Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
Need Help? Call Us 415-423-3313
  • Welcome to The Upholster.com Forum. Please login or sign up.

May 06, 2024, 08:10:55 am

News:

Welcome to our new upholstery forum with an updated theme and improved functionality. We welcome your comments and questions to our forum! Visit our main website, Upholster.com, for our extensive supply of upholstery products, instructional information and videos, and much more.

American Furniture Chain (went broke & recliner parts needed)

Started by baileyuph, March 15, 2013, 06:23:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

baileyuph

In recent times, it is understood they went broke (they were a furniture retailer).

The issue here is how would one go about obtaining a recliner release control for one of their sold couches that had recliners?

The release control is mounted in the outside arm and is activated by a lever built into the unit.

This is something I haven't googled, there is little to go on other than it was sold by American until they went out of business.

I will try that approach, any ideas about how to find this part would be appreciated.

I have a customer with a broken lever (plastic broke).

Doyle

Joys Shop

sofadoc

E-bay has a lot of nice pics of release cables:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p1468660.m570.l1311.R0&_nkw=recliner+release+cable&_sacat=0&_from=R40

You may have to go ahead and pull the broken part off of the unit so you can match it up.

"Perfection is the greatest enemy of profitability" - Mark Cuban

byhammerandhand

I order directly from Leggett & Platt, the OEM of most mechs out there.  Even if they didn't make the original mech, they are fairly standard.   They sell two kinds: the parachute pull D-Ring that fits between the inside arm and the seat and the "car door" style that fits in the outside arm.
7151750000 - is the D-ring pull

1155000001 - is the Car Door pull

I usually order 10 at a time and they run about $13 each.   A bit more if you are ordering fewer because of shipping costs.

There are "short" and "long" ends on the cable -- the distance between the clip and the end clip.   That's an important distinction as the wrong one won't work.

Leggett & Platt, Incorporated
Attn: Don Nichols
PO Box 69
Cleveland, TN  37364

don.nichols@leggett.com

I've not ordered from these places, but they explain the differences:
http://gracerestorationsupplies.com/

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

baileyuph

The part broken is the car door pull, thanks Keith, good information.  You even gave the part number.

The cable leading down to the mechanism is fine, so if the plastic door pull is available that would be sufficient.

I will take the information to the customer and let them chase the issue.  It appears the plastic handle pull isn't strong.  It broke where the cable joins the pull.  The customer is livid, can't say anything good about the furniture sold in general, but particularlly the love seat they bought.  I just roll my eyes with sealed lips.  American Furniture was a very large chain with several stores across the country and there isn't a one still operating according the the economic news Mike.  If there were any francised stores, non corporate owned that might operate under the name, entirely possible.  But, I am not suggesting that because I do not know if they even sold any franchises.

Thanks again Hammer, you might have helped this customer.

If any of you have a used car handle pull laying around, that would get this customer out of the woods (Hammer?).  Like I said above, the cable is not damaged.

Doyle

sofadoc

Quote from: DB on March 16, 2013, 05:49:14 am
The customer is livid, can't say anything good about the furniture sold in general, but particularlly the love seat they bought.
Since MANY, MANY brands use those same cheap plastic parts, there's really no point in the customer being so livid about the one that they bought.

I will say, that some brands (of mechanisms) seem to be designed poorly in a way that puts more stress on the pull/cable assembly.
It's possible that the plastic pull failed because the mech is in a bind, and the customer "over-pulled".
And I've seen some people that subconsciously press against the footrest while pulling the release lever. Then when the footrest doesn't kick out, they pull even harder on the plastic. And some keep on pulling even after the footrest has already released (but didn't immediately kick out).

HAMMER:
While we're "kinda" on the subject of release cables, here's what I use to get the clip out of the mech:

Do you have a better tool, or technique?

byhammerandhand

I just normally use a pair or needlenose pliers.   Since my tool kit gets carried in on each job, I don't really want or need another specialty tool.   But that one looks quite clever.   What is it called?  I remember a school chum of mine turning rams into wethers with something like that.

The guy at L&P told me they bought the pulls from another company.   So, yes, they probably are all made the same.

I think a lot of people don't pull them straight out, but at an angle.   I'll sometimes reset the head at an angle if I suspect that.  Most often the cable breaks, but sometimes the mounting plate and sometimes the d-ring cracks where the wire comes in.   Car-door types often break the plastic at the wire connection.

Quote from: sofadoc on March 16, 2013, 06:43:08 am
Quote from: DB on March 16, 2013, 05:49:14 am
The customer is livid, can't say anything good about the furniture sold in general, but particularlly the love seat they bought.
Since MANY, MANY brands use those same cheap plastic parts, there's really no point in the customer being so livid about the one that they bought.

I will say, that some brands seem to be designed poorly in a way that puts more stress on the pull/cable assembly.
It's possible that the plastic pull failed because the mech is in a bind, and the customer "over-pulled".
And I've seen some people that subconsciously press against the footrest while pulling the release lever. Then when the footrest doesn't kick out, they pull even harder on the plastic. And some keep on pulling even after the footrest has already released (but didn't immediately kick out).

HAMMER:
While we're "kinda" on the subject of release cables, here's what I use to get the clip out of the mech:

Do you have a better tool, or technique?

Keith

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

sofadoc

Quote from: byhammerandhand on March 16, 2013, 02:50:43 pm
But that one looks quite clever.   What is it called?
I don't remember where I came across those pliers. I think they're intended for gripping small hoses, such as a stubborn automotive vacuum/fuel line hose that won't come off.

They work pretty good for getting the cable clips out. But I remember seeing your pic of all the tools that you carry into every home. I can see where you don't need another one.

byhammerandhand

March 17, 2013, 10:12:09 am #8 Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:13:24 am by byhammerandhand
"hose pliers" they are.   Not what I originally thought http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/producers-pridereg%3B-castrator-band-economy?cm_vc=-10005

I remember my friend telling me, "You don't want to be standing in front of the animal when the band went on."
Keith