Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 19, 2024, 01:21:17 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

Venting Leather or vinyl cushions

Started by Chuck D, September 02, 2010, 03:15:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck D

I'm making a faux leather cushion for a customer that is seen from all sides and I am trying to figure out how to vent it. He's concerned it will make too much of a poofing noise without venting. It has two rows of buttons down the center (10 total) and the cushion is 19" x 54" x 2" thick. Looking for suggestions.

sofadoc

You can always use cloth on 3/4 of the bottom panel, but of course, the cushion won't be reversable. Ventilators would be seen on the sides. I always try to use firm foam on leather/vinyl cushions. Less poofing that way.
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

MinUph

Quote from: Chuck D on September 02, 2010, 03:15:05 pm
I'm making a faux leather cushion for a customer that is seen from all sides and I am trying to figure out how to vent it. He's concerned it will make too much of a poofing noise without venting. It has two rows of buttons down the center (10 total) and the cushion is 19" x 54" x 2" thick. Looking for suggestions.

Without venting there will be more problems than poofing. The vinyl will blow apart at the seams in time and the cushion will seem very hard. As in nowhere for the air to go. Seeing the boxing is visible on 4 sides that only leaves the bottom. Or a coordinating fabric for the boxing.
Paul
Minichillo's Upholstery
Website

gene

September 02, 2010, 08:07:21 pm #3 Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:12:17 pm by gene
Hello,

Mr.Sofadoc, your suggestion is a very good suggestion. It does tend to solve the problem of needing to let the air out and in. And yes, it does cause the cushion to not be reversible. However, I am sure there are folks out there who have had no problem reversing the cushion when the leather rotted out on the front. They are probably thinking, "Hey, why didn't they just use all fabric? The chair would have lasted a lot longer."

I am always disappointed when I see fabric on the bottom half of leather cushions. Vinyl cushions I don't care. But leather? Ugh! You see this nice leather wing back or comfy club chair, turn over the cushion, and there it is: cheap crap! It's like someone on American Idol singing a Janis Joplin song. Or seeing an old  Porsche 911 and then hearing the VW engine inside it when it takes off down the street. Why not use florescent pink or purple with florescent green dots for the fabric? If you are going to us fabric, why not REALLY USE FABRIC!

Mr. Minuph: I would bet a dollar, if I had one, that the zipper will blow out before the seams if there is no additional way to release the air, especially if some big ol' butt plops down on the cushion while simultainiously trying to balance the bowl of chips and the diet soda pop while changing the channel because NCIS just started.

Mr. Chuck D: I think I would add brass ventilators in the back, nicely spaced with a few above the zipper and a few below the zipper, depending on the size of the cushion and the thickness of the foam.

Gene
QUALITY DOES NOT COST, IT PAYS!

sofadoc

Chuck: Some air will escape around the buttons. Since the cushion is only 2" thick, I don't think that "poofing" will be as big a problem as it would be with a 4" or thicker cushion. Especially if you use some pretty firm foam. I would make the cushion as if it didn't need any vents. If it DOES "poof" when you sit on the finished product, you can always incorporate Gene's idea of ventilators above and below the zipper (you can add the ventilators last, if need be).
"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

seamsperfect

Can you use small grommets under the buttons?  Enough to where you would not see them but it would let out trapped air.......
Kevin

mike802

Is using 1/3 fabric on the under side of a leather cushion really any different than upholstering the deck of a leather sofa, or chair in denim?  Most of the pieces I do in leather, or vinyl have 1/3 of the cushions underside upholstered with heavy denim.  The 1/3 heavy denim fabric lets air out much faster than ventilators, even if you use 4 or 6 of them.  It allows the cushion to return back to an un-sat on condition faster also.  Leather or vinyl cushions without it feel like you are sitting on a big balloon as the air slowly escapes.  I never viewed it as cheap, but rather the best solution for a common problem, although I would like to give the grommet under the buttons a try someday.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

bobbin

I like the idea of using a small grommet under the buttons, too.  Very clever.  We often use them on the underside of bolsters or leaning posts to facilitate ventilation/drainage.  We also use either closed cell foam or reticulated foam; as Sofa. pointed out, both are stiffer foams. 

I work in the marine part of the business and when we use vinyl for cushions we frequently put textilene or sunsure (mesh) on the underside.  "Flippability" is not such a big issue on boats because of the shape of the hull or cockpit, certainly not the way it would be with a piece of furniture in a home. 

206RB

How about a ventilator punch? It makes a neat 5 hole pattern.
http://www.atrim.com/Page44.html

Chuck D

Hey Gang, Thanks for all the great suggestions. I suggested a nice cloth bottom to the customer but he really wants the cushion to be reversible with faux leather on all sides. I may just try the small grommets under the buttons.

mike802

If it really has to be reversible maybe a zipper placard made form fabric would help?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln
http://www.mjamsdenfurniture.com

seamsperfect

Quote from: Chuck D on September 07, 2010, 06:42:44 am
Hey Gang, Thanks for all the great suggestions. I suggested a nice cloth bottom to the customer but he really wants the cushion to be reversible with faux leather on all sides. I may just try the small grommets under the buttons.

I think with dense foam and small grommets you will be fine.  Another thing you could suggest ifs perforated vinyl that would solve all your issues or maybe perf on all 4 sides.