the last I have to worry about. I've only had ONE that they couldn't track down the deadbeat and not get me my money.

I have a copy of my Check In form I can send you if you message me. It includes the wording that proects me and allows me to go after deadbeats.

Gregg @ Keystone Sewing

Yup, Gene & stither_guy beat me to it; Collection Agency.

Backwoods

Thats the reason that sign hangs in the shop CASH ONLY.  Jobs released on full payment.
Never forget our VETERAN's it is not a bad word it is an HONOR.      May GOD Bless Them

JuneC

Ooooooh it's hard to let go.  Wish I had some advice.  I did the collection agency thing - he refused to pay.  Period.  Turned it over to small claims court with a cheap ($550) lawyer.   Won my case.  Guess how much I collected???!!!  Nada.  Nothing.  Lien on boat?  Where is it?  If I ever see it, I'm going to be sorely tempted to break the law and slash all that "free" upholstery I did. 

Only thing I can suggest is to move on.  The good customers will restore your faith in people, but it takes time.  I just did a job yesterday and the customer was all up and down the dock telling everyone he saw what a great canvas person I was :D  and he paid in cash. 

June
"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people."

W. C. Fields

mike802

When I first started out in this business I was very young, about 20 and looked even younger.  People tried to take advantage of me alot.  I got stiffed a few times, thankfully only for a few hundred bucks, but it really hurts, especially for a new business surviving on every cent.   I hung a sign in my shop where everyone who came in could see it, it said (50% deposit required, balance paid if full before pick up or delivery)  This helped, but it amazed me how many businesses just assumed they had credit with me, so soon after I hung the first sign, I was hanging a second sign that said ( no credit ).  This strategy worked well, but I still had problems with some people.  It was never enough money to go to court over, so I kept that person in my mind, guess I never let go either.  Anyway, I live is a small community, so over time I would get an opportunity to get my money back, or get even in some way.  

A kind gentleman who was a customer, was looking over the invoice I had just given him.  He said to me, I would like to give you some advice.  He told me I should have an expressed mechanics lien and also some kind of release from liability that my customer signed before any work was done.  I took him up on his advice, although I have been fortunate and have never had to fall back on it, the legal sounding wording seams to have stopped most of the trouble I was having, that and I look much older now may have something to do with it.
I have heard that if you have a signed mechanics lien and don't get paid you can have a sheriff go and get the item. Then you can hold it for payment, or sell it to recoup your loss.  I suspect every state has different laws on this.  Like I said, never had to use it, I just don't let people take stuff until it is paid for in full.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

SHHR

I have a question about collection agencies for you guys who have used them. Do they have any real teeth to go after losses? The reason I'm asking is for over three years now I've had a dispute with Dish Network over satellite tv service. They started charging me for pay per view movies no one in the house ordered.

After arguing a while they refused to remove the charges, so I suggested what they could do with their sattelite dish and told them to shut off my service and I sent back the equipment to them. I paid all of my bill except for the pay-per-view charges. They kept billing me and I kept calling refusing to pay. Two years went by with nothing said and I receive a call from a collection agency over it. The man I spoke with was very nice and understood my story, but suggested I pay just to avoid further trouble. I told him I would think about it and call him back the next day. Well I did and I told him I decided I'm still not paying since I'm not in the wrong. He was cordial and we ended the call. Well about a year later (last week to be exact) another collection agency called here for my wife over the Dish tv bill. She told them the story too and also plain and simply we're not paying. The person on the line told her "thank you this will close your case and will never hear from us again".

I don't know if it was a true "honest" agency or someone who has access to records trying to make a quick buck.
Kyle

crammage

I worked for a collection agency 25 years ago and the only teeth they really have are small claims court.  We would collect on less than 10% of the accounts turned over to us.  Most of those were for select clients and the clients didn't really have a collection dept so they just sent to over to us to follow up on and we could collect on a larger percentage of those accounts.  At that time we never looked at small claims court for accounts less then $250.00 because it wasn't worth the cost.  I would image that figure is higher today.

Unless they threaten to take you to court you aren't in legal trouble.

The other issue is they can assign a bad record to your credit report and they threaten with that as well.

Hope that helps.

Clay

Rich

Since you asked for advice on letting go, I'm assuming you have no realistic expectations of seeing this money, but have found all the advice for future dealings posted here to be helpful. For the letting go part, I find it helpful to remind myself that I believe there is justice in the eternal. For example; Hebrews 10:30 "For we know Him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"a  and again, "The Lord will judge his people."

Rich
Everything's getting so expensive these days, doesn't anything ever stay at the same price? Well the price for reupholstery hasn't changed much in years!

Mike8560

I agree with June I got stiffed $700 in the end.anyone canto o er a jod with a magninying lend Anne find a flaw if they want to.
I'd be inclined do somthing bad if inhad the operatunity.
Move on and be happy

Mojo

I have several buddies who own large businesses in Michigan and they use a collection agency in Detroit. I forget the name but I think Guido and Luca Brasi work for them. :)

I have been stiffed numerous times in business deals. My worst was for $ 2,800. I was so pissed I was going to go to the guys house with a baseball bat and beat the moose crap out of him. In the end I just let it go. I had such a great reputation in the marketing industry that when others heard of it they too were PO'ed and they refused to do business with him. The word spread all over the State of Michigan and in the end it destroyed his reputation and he had to shut down his business.

I stewed over every loss I ever had over the years until I finally learned the art of letting go and here is the secret - " It is all mind over matter and some people do not matter ". I learned to forget about the deals gone bad while learning some valuable lessons along the way and then I moved on. No POS is worth my time or energy stewing over them. In the end they always get what they have coming to them.

Just remember - Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice shame on me.

Chris